Wednesday 15 October 2014

You Got It Wrong - Part Eighteen

Chapter Eighteen

A/N Sorry for lack of picture...tired.com tonight. Thanks Peeps.


She followed Theo away from the wedding rooms; he obviously knew the place, because it took just a few moments to arrive at a small and secluded bar. It was late afternoon and the place was deserted. As he moved to the bar he lifted an eyebrow in question.
                “A bottle of beer.” Nina knew what he was asking, and as he ordered, she scanned the room for the best place to sit, the place where she could control what happened.
When he turned back to look for her drinks in hand, he laughed. The room was flanked with comfortable sofas, chairs and small intimate tables, but she’d chosen the smallest of those with two dining chairs, and was sat upright waiting.
                “Couldn’t find anywhere more comfortable?”
She shrugged, “you wanted to talk.”
He nodded, “I know I’ve apologised before but I have been grossly rude to you on several occasions.”
Nina leaned back in her chair, “you could say that. I have done nothing but good to your family...”
                “I was SO worried when Mansell went missing, you have no idea.”
She sipped her drink trying to keep herself calm, “he wanted to go away, it was a monumental occasion, seventy years since he was part of the greatest military move in history...and no one in your family would take him.”
                “There’s only me and my brother...”
                “And you are both TOO busy to worry about a man at the end of his life. Disgraceful.”
Nina watched as Theo ran his hands through his hair in frustration, “you have no idea what’s going in our lives.”
She grinned at his protest, “you are SO right, and on the flip side you have NO idea what’s going on in MY life. I took Mansell not because I wanted a free ride or that I’m after his money...” he had the good grace to look embarrassed at that.
                “He’s vulnerable, I was concerned.”
Nina sighed, “you immediately presume that I’m after your grandfather’s money, that says a lot about you. I think it’s YOU that’s concerned with getting your hands on your inheritance, not me!”
“It’s not like that Nina. I swear.”
She shook her head standing, “How sad is your life that you are THAT suspicious? That you can be that nasty to a stranger?”
As she made to move away he grabbed her wrist, mimicking the gesture that had led to them being in the bar alone, “you’re right. I am the one with the insecurities, I am the one with a sad life, and unfortunately the reference points in my life mean I have made crap decisions. And you are right they are my bads. But I want to explain...apologise properly.”
She shook her head, “I have no intention of sitting listening to your sob story. We all have crap in our lives, and some use that positively, and others wallow in poison...like you.”
                “Nina...”
               
Theo watched the conflict on her face as he stood in front of her begging for the chance to explain, everything she said was right, well he wasn’t interested in Mansell’s money, but other than that it was all true. She could see into him so clearly. And suddenly he needed her to know that he wasn’t shallow, he wasn’t bitter, he had learned...that was all.
                “I’ve had to take emergency custody of Melody.” That was baring his soul, and that made her stop in her tracks. “At the hospital...it was the day after finding my ex wife unconscious, she’s in hospital now, and I can finally keep Melody with me. But when you didn’t come back...”
                “You thought I’d taken her?”
He sighed, slumping into a seat, “I have no idea if you know Sadie, I have no idea what she plans to do when she recovers. She drinks, maybe drugs...I don’t know.”
Nina gave a knowing nod, “she’s a lovely little girl.”
That made him smile, “I love her more than I ever thought possible.” Then he stared up at her, he didn’t want her to feel pity for him, but she was smiling at him.
                “Finally. Mansell said you were a nice guy, that’s the first time I’ve seen a hint of that.”
She lowered herself opposite him and reached for the beer, “what happened yesterday?”
Theo didn’t want to expose himself that much, but he liked being in her company, liked that she smiled at him, genuinely for the first time. “She drinks. Sadie. And that puts my little girl at risk. It’s taken far too many close calls to get Melody away from her. Yesterday it came to a head.” He sighed, “...it really started when you took Mansell to France, just before. That’s why I couldn’t take him myself.”
                “Shit. I called you selfish...but you weren’t?”
He half laughed, “not sure about that. I AM pretty selfish, but when it comes to Melody she gets put above everyone.”
                “As any little girl should in their Daddy’s eyes.”
Theo noted the wistfulness in that statement, it seemed he wasn’t the only one with family issues; Nina had her own secrets too. “That’s true. You close to yours?”
She shrugged a noncommittal response, “he’s dead.” He muttered an apology, but she shrugged again, “was a long time ago. Just glad you’re little girl has you.”
He smiled at that, but hated that he still knew no more about her than he had back in France.
                “Who do you know here today?”
She sipped her drink watching him for a moment, knowing that he was scoping her out, deciding how much she told him. “I’m an acquaintance of the couple. Kind of business.”
That intrigued him, “you work with them?”
Shaking her head again she dramatically paused, “no, I did some work for them...” Seeing his puzzled eyes she gave a half smile, “I designed and created their wedding rings...that’s what I do.”
He could feel himself stare in wonder, “I thought you worked at the home.”
She shook her head, “I volunteer there, do some art classes, try to have some laughs with the residents...” He knew his jaw was a gape, and she smiled at that. “I like helping people out, that’s why I took Mansell. He needed something; I could give it to him.”
                “And you had to face my wrath for your thanks.”
Nina shrugged, “I can imagine that you were worried, especially with all that going on with your ex wife.”
Theo lifted an eyebrow, “that means you understand?”
Laughing Nina reached for her drink and drained the bottle, “understand? Maybe. Forgive? Not even close!”
Her walk away from him was a swagger in her step, then she turned around and opened the small clutch bag he hadn’t noticed in her hand and pulled out a business card.
                “If you ever need someone to take Melody out...when you’re visiting Mansell. Call me?” And then she was gone.
He looked down at the rather elegant embossed card in his hand,
                Anneau de Saule Jewellery,
                Nina Willoughby, Designer.
Thank you Nina Willoughby, he thought as he pocketed it, knowing he’d have great pleasure in calling on her again.


                “Where’ve you been?” Lilah hissed as Nina sidled up to her at the bar. “I’ve been like a sitting duck for every single man in here since you disappeared...and none of them were under fifty!”
Nina chuckled, “I can imagine you were more than capable at batting that attention off. Couldn’t have been any more amorous than the Veteran Tennis Team last Easter.”
Lilah chuckled at the memory of the fourteen septuagenarians who’d been staying in a nearby hotel for a summer tennis club tour match. One night all had walked into their local pub, and immediately where enamoured at the glamorous blonde at the bar. Nina hadn’t laughed so much in ages.
                “Ok,” Lilah agreed, “it hasn’t been THAT bad. Now where have you been?”
Nina intended to keep quiet, this wasn’t a subject she was happy discussing, not yet, even with her best friend, but the flush of heat she felt sweep up her neck to her cheeks gave away all her secrets.
Lilah’s eyes open wide, and it was at that moment that she glanced up to see Theo re enter the room, “you, Miss Willoughby owe me an explanation.”
                “It’s not what you think!”
Again she chuckled, “it rarely is.”


An hour later the bridal couple had danced to their first song and the party had really kicked in. A band played music, people danced, chatted. Nina was sat in the corner of the room, watching the evening unfold, Lilah was at the bar getting more drinks, when she felt a presence beside her. By the time she’d turned to look to her left, Theo had pulled up a chair and sat beside her.
                “Hi.”
She sighed but she wasn’t as frustrated as she usually was with him. “Hi.”
                “I hate weddings.”
She laughed, “don’t most divorced people?”
That made him sit up literally, “ooh, she still bites.” He was rewarded with a smile, and grinned himself.
                “You know why I’m here. What about you?”
He leaned back in his chair, “Colin’s father and Mansell are cousins. So me and my brother,” he gestured to a tall blonde man who at that exact moment was talking to Lilah of all people. “So we’re here to represent him really.”
Nina nodded, “so that’s Daniel. He’s very charming.”
                “And I’m not?” She turned to him, “if the cap fits wear it!”
That made him laugh out loud, “remind me never to come around to you when I need a compliment.”
                “Shit!”
He looked up as she swore under her breath in time to see Daniel leading Lilah on to the dance floor. He opened his mouth to speak but Nina dived in first. “No. Before you ask I won’t dance. But I will have a beer; it seems my best friend has been distracted by your brother.”

Nina watched him walk away and sighed, he had really got to her that day. Whether it was knowing about the trauma of his ex wife and daughter, or the humility that seemed out of character in him, something was tugging at her heartstrings, and whilst she’d denied that she was ever going to forgive him, she was starting to wonder why she was keeping the animosity going, and that was dangerous.
                “Here.”
She glanced towards the voice to see Theo stood there holding a bottle of beer towards her.
                “Like that you aren’t on vino like everyone else.”
Nina laughed at that, “I seem to spend my life nonconforming...quite unintentionally.”
Grinning he replied, “I like that in a person, I spent my early life being what I thought everyone wanted me to be. I find your outlook refreshing.”
Contemplating that thought, she took another drink of her beer, “Daniel is a politician?” She suddenly realised she recognised Theo’s brother from TV, newspapers. Her own father had been a government minister, and she found the whole world of politics both tedious and annoying. But Daniel was no hardship on the eye and she suddenly wondered if he might rekindle some interest.
                “You ask that with a wistful look on your face. Are you fancying him?”
Nina “pffted” at that, “no. I suddenly recognised the man dancing with my best friend.”
                “And what about the man wanting to dance with you?”


Theo didn’t know where that came from, he’d been determined to keep his distance, she was a complication he didn’t need, plus she was too close to everything going on in his life, but as she digested his question, her lips pursed as she thought of a witty riposte, he took her drink, laid it on the table then dragged her onto the dance floor before she could complain, resist or even fight.

But as he pulled her into his arms, hands on her hips, hers awkwardly landing on his shoulders, he suddenly regretted his impulsiveness. Her body was warm in his, her curves brushing against him, and from the calmness of sitting at the table, he was now fighting his reaction to her proximity on several levels. He was in trouble.

2 comments:

  1. Ooooo, wonder what will happen next. Really want to see nina bonding with melody.
    Annie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Really enjoyed this chapter, its so cute.
    Things are definitely heating up between Theo and Nina, and maybe even between Daniel and Lilah. Wonder how they're going to deal with their feelings. :D
    Thank you for the great chapter!

    Samaira T

    ReplyDelete