Monday 20 June 2011

Starting Over - Chapter four - Getting to know you

Chapter Four - Getting to know you!





 It was well into the early hours when Ellen found herself alone with Jan again. They were sat at a small bar on adjacent stools, a beer and a shot of tequila in front of them.

                “So how are you out here Jan? I mean this is such a....”

He laughed out loud, “it’s fun! I love the people, the kids. I mean I get paid to play games.”

She’d earlier been amazed to learn he was two years older than her at twenty seven, but that only made her more suspicious. She didn’t see this as a career choice for someone who should clearly be thinking about more than Jenga, water polo, and kids discos. Where does one go from this level of entertainment? Management? She hated sounding so condescending, but she’d been financially independent since finishing college and couldn’t really respect someone who was still bumming around.

                “But is this where you see yourself in the future?”

Chuckling he tried to look indignant, “is this an interview? I don’t have a wife, no children, why can’t I just experience a fun life. More people should!”

                “I suppose I find it hard to think about.”

                “It’s a risk for people,” he agreed, “but I am happy taking risks. Toiling nine to five is a safe option. I mean where has it got you really?”

She felt tears well at her eyes at the harsh reality. For all her playing by the rules, she’d committed two hundred percent to a man who’d left her high, dry and completely broke. If Jan walked away tomorrow, at least he’d have no debt, he’d be no worse than when he started. She was broken, four years ruined, stripped bare in seconds.

                “You’re right! It’s not got me anywhere! Do you parents approve?”

He laughed, “My mother thinks I’m a bum, but she knows I’m dynamic, that I’ll survive anything, my father’s dead. He died six years ago. I’ve got three sisters who are all married and have a whole host of children so that kind of keeps her occupied, I’m lucky! My brother is just out of University, finding his way...he’ll toe the line, I’m sure.”

                “Five of you? Your mother must be a saint. I’ve got two sisters, and that’s enough!”

He sipped his drink knowingly, “I like a full house, its great fun! But not enough that I want to settle down and have my own kids! This is a summer of fun!”

Ellen suddenly realised how far apart they really were, she’d envisaged a future of children, family and being a wife, he was here to sow his oats and have fun.  Who was right? At the moment she thought it was him.

Reaching for the tequila, she tipped salt onto her hand and licked it, then downed the shot, before sucking the wedge of lime.

                “Another!” she called out then geed him on to do the same.

Shaking his head he copied her action before throwing a note at the barman to cover the next drink.

                “Amelia will take you back in a taxi, ok?”

She shrugged, “where are you and Cisco going?”

He sipped his beer before replying, “Accommodation comes with the job, normally I sleep at the hotel, but I do have an apartment here that I use too. A few of us share, just to save on taxis, but also because I would rather be away from the hotel on my days off.”

                “And you’re off tomorrow?”

He shook his head, “no, I’m in for half past ten, I’d offer you to stay, but there are a few guys...no beds...and I’m being a gentleman!”

At that moment Amelia arrived, complaining that she’d been looking for us for ages. As Ellen stood to leave, Jan jumped up and hugged her, a really affectionate gesture. Using it as a chance to whisper in her ear, “I’m off the day after tomorrow. I could show you the island? Think about it!”

With that Amelia dragged her out into the mild evening.


A groan preceded Ellen’s eyes opening the following day. A glance at her watched showed it was after 10 am, dragging herself to her feet, she waited for the room to stop spinning.  Opening the doors to her balcony, she was greeted by the sound of the daily aerobics session just starting, led by the extremely irritating and not at all hung over voice of Jan.  Dressing into yet another bikini, she pulled a sarong around her body and hid under a floppy sunhat and her large dark shades.

Slinking around the outskirts of the terrace she tried to avoid Jan, knowing he’d gloat at her current state.

                “Good morning to you all,” he boomed mid aerobic routine, “Guten Morgen allerseits, froh, so viele von Ihnen an diesem Morgen zu sehen! Bonjour à tous, heureux de voir tant d'entre vous ce matin! Buenos días a todos, me alegro de ver que muchos de ustedes esta mañana! It’s nice to see so many of you joining us this morning!”

Ellen stopped in her tracks and glared at him from behind her shades, a peal of laughter burst out over the speakers. Fortunately all the participants had their backs to her as she raised her middle finger in defiance.

He was still laughing as she disappeared down to a lower level, shaded spot. On a reclining seat she managed to sleep.

It seemed like hours had passed when she finally woke.  But she felt a lot better, signalling to a waiter, she ordered a tomato juice and a bacon sandwich. Just what the doctor ordered, she was eating in rather too energetically when she felt rather than saw someone approach.

Glancing up she spotted Jan, leaning against the handrail of the stairs talking to a glamorous woman, she was stood in the most ridiculously skimpy bikini, batting eyelashes at him, a hand placed over his arm.

It was quite obscene and she was glad to have the waiter arrive with her food. Tucking into the sandwich she had a mouthful of food when a shadow cast over her plate. Looking up she laughed. Jan stood there, a knowing grin on his face.

                “Headache today Ellen?”

She shrugged, “I’ve felt better.” Swiping at her mouth with the back of her wrist she hoped that there was no tomato ketchup splattered against her face.

                “I did worry when you weren’t at breakfast! Are you ok for tomorrow? We can leave at nine o’clock?”

                “I don’t want to cramp your style.” She gestured towards the woman, who was still hovering close by.

                “Her? She’s just asking about the games we’re playing later. I will see you properly after breakfast. I’m working until midnight. Ok?”

She half wanted to refuse, this was too soon, and too complicated. She had no intention of falling into some sort of rebound, but the thought of another day alone at the hotel.... “Ok, nine o’clock!”

With a beaming smile he mock saluted her then disappeared back into the attentive company of Ms Obvious.

Ellen wasn’t someone who enjoyed lying for hours in the sun, and at the thought of an afternoon in blazing heat feeling a little worse for wear, did not appeal, so she made for her room. Stripping off she pumped up the aircon, then slipped between the cool freshly laundered sheets.

It was dark when she woke. And she’d missed dinner. Suddenly ravenous and thirsty, she showered, wound her hair up into a neat French pleat slid on a maxi dress over some underwear, then made her way down to the bar. There was a hot food platter constantly being updated at the end of the bar, so with a large diet coke, she helped herself to pizza, fries and lots of salad. Sitting away from the bustle of the entertainment she ate, drank, then read her book, happy to just relax alone. She heard Jan, Katrin and Amelia in fine form organising karaoke, quizzes and bingo, but that was as far as it went. She decided on a stroll along the beach later, finally feeling normal again.

Deciding on a relatively early night, the last few weeks were obviously starting to take their toll on her, she cut back across the terrace and into the foyer. As she was waiting for the elevator she heard voices in the indoor bar reserved for the entertainment in bad weather then gasped as she saw Ms Obvious throw herself at Jan, truthfully he looked a little stunned, but it was enough for Ellen. As the doors were closing he’d freed himself from the arms of his admirer and his eyes coincidentally found hers and his face dropped.

She’d been in bed for ten minutes or more, the TV was offering CNN or BBC News24 in English, so she chose the latter and was watching the goings on in the Middle East from under her sheets when the phone on the bedside table rang.

                “Hello?” she picked up, surprised at anyone contacting her.

                “Don’t hang up!” It was Jan. “Please come tomorrow, it’s not what you think, I promise.”

She laughed, hiding the hurt that she felt with every breath, “it’s no business of mine.”
               
                “Please come tomorrow. Even if it’s just to talk.”

                “Ok!” she agreed, though the sheen at the thought of the day had definitely faded.



Ellen woke early so she headed to the beach and swam for half an hour, pacing back and forth across the small bay. She was both exhilarated and refreshed when she strode back onto the sand. She showered in her room and dressed for a day in the sun, a tangerine bikini with a turquoise vest and turquoise and white shortie surf shorts. Packing only the smallest bag with her sun block, phone and cash, she headed to breakfast and then on to meet Jan.

He was wearing a sleeveless white t-shirt and white and navy floral patterned surf shorts, and was sat astride the moped when she strode into the hotel car park. He was talking to one of the chefs and they were both stuffing boxes into the rucksack he held.

                “Ellen!” he smiled when he saw her. “I’m so glad you came.” He turned to the chef shaking his hand energetically, “muchas gracias Pedro, usted es un verdadero amigo!”

She looked at him questioningly. “I was telling him he’s a true friend.” Was there anyone that disliked him? He waved goodbye to the older man. “It serves to keep in with the kitchen staff, they’ve made us a great packed lunch....the only problem is, that as you’re at the back you’ll have to wear the bag.”

She shrugged, “that’s no problem.” Slipping it over her shoulders she climbed onto the bike behind him, and with a whoosh they were off again.
 After a few minutes they were in a nearby resort, the roads were busier, so he pulled over.

                “I can explain about last night!” he offered.

She shrugged, “it’s none of my business what you do!” She really didn’t feel like that anymore, she knew it, but she was so desperate to remain aloof.

                “I invited you!” he offered, climbing off the moped and standing to face her. “I didn’t plan that...well, she threw herself on me.”

                “You already told me that you’re here for the fun Jan, why should I worry if you kiss ten women? It’s nothing to do with me!”

She saw a flash on anger in his eyes, “you look down at me all the time! Do you really think that you are perfect? Immune to all this? Above me?”

Shaking her head she looked away, “I know what holidays are like, tourists....workers. Its fine Jan, I’m just looking forward to a day out of that hotel. No games, no kids, no noise!”

                “If you hate it so much why do you sit there hour after hour watching us and everyone else?”

                “What?” the question really did flummox her.

                “I’m not psychologist...” he said it phonetically sounding the ‘p’ which surprised her with its endearing quality. “But I find it strange that you describe torture in all that we do in the hotel, yet you watch it all, not missing anything. If you hate it why don’t you go away? I’d almost think you were used to watching others, used to taking a back seat for things.” He glared at her and she wanted his friendly smile not the scowl she saw now, “if the tourists, the staff are all too much....then maybe you should never have come here!”

She was stunned by his outburst, taking a moment to digest all that he said, finally she answered, “I didn’t plan to be here alone, and if I’d known how it would feel to be lonely in such busy place then I’d never have come. But I’m here and there’s nothing I can do about it for another eleven days.” She sighed, “if you want to take me back I understand, I didn’t realise I was such a burden.”

Jan was shaking his head, then he took her shoulders, forcing her to look at him, “maybe we both said the wrong things, and are both guilty of judging each other. Can we start again? I think we’ll have a good time today.”

He offered a hand, to shake, and she took it, “I’ll try and lighten up, if you do?”

Grinning he agreed, “I enjoy my days off, and I don’t want to spoil it!”

4 comments:

  1. i m sorry i couldnt comment yesterday.... i ws just awfully busy....
    bt i did read both the chapters today!!!! and glad that ellen is finally coming out of her cocoon..... no matter how slowly.... :)
    i just wish these 11 dayz will be enough for them to fall in love with each other... and most importantly.... to recognize the luv in the air... <3 :)

    SURABHI

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey just read this chapter. Didn't realize that you had posted this one until now.
    I am really wondering what will happen next. They seem to really hit it off now!
    It is very interesting how Ellen reacted to the situation with Jan and the other woman that was kissing him.

    Sorry about not responding about Lively in the last few chapters! Work has been hectic but no Lively could never disappoint me. I was sad because I thought she didn't trust in me anymore.

    Take care <3,
    Lovely P.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Me again =D
    I forgot to tell you, I love the picture!

    xoxo,
    Lovely P.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Surabhi - yep she's getting there very slowly! She's got a lot to get over, but is an interlude with Jan the answer? Who knows!?

    Lovely - They are hitting it off, and she's reassessing her past, which is a good thing, right?
    Glad you and Lively are all sorted, sisters are too important to fall out with!
    Love the pic too, I'm trying to get one for every chapter (which is proving to be harder than writing the story!), without giving away character appearances...they need to from our imaginations!!

    New chapter soon:)

    ReplyDelete