Tuesday 28 June 2011

Starting Over - Chapter Nine - Getting along....

Chapter Nine - Getting along


Ellen had kept a low profile most of the day, she was tired, emotionally tired and she needed rest. She missed dinner, purely because she didn’t want to make small talk to anyone else who might be placed on the same table as her. Around nine, she headed down to the small bar she’d hidden out in earlier in the day, then ordered a beer and a cheeseburger. Cisco was the barman and he tried to strike up a conversation, Ellen smiled politely then backed away to a small table in a secluded corner. They may have had a few exchanges of conversation on their mutual night out with Jan and Amelia a few days earlier, but she wasn’t in the mood for talking.

An hour later she headed to the pool terrace, a ‘Talent’ competition was in full swing, and Klaus – the dart winner from earlier in the week was showing his amazing talent that was balancing a spoon on his nose whilst singing in German. ‘Overwhelmed’ Ellen ordered a beer then sat in her usual hidey hole at the back of the patio, away from everyone. Ernie was hosting the event, but every now and again Amelia would assist. It was only when she recognised Jan’s voice coming over the speakers that she realised he was organising the music for the event, multi talented! She thought to herself.

The contest was eventually won by Gloria, middle aged woman from Manchester who could gargle four different National Anthems (God Save the Queen, La Marseillaise, Deutschlandlied and the Star - Spangled Banner), then the whole place erupted into a drunken disco. Ellen chuckled at the various escapades occurring. Now she knew she was meeting Jan and she didn’t feel so lonely, so out of place, she could actually laugh along with the other residents.

Once the Animacion team had cleared up, the music continued to blare, and the people dance. Ellen looked at her watch, it was only 11.15, she had forty-five minutes until Jan was meeting her. At that moment he appeared with Amelia and Ernie, and suddenly they were all mobbed, the kids wanted to dance with them, the men shake hands and share a joke, and the women, in particular with Jan, wanted to throw themselves at him.  He danced with two young girls, probably twelve, twirling them around to the music in a jive style before he spotted her, his look was apologetic, she smiled, she knew he’s chosen the two kids as a safer option than any of the older predatory women.
Finishing her drink she smiled discreetly at him, then made her way down to the beach, this was tantamount to torture sitting, waiting. She’d barely reached the bottom of the steps to the sand, when two arms slid around her and a mouth breathed in her ear, “it’s dangerous walking in the dark on your own you know?”

She chuckled, turning in his arms to receive his gentle but promising kiss.

                “I thought you were working til midnight?”

He nodded, “I am, but I got Ernie to cover for me, I couldn’t let you go out here alone...” he kissed her nose, “without me!”

Letting him take her hand she followed him down onto the sand, then he paused, disappearing behind the stacked and bound sun beds that were stored every evening, emerging with a rucksack.

                “I planted this earlier!” He took a hand again, “didn’t want to think about lying on cold sand.”

She dragged her toes through the dry warm sand, “it’s definitely not cold!”

Away from the steps where an outcrop of rocks gave them some privacy, he spread out a large fluffy blanket. With a sigh she sank on to it, then grinned as he also bought a bottle of red wine, two glasses, and a small candle lamp which he then proceeded to light, providing a romantic glow to their special intimate little space. She lay on her back, watching him provide the basics for their interlude, then he sprawled out next to her, on his side, facing her, his head supported on his upturned hand.

                “I’ve wanted to see you all day Ellen!”

She smiled, “I know, it’s been difficult!”

One handed he filled her glass, then lifted it to her mouth so she could sip without moving.

                “So has your father called you again?” he asked. She’d confided the details of her father’s call to him as they’d drank and wandered the previous evening. When she shook her head he asked, “You need to tell him, about that bastard...the money...”

She shook her head, “I won’t worry him with that Jan, he has enough to do with my mother.” She lowered her voice despite the fact that they were the only two for miles, “she’s neurotic. And yesterday was the first time that he’s admitted that to me. I can’t worry him with this, I’ll deal with it, somehow, when I get home.”

                “Does he have a weak spot? This Richard? You need to gain some hold over him.”

She shook her head, “I was instrumental in helping him get the biggest contract and merger of his life. I indirectly made the company.” She went on to explain how in his World of Advertising, Hamer Williams Broughton Associates (of which he was the Broughton) was the fastest growing company in Britain, and he’d been nominated as “Young Advertising Executive of the Year” by the Professional Body, a ceremony set to occur in a few weeks time, the wedding had been timed well to schmooze a lot of the Board of selectors.

Jan was shaking his head, “what an absolute bastard. But you can’t let this ride, you really need to work this out Ellen, you CANNOT let him win.”

She sighed, lifting a hand to cup his cheek, “a week ago I would have agreed, but you’ve made me realise there’s more to life than this - revenge, anger. I just don’t want to ever set eyes on him again.”
He swooped down for a kiss, something that she’d SO quickly come to love. Inside she baulked at the use of that word. She’d never love anyone ever again. That she was sure of. But now as those bloody enchanting lips teased hers, she couldn’t think about the future...or the past...just the here and now.

The kiss soon became more; the straps of her top were slid down, his jeans unbuckled, her skirt lifted, his short torn open their bodies entwined. Ellen couldn’t imagine anything more romantic than this, making love under the stars, a shaft of moonlight illuminating their desire. Afterwards they rested, her head on his bare chest, his heart beat the rhythm that she relaxed to, his arms holding her close.

                “How much time can we spent together Jan?” she asked eventually lifting her head. “I go home in six days...I just want us to spend every possible moment together.”

He tipped her gently on to her side, rolling to face her, “I finish early tomorrow, we could go to the apartment, I could cook you dinner? The next day is difficult, but at least I’m not working early so I can have breakfast with you....then I’m off the next day. But that’s it; we’ll have a few midnight walks the last few days.”

She sighed dropping her eyes, “I’m gutted, I spend four days hating it here, then three days later I never want to leave!”

He smiled, “I want to make the most of you too! I can’t believe there are only six days to eat you up!” With a growl he pounced back on her.


The countdown to leaving the hotel with his became her every focus. She spent the day at the beach, relaxing and topping up her tan, she wanted to look as good as possible when she finally got home and faced the music.

As she was straightening her hair that evening, when her phone rang, she’d almost forgotten to charge it the last few days, as other than her father no one had contacted her at all. She supposed no one knew what to say to her, how to deal with her, after all they probably thought she’d spent the last week in floods of tears, they couldn’t be more wrong. Who’d have imagined that she’d meet Jan, feel human so quickly?

Not bothering to check the display she instantly spoke, “hello?”

There was a pause before a small voice said, “I didn’t think you’d answer to me Ellen!”

It was Rebecca, suddenly Ellen’s heart was pounding, she had no idea what she wanted to say to her so called best friend. Words really had failed her.

                “Ellen? Are you still there?  I was all set to leave you an answer phone message.” Rebecca’s voice dwindled off awkwardly.

                “I’m still here. I wasn’t expecting it to be you...I didn’t look.” Her voice was quieter than she imagined it would be.

                “I know sorry sounds so inadequate, but I really needed to speak to you...” Another lengthy pause. “Ellen...what can I say?”

Ellen sighed, “Rebecca I thank you for highlighting to me what a lying, conniving, cheating bastard my so-called fiancĂ© was, but looking back I couldn’t have expected any more from him...but you...”

                “I know. I was stupid, selfish...I don’t know what came over me...but after the first time I swore it wouldn’t happen....”

                “FIRST time?” Suddenly Ellen sparked into life. “I at least presumed that this was a one-off! I couldn’t imagine that my best friend, the person who I have shared every emotion with the last few years had accidentally fallen on to my fiancĂ©’s dick! But you tell me that wasn’t the first time? In the cold light of day you CHOSE to go back for more? All the times I confided in you, my insecurities...this is like the BIGGEST betrayal ever.”

Sobs were the only reply along the phone line. A few days earlier the need for her friend to be there was an underlying yet overwhelming need, now, she knew she didn’t need anyone; she deserved to be surrounded with people who deserved her, did right by her.

                “Sorry Rebecca, I have nothing else to say!”

As she hung up she felt sad, so many years, so many memories wiped away by a stupid, selfish act, but that was how it had to be.

Half an hour later she was waiting for Jan in the usual place next to his moped. After an earth shattering kiss, he pulled back breathless and looked at her, “what’s wrong?”

She sighed, “I’ll tell you later. Can we just get out of here?”

He nodded, sliding on to the bike and starting the engine. In thirty minutes they were pulling into Palma and she was relaxed around his body. Jan was grinning as he pulled into the parking space outside the building, this was what he liked, her happy, relaxed. He was so aware that this rarely had happened for her until now.

 Following Jan into the apartment she froze as she took in the bags of food adorning the counter, he turned to her with a smile, “I had a delivery from the supermarket earlier.  One of the boys stayed here, so I asked him to bring the bags in. I didn’t want to offer to cook and have no food.”  He rummaged in a bag before finding a bottle of red wine. Within seconds he’d got her a bar stool and perched her near his work surface with a gold fish bowl full of rioja. He had large langoustines, rice, artichokes, things that needed preparation, and he embraced it smiling as he wrestled the food.

Ellen wandered over to the music system and browsed the CD collection. After a few moments she looked up, “not a lot here really, is there?”

He chuckled, “I’ve not noticed, like I say I’m barely here. They may be my Dad’s....or shit...my brothers!”

                “Which is worse?” She asked with a laugh as she pulled out her iPod, she’d been relieved to see a dock on the system. Plugging in, she selected a play list that was her mellow listen, Moby, Zero 7, Elevator Suite, and some old school Indie thrown in, she was singing along to Tender by blur as she returned to her seat.

                “So who taught you to cook?”  She asked reaching out and stealing a baton of carrot from the chopping board.

                “My gran! I spent so many holidays there, weekends. She was a great cook and she made me interested in food. I’ve always thought cooking for someone is such an expression of yourself. Maybe you’ll learn something about me?”

She chuckled, “extravagant ingredients...lots of garnishing...Hmm what does that say then?”

Swiping at her with a cloth she laughed even louder, before drinking more of her delicious wine.

                “So you going to explain what happened earlier? Why you were so stressed?”

Ellen sighed, sipped her wine, “umm, Rebecca called.”

                “The ‘best friend’?” he asked suddenly stopping what he was doing. “What excuse did she have?”

                “I didn’t let her give one, but well...” she gave a brief resume of their conversation how angry she’d been at her audacity to expect forgiveness, and the fact that the affair had been more than a one night thing.

Jan was quiet as she finished, he was simmering the rice, waiting to add the seafood.

                “I came to a conclusion before I spoke to her, and the conversation only confirmed I was right.” He looked up and she smiled, “I was settling for Richard, I thought he was the best I could get...I know now, that I was wrong, you made me realise that!” She walked towards him, “I can’t thank you enough for making me see where I was wrong.” Sliding her arms around his neck she smiled at him seductively, “I owe you...big style. How long til dinner?”

Jan sighed as he looked down at her, “five minutes to eat it fresh, whenever if I reheat it...”

Taking his hand she led him to the bedroom before looking back over her shoulder, “so reheated at a later time.....what does that tell me about you??”

Bursting into laughter he wrestled her onto the bed, pausing above her to growl, “that I’m insatiable!”

The next two days passed in a comfortable buzz, after their romantic night in, they’d shared breakfast. Ellen barely saw him the following day, but the day after that was his day off, so he took her to a water park where like children they rode on flumes, kamikaze slides and wave machines. Exhausted they headed home to a romantic yet tired evening together. Now Ellen sat watching the waves hit the rocks from her balcony, it was stormy, humid, there was definitely thunder on the horizon, literally and metaphorically. Two days left. Despite the warnings, telling herself at every opportunity that this was a holiday romance that it was just temporary, she had fallen for Jan, so hard. She’d lain awake the previous night, wondering if this was a rebound thing. Was this her fragile damaged heart healing too quickly for the wrong man?

All she knew was this was more painful fear than anything she’d experienced to date...her mother’s constant snubbing, the inadequacies of her sisters success, glamour, losing Rebecca, the failed wedding, Richard....How ironic that he was the bottom of the list! So she had to steel herself, build up her defences so that she could walk away with her dignity intact and her memories forever.

7 comments:

  1. Oh my! Rebecca is the worst 'best friend' ever! I don't know how she could of called Ellen for forgiveness.

    I cannot believe that she has only a few more days in paradise. I would like to live there forever!

    xoxo,
    Lovely

    ReplyDelete
  2. omg i just luv ur new story m so so happy 2 read ur story n mostly no waitin u rock omg i just luv ur new story m so so happy 2 read ur story n mostly no waitin u rock

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have three words for you: I luv it!

    I am so exited to learn where the story will head with both of their lives!

    =)
    Lively

    ReplyDelete
  4. I too am enjoying the freedom of your blog! It means that i get more chapters to read per week.

    On the characters...Jan is so not my type. He's too carefree for me...and Ellen...she needs to figure herself out first and find confidence in who she is as an individual separate and apart from her mother's ideals and sisters' model images or else she will keep getting hurt.

    Keep penning MZ..always loving your stories,
    Kim

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey! Gud to know that ellen is moving ahead so swiftly.... Bt seriously, cant imagine any1 being sooo generous that she is nt bitter towards the person who ruined her life and stashed her self confidence so brutally!!!

    And rebbeca is gutsy enough!! Nw she is realizing wt she lost?? And thank God our miss generous didnt forgive her!! :-)

    and loved the beach date part as usual!! U just make it sound too romantic! :-PHey! Gud to know that ellen is moving ahead so swiftly.... Bt seriously, cant imagine any1 being sooo generous that she is nt bitter towards the person who ruined her life and stashed her self confidence so brutally!!!

    And rebbeca is gutsy enough!! Nw she is realizing wt she lost?? And thank God our miss generous didnt forgive her!! :-)

    and loved the beach date part as usual!! U just make it sound too romantic! :-P

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hiya :D

    Sorry to have disappeared yet again, school is so hectic at the moment. I had four assessments on today consecutively, SO exhausting!

    But I've just caught up on everything and you've left me smiling :) This is such a good way to end a stressful week!

    I can't believe Rebecca! Not the first time?! That's inexcusable for a supposed best friend, I'm assuming ex best friend now. Well, hoping at least. If however, you do surprise me, you always have good reason to.

    Ellen and Jan are soooo sweet together, I don't know how I'm gonna take it when she leaves! I love how he's always like telling her to get revenge. YES. DO IT. Hahahaha you know how I love that kinda stuff! Nothing better than a attitude thats like yeah I'm better off without your cheating ass :P Ahahah sadistic side... Need to calm down...

    So keep up the great work! Know I'll always come back despite these annoying breaks. Ciao ;D

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lovely - Are they ever the worst best friend? And yep, end of holiday approaching :/

    tia - TY SO much! Love fan comments more than anything!!

    Lively - SO glad TY so much! :)

    Kim - the freedom is SO what makes this site good. As for story, so far Jan has brought nothing to the table, isn't that the point? And hope that you see Ellen doing it for herself? Awaiy your review!

    Surabhi - Yep aiming for romantic beach date:) But yes friend, family makes it all up for debate!! She's been hard done by all round!

    Alison - I so love any of your attention....am never presumptious with it. And yep, well identified, the goodbye will be hard.....


    Love you ALL, xxx

    ReplyDelete