Wednesday 31 December 2014

You Got It Wrong - Part Thirty Nine

Chapter Thirty Nine
Happy New Year to you all, starting to get my groove with this story again, a little spark and drama on the horizon. Hope you are all well. :)

Nina had dropped down onto the sand, and despite the approaching winter temperatures, she still kicked off her converse and slid her bare toes into the cold sand. It was exhilarating. The promenade was virtually empty, and it was starting to get dark, but that didn’t stop her from breaking into a skip, dancing on the wet sand avoiding the incoming waves, she had no idea why she felt so liberated, so free. But she had completed three sets of rings, and they were currently being delivered by Lilah, prior to her leaving for Cyprus. She truly did seem to be stronger, and possibly back to herself. There was a long way to go, Nina wasn’t stupid enough to think that this was it, dealt with, but it was more than a relief to have her confident and vibrant friend back.
Her feet were freezing, but she was uncaring, skipping along until she drew level with the road that led to her house. Walking up through the dry sand her feet became caked in it, but again she was uncaring.
                “NINA!”
She froze at the sound of her name, it sounded that is was travelling on the wind, but on the second shout, she could tell it was coming from behind her. Looking up, she felt her heart surge, moving towards her across the promenade was a cold and wind ruffled Theo. His hair was flapping in the breeze, and he was fighting to keep his coat held closed. But even though he was looking at her quizzically, he had a smile of relief on his face.
She jogged across the sand towards him then leapt up the steps and into his arms, uncaring of the cold pavement under her feet. The kiss that she was rewarded with made any cold disappear, her body zinged as she clung to him, reciprocating the ravenous actions of his lips.
                “Wow!” He finally came up for air, “that was...”
She grinned, “I missed you.”
It had been almost ten days since they’d last seen each other, and this visit was completely out of the blue.
                “I know. I came to talk to Mansell, then I was on my way to yours, hoping to surprise you...but then I spotted this nymph dancing in the icy water. Couldn’t believe that anyone was THAT crazy this time of year...then I realised it was YOU. You are more than crazy enough to dance in the sea in late October.”
She giggled, “it’s liberating. You should try it.”
He laughed, “standing here, in the middle of gale force nine is more than enough, you looked like you were having fun though.”
Nina nodded as she bent to wipe the dried sand off her feet, “cold now though!” She offered suddenly aware her teeth were chattering.
Grinning he scooped her up in his arms, “my car’s just across the road.” Striding towards it, he managed to open the door then lower her onto the passenger seat. Taking the scarf from around his neck, he used it to brush the sand off, then once he’d done that, he wrapped her feet in it and got in the driver seat. The car was still warm, but as the engine started warm heat pounded on to her cold feet and it was divine. Leaning back in the seat she turned to look at him was a lazy grin.
                “This is nice!”
He glanced from the road for a moment and smiled at her, “glad I could surprise you. Melody is with Daniel. And the first thing I wanted was to see you...after Mansell that is.”
Giggling she placed a hand on his thigh, “wouldn’t expect anything else.”
Rolling his eyes, Theo negotiated the car in the direction of her home.

Showered and changed into jeans and a sweater, Nina came downstairs to find Theo reading the newspaper in the lounge.
                “Better?” he asked looking up.
She nodded, “million times.”  Lowering herself on to the sofa she smiled, “can’t believe you’re here. How long have I got you for?”
                “Till the morning...if you want me that long.”
She pretended to ponder that for a moment but couldn’t fight the grin that broke out on her face, “best news.”
                “So shall we go out for dinner? Cinema?”
Again she pondered that rather dramatically, “later?”
He lifted an eyebrow in response, “later?”
Nina nodded, before pouncing on him dramatically.


It was dark when Nina dragged herself out of bed, pulling on a thick robe as the evening had become very cold.
                “I’ll put the heating on and grab us a coffee...you can think about where you’re going to take me for dinner.”
His laughed accompanied her downstairs.
                “Two mugs of coffee?” Lilah’s voice from behind her made Nina spin around and blush. “Afternoon delight, hey?”
Nina blushed again, “it wasn’t planned...”
Lilah laughed, “I don’t care, I told you I’m pleased for you...and if you’re interested, the drop offs went well today...got a few more customers lined up.”
                “Drop offs? Customers lined up? Are you sure you two aren’t in a drug cartel?”
Lilah turned to Theo’s voice and laughed, “nice one Peterson. But it’s defo jewellery. And very nice jewellery at that.”
He took the mug from Nina and nodded, “so I hear. Not seen much of it though.”
Nina patted his backside through his jeans, glad that he’d appeared dressed, “you never asked!”
                “So you’ll show me your workspace?”
She paused for a moment and Lilah leaned in, “she’s only shown me a few times, and I LIVE here!”
                “It’s something of a secret then is it?”
Nina shook her head, “no, but it’s a retreat, a place I go to think, for inspiration.” She looked at him, “you can see it if you want...though it’s nothing special.”
                “Do you WANT to show it to me?”
She shrugged, genuinely unsure. “I don’t mind, I feel Lilah’s holding it up as being a lot more than it really is.”

For Theo it felt so special, so intimate to follow Nina down the stairs in to the large basement below the house. Her eyes lit up in a way he hadn’t seen before as she turned to him.  The room was surprisingly light, considering the only windows at front and back were below the level of the house.
                “I’ve spent a lot of money on natural light,” she told him, almost reading his mind. “I need good lighting to work on designs, the more intricate, the more I need to see. And artificial light is no substitute. Don’t tell Lilah, but the higher watt replacement bulbs are like thirty quid.”
                “Does she control the house budget?”
She shook her head, “but I’m supposed to claim all these things on company expenses.”
                “And you don’t?”
She shrugged, “it’s all a bit too much fuss. I just want to make jewellery.”
He grinned, no one had that much joie de vivre anymore, no one loved simple things the way she did...not that there was anything simple about the ring she held out to show him.
                “This isn’t finished yet, I’ve got quite a bit to do, but it’s one of the more elaborate rings I’ve made.”
He stared at the ring, which almost seemed to be three rings within each other, a fine chain like ring, and a thicker matt type ring all set within a wider band, the three were entwined, but looked as though you could separate them too.
                “How the hell do you do that? It reminds me of the Chinese puzzle ball my grandfather has.”
                “He has one of them? Wow, that is what this is modelled on; the couple met at an auction, both wanted one. How crazy! Aren’t they made of ivory?”
Theo grimaced, “yep, but it’s old...antique. New ivory is the real taboo...illegal actually.”
The next ring she handed him was deep, set with dozens of diamonds, but the depth of the ring was also intricate, filigree designed.
                “You are amazing! These are...I’m speechless!”
She had her hand behind her back and blushed, looking coyly at the floor. “Thanks.”
Grinning he pulled her into his arms, “I had NO idea that your work was so amazing. I’m in the presence of a genius!”
Nina was never good with compliments, and she found her work creative, interesting, but she didn’t think truly, that she was as special as he made out.
                “I suppose our jobs aren’t that different. We both create things.”
That made Theo laugh, “me? I rebuild buildings, it’s very technical, there’s not an inch of creative thought in it.”
She shook her head, “your background is architecture, and that is beautiful, creative. Don’t underestimate yourself in that.”
He held the ring out to her with a tenderness that pulled at her heartstrings, “no, THIS is beauty. Don’t ever think differently.”
The room was nothing more than a workshop, various benches, machines, but there was also a drawing table at one end. It was perfect for Nina, not cluttered, but eclectic. He looked at her and smiled.
                “Thanks for sharing this with me, I love it here.”
She grinned awkwardly, “I kind of love it here. I can switch off to everything.”
He smiled, “that’s important.”


An hour later they were sat in a small wine bar deep amongst the Lanes of Brighton, and they were eating huge prawns in garlic butter messily washing it down with an ice cold Chardonnay.
                “So what’s happening with your father’s house?”
Nina glanced up at Theo, “way to go ruining the atmosphere!”
When he laughed she smiled, “James has been trying to call me for days. There have been dozens of views to the house, but no one offered...yet. Think that’s because of the two sour faced residents. So I’m in the process of getting them removed.” She sighed, “I don’t want to see them homeless, I’m not that horrible...”
He reached out and placed a hand over hers, “I know that, they’ve abused everything. The money they’ve had, wasted, your father’s legacy...if nothing else think of what they did to him.”
She nodded, “I was looking at renting them a flat somewhere cheap, but somewhere they can live...I can’t see them completely out on the street.”
He peeled another juicy prawn as she spoke, then slipped it into his mouth, and after chewing it with a groan of pleasure, he offered, “I think if you give them anything they’ll never learn...they’ll keep coming to you hand extended happy to take your charity. Life is hard, but we’ve all forged our own way, our own paths. You know?”
She loved that he was trying to support her, make her believe she’d done the right thing, even when she wasn’t sure she had.
                “Can we not talk about them anymore? They’re like poison! Tell me about Melody. How is she?”

Theo wasn’t ready to bring Sadie into their night by talking about her custody battle, instead he smiled, “well, maybe I’ve taken your advice.”
That caused her to raise an eyebrow and he laughed, “I was talking to Mansell today...we’re taking him back to London, Daniel and me, well we’re swapping homes, his house is bigger, and we’re making the back part of the house a kind of granddad flat for him. I’ll move in with Melody, hopefully as you suggested I can employ someone to care for both of them on times...then I’ll be able to take my foot off the gas a touch.”
She nodded, “that’s great. A brilliant idea. Where’s Daniel’s home? Does he mind downgrading?”
Again Theo laughed, “my home is not slum!”
                “I didn’t say it was, but a house is usually bigger than an apartment.”
                “Mine is so central that it’s easier for him to get to work...he’s looking forward to it. Chelsea is a little further out for me, but I’ll save time hopefully with childcare and stuff.”
She leaned back in her chair, “so things are finally looking up?”
                “I finally have things in order and can spend a little more time...getting to know you.”
The words seemed innocent, but the look that accompanied them was anything but.


2 comments:

  1. I feel like their relationship has taken a step further when Nina showed her sanctuary to him. Everything seems so great at the moment. But I feel like a storm is brewing. Can't wait to continue reading. Thank you for the brilliant chapter :D

    Samaira T

    ReplyDelete
  2. Their relationship is making progress, but ......

    Love the story MZ. Keep it up.
    Annie

    ReplyDelete