Saturday 23 August 2014

After All - Part Fifty Seven

Chapter Fifty Seven
A/N Sorry, I've been both hectic, and had a little writer's block when it came to ending this story, think this ending is a little flat. Not sure how you guys feel about it??
A final chapter to come, then the new story that's emerging will start in a couple of days. 
Let me know how you'd change this story as I'm struggling!

 
Dylan squeezed her hand as Matilda froze dead in her tracks, “come on sweetheart, we HAVE to deal with this, don’t we?”
Despite the question it was far more statement than that, she looked up at him for a moment, “way to burst our bubble hey?”
He smiled, “can build a bigger thicker impenetrable bubble once we’ve done this ok?” He squeezed her hand, “this is forever, don't forget that.”
Nodding she started the walk towards Gareth.

                “Matilda...I er...I wanted to apologise for earlier, I should have been more hospitable. You came all this way...”
She shook her head, “I don’t give a damn about hospitality, but I care about you accepting me, accepting Dylan. That’s the deal here, all or nothing. I told you that earlier.”
Dylan admired her spunk as she started to walk away from her brother towards the lift, he met Gareth’s eyes and gave a sympathetic shrug, and immediately her brother started to laugh.
                “Stop Matilda, when did you get so bossy?”
She stopped dead in her tracks, then turned to face him angrily, “you think this is a joke?”
Gareth groaned, “you’re shouting at me, dragging Dylan like a puppy. Forgive me if I see the funny side of it.”
Dylan grinned, “you know how feisty she is Gareth, I’m surprised you’re surprised.”
He sighed, “she hasn’t been though...for a long time.”
He face was pained as he looked between his sister and her lover, then ran a hand over his eyes, “ok, ok. I get that you’ve got your groove back; Dad hasn’t stopped telling me that. But I can’t forget what you did Dylan, I really can’t.”
Dylan nodded, “and I don’t blame you for that, I’m willing to prove myself to her...and you. I know I was wrong.”
Matilda stepped between them, “we were BOTH wrong. It was as much my fault as his. I goaded him, my bluff failed...that was my fault I was trying to force a reaction...I got the wrong one.”
She stared at Gareth and Dylan felt sorry for him, “Gareth, we were never best mates before, but I don’t want to be enemies, ok?”
Gareth nodded, “do you want a drink?” He gestured to the bar, “I don’t want to give the reception staff anymore of a thrill...I’m a bank manager here you know?”
Matilda’s scowl was still evident, but Dylan chuckled and tugged on her arm, and reluctantly she succumbed.

Sat at a corner table at the huge glass window that over looked the view of the town; she crossed her legs and arms, then stared at her brother.
Gareth shook his head then turned to Dylan, “I presume you’re more of an expert...do you know the way through this?”
Dylan was still laughing, and when he gave a shrug he became the victim of the scowl too.
                “Matilda.” Gareth leaned forward, “don’t be like this, I came here to sort things out, not cause more problems.”
She nodded, then added snippily, “so says the man who threw his toys out of his pram earlier! Gareth don’t come all holier than thou with me.”
Dylan sniggered beside her and she turned to stare at him, “you’re laughing at me?”
He put his arm around her and pulled her into his side, “just relax, Gareth has come to you, come to talk. Don’t push him away.”
Gareth sighed, “I get why you’re angry...” He paused as a waiter took their order then turned back to her. “I was out of order, I get that. But I care about you Matilda; I don’t want to see you hurt again.”
She shook her head, “you didn’t see me hurt though did you Gareth. Mum wasn’t cold in her grave and you were gone, leaving me and Dad to deal with it all. Don’t throw all the brotherly concern on me here, because you weren’t there. Were you?”
                “You begrudge me my own life?”
She shook her head, “of course not. I don’t wish my misery on anyone else, but you are making a judgement on something you know nothing about. This is more about your guilt than it is about mine.”
He hung his head for a moment, “I don’t feel guilty, not really. But I have felt helpless. This job here was a great opportunity, I didn’t do wrong by taking it, and Mum would have wanted me to do this. But I’ve seen how Dada has worried, he wanted to move out here years ago, but he couldn’t, he...and I, we were both worried about you.”
She took a deep breath, “so you’re saying Dad couldn’t do what he wanted because of me? Because I NEVER asked him for anything, even on the days I couldn’t afford dinner, I never asked him to do anything.”
Dylan reached out and placed a hand on her shoulder, “don’t misread Gareth, and don’t get angry. You know that your Dad will worry about you until his dying day. I think that Gareth is feeling bad that he couldn’t ease that load for him.”
She looked up at him, tears in her eyes, “why are you defending him? YOU are the one he hates.”
Dylan shook his head, “Gareth doesn’t hate me, he doesn’t want to welcome me back in to the family easily, and I can get that.” He looked at her brother for a moment, “as I told your father, no one hates me for what happened like I hate myself. But we all make mistakes, and all I’m asking is for a second chance. You’ve given me it, so has your father,” he smiled, “and at some point Gareth will too.”
Gareth groaned, “you always were a smarmy bastard who knew exactly what to say to get what you wanted.”
There was humour rather than animosity in his voice, and Dylan chuckled, “your mother couldn’t resist my sweet talking!”
Her brother smiled, “no, that’s true. Neither could Matilda.”
                “You REALLY haven’t seen her the last year have you? She hit me, humiliated me, shouted at me, went behind my back...any luck I had charming her has long gone.”
Gareth slumped back in his seat, “you hurt her I’m coming after you this time.”
Dylan grinned, “I wouldn’t expect anything less.”
Matilda looked between them and groaned, “you two...”
As she shook her head, Dylan and Gareth laughed, and as the waiter arrived with their drinks, they started to talk in a way they hadn’t in years. And it wasn’t until then that she realised how distant she’d become from her brother. As they left for bed later that night, they both had agreed to visit Gareth’s home the following day for dinner. It was a compromise, but it was hopefully the start of more meaningful relationships with her family, and Dylan was more than pleased at that.

                “So it’s back to reality tomorrow?”
Matilda lifted her sunhat from over her eyes and looked up at Dylan stood in just his board shorts holding out an ice cold Mojito to her, his broad muscular body glowing and tanned.
She gave a groan, “you mean we can’t stay here forever?”
He grinned as she took the condensation covered glass and sipped the drink elegantly, “afraid that we have work to return to. And you young lady have a hotel to run.”
She sighed and closed her eyes for a moment; it was all still so surreal. She’d been away from London for almost four weeks, and it had been heaven. The last four days spent almost entirely with her family had topped off the amazing time away, and as she watched him lower to the lounger beside her, it was almost impossible to imagine that she’d arrived in Thailand alone, devastated, and desperate. Now she was radiant, happy, and SO well loved.
They were making the most of their last day together, and tonight, they were meeting Gareth his girlfriend Suni and her father, it was a festival in the area, and they were going to a huge gathering at a local market, fresh food, dancing...it promised to be a spectacular event.  And a timely good bye from them.
Since the animosity of their first meeting, the three men were getting along tremendously, and plans for Christmas had been tentatively discussed.
For Matilda it was the about turn she had never dreamed of when she’d sat on the plane in tears leaving London. She sipped her drink as her mobile phone in her bag beside her started to ring.
She looked at the display, Sarah. She hadn’t spoken to her friend and colleague since her first week away, though she’d emailed her when Dylan had turned up to say she was happy, that they were working things out.
                “I know I said I’d give you space, but it’s been ten days, and I am DESPERATE to know how you are, and if you’re going to be home for the wedding.”
Matilda sighed, “Sarah, it is SO good to hear your voice. We’re coming home tomorrow, and of COURSE I’m going to be at the wedding. We wouldn’t miss it for the world.”
She could hear Sarah exhale down the phone, “good. I’m SO looking forward to seeing you, Brandy has been amazing helping to keep things going, but I will have to email a couple of things for you to make decisions on. Sorry to disturb your paradise.”
                “You are a welcome distraction Sarah, I promise. Will you pass on my love to everyone? I can’t wait to see you all in a couple of days.”
                “Liar!”  Dylan whispered at her ear as she hung up. “If I promised you another month here you wouldn’t think twice about it.”
She stretched luxuriously then turned to him with a smile, “on the other hand...everywhere I go, you’ll follow me!”
He slumped back on the lounger and groaned, “Touché darling.”


London was dark and cold, and as they emerged from the terminal at Heathrow, Matilda realised how woefully under prepared she was. Fortunately Dylan had ordered a taxi and it was waiting to take them back to the London flat. Dylan had been determined that he didn’t thrust himself on her full time, but she knew there was no way she was sleeping alone that night. She needed him more than ever now that they were back in Britain.
Reality really was a bitch.

The apartment was freezing cold, and Dylan rushed inside to turn on the heating. Then turned back to her with a smile.
                “You look nervous.”
She nodded, “you were right, it’s kind of strange now that we’re back here.”
He came towards her and pulled her into his arms, “nothing has changed with us, ok?”
Matilda smiled at him, then said, “I don’t want you to leave...not tonight...” She didn’t add the “...not ever,” that threatened to spill from her lips. She wasn’t ready to beg him to stay with her, not yet.

Matilda stood outside the hotel and took several deep breaths.  It was over a month since she’d last walked out of the building, and that had been a time when she honestly believed she’d never come back. Stepping into the foyer, which was no different to the last time she’d been there, but seemed so different, so foreign, she looked around for a moment, then heard a squeal. Looking up she spotted Hermione rushing around the desk and hurtling towards her at breakneck speed. And she was absorbed in a huge hug.
Eventually the receptionist pulled back and held her at arm’s length.
                “You look amazing!” With an elaborate wink she added, “thoroughly loved up!”
Matilda rolled her eyes, “I needed a break that much is true. Is Sarah here?”
Hermione nodded, “she is. Glad to have you back boss.”
                “Thank you.” Matilda’s smile at Hermione was genuine, she’d missed everyone there.

Sarah was sat at her desk on the phone when Matilda tapped the door then walked into the office. The other woman looked up and her face lit up in pleasure. Finishing the call she literally leapt from her seat and rushed over to hug Matilda.
                “You look amazingly well.”
Matilda smiled, “I feel it. Thailand is an amazing place. You HAVE to go.”
Sarah reached for her desk and called the kitchen, “coffee and breakfast please Leo, my office.” Then she hung up and reached for Matilda’s hands, “I had an awful feeling you weren’t going to come back.”
Matilda lowered herself into the seat opposite her desk and sighed, “for a while I wasn’t.”
                “Dylan looked dreadful after you left.”
She nodded, “it’s been a hard six months.”
                “And now?”
She gave a dry laugh, “now, Dylan is stepping back from the hotel...he’s giving me free rein over everything.”
                “Wow. I thought you two were getting along...”
Matilda laughed again, “oh we are, but we need distance in some parts of our lives, and we’ve proved time and time again we can’t work together, after all I can’t deal with taking orders from him.”
                “And the rest of it?”
Matilda paused for a moment, how much did she want people to know? She wasn’t sure, but she did know that she couldn’t hide it, couldn’t deny him anymore. “We’re trying again...nothing’s easy, but I love him...more than ever.”
Sarah grinned with pleasure sat back in her chair, “you two are SO perfect for each other.”
                “Who is?”
The two women turned guiltily towards the voice and Matilda smiled to see Brandy stood there a smug look on her face, “Brandy!” She jumped up and hugged the woman, “I hear you’ve been instrumental in keeping this place going.”
Brandy blushed, “just doing my job. Now that you’re back I can head off back to my brood?”
Matilda smiled, “of course, though I’d love to buy you dinner, thank you.”
                “Oh! No need for that. But I do have some papers that I need signing...and can you tell your lover to answer his damn phone?”
Matilda blushed at that and the older woman gave a hearty chuckle, “I presume he’ll speak to you!”

The breakfast arrived and the two women alternated catching up on the runnings of the hotel, with gossip from each of their lives as they demolished the contents of the trays. There was still so much to catch up on, but Matilda knew she couldn’t stay holed up in the office all day.
                “Right, time to tour the residence! Want to come?”
Outside of the office they had to uphold a professional appearance, so with clipboards in hand, they moved around the hotel, Matilda greeting every member of staff gratefully and with a familiarity that she’d missed when she’d been away. And without exception, they were all more than pleased to see her. The bar managers were pleased to tell her how well things had been in her absence.
Even the Major, the golf captain was pleasant. She’d missed the place. She arranged meetings with all of the department leaders over the coming days, and was back in her office trying to tackle the hundreds of emails that had arrived since she’d been away when she heard a commotion in reception.
Jumping to her feet, she covered the distance in less than a minute. Then froze, stood in the reception, with the WHOLE of the staff laughing manically at him, was Dylan, complete with - at a brief count she made it nine red love heart balloons, two huge bouquets of flowers, and an inane grin.
 For a split second she wanted to run away, but all too quickly she knew that this was his way of bringing everything into the open, stopping gossip by telling everyone JUST how things were. With a smile she rushed towards him and into his heavily laden arms for a kiss that left everyone observing whooping at. Then pulling back he smiled at everyone, “champagne, on me, in the restaurant.”
Then he led her into the room ahead of the excited staff.

Holding her hand he waited whilst everyone took a glass, then smiled.
                “Thank you all for joining us. I just wanted to clarify a few things. Firstly, I am stepping back from my involvement in this hotel. Matilda here, she’s in full charge, I may stay here a bit, and of course...play gold, he winked at that, and a few chuckled. “But other than that, I will have nothing to do with this place. You all know I’ve compromised Matilda since I’ve been back here, challenging her decisions...all of which were right, I might add. She does a better job without me. And I’m looking forward to being challenged and compromised by her in other domains.”
That led to laughs, catcalls and a dig in the ribs from the woman herself.  And laughing he added, “I’m concentrating on other things, there’s nothing wrong with that!”

Then he looked down at her with a smile that warmed her to the soul. She’d wanted grand gestures, she’d wanted commitment from him, and he had delivered on innumerable fronts. She loved him, and now knew with confidence that he felt the same way, and for the first time in years, her life felt complete. 

2 comments:

  1. Really looking forward for the final chapter.

    Annie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Its great that theyre not hiding their relationship! :) Brilliant chapter :P

    Samaira T

    ReplyDelete