Wednesday 8 February 2012

What about you? - 23


Chapter 23



Kate spent the morning preparing lunch. There were leftovers aplenty, plus she peeled more potatoes to fry and found all the jars of picked everything to create their typical buffet. Margaret and Clarissa arrived back by lunchtime both beaming from the morning out in the fresh air.

                “Has everything been ok?” Clarissa was busy unpeeling her layers in the utility room adjacent to the kitchen.

Kate was pouring coffee for the two chilled women, “yes fine. But you’ll never believe it, Peter has got that robot arm working, he called me earlier. He’s not taken his eyes off it, it’ll be taking over the world by the time he finishes with it!”

Clarissa peered around the door and stared at Kate, “really?”

Kate smiled, “oh yes! I think they’ll be really pleased in Beaufort.”

Sighing Clarissa walked across the kitchen and hugged Kate, “brilliant! All I want is him to have some independence, maybe this will be the turning point?”

Kate nodded, she hoped so too. It was so sad to see Peter not changing, not looking like improving in any way. His independence would go a long way to making things easier for her to step back. So she wanted to encourage that as much as she could.

                “Ooh! What a lovely spread! You’ve been working hard Kate!”

Margaret laid a hand on her shoulder, “you can come and live with me any day!”

As Kate laughed, she became aware of Mason stood in the doorway, she knew he was there before she looked up and saw his face. She anticipated animosity, but instead he looked rather po-faced, if not a tad guilty. Offering him her best smile, she found another mug and poured him a coffee too.

The two women finally headed upstairs to change out of their ‘walking’ clothes, leaving Kate fully in Mason’s intense gaze.

                “Will you accept an apology?”

She turned, propping herself against the counter and meeting his gaze, “depends on what you’re apologising for?”

He groaned, “You’re going to make things hard on me aren’t you?”

She laughed, “If I do, it’s only what you deserve. But honestly, I’d like to think you know why I’m upset, not just that I need an anonymous apology.”

                “I understand that you have responsibility for Peter, that in some bizarre way you’re close to him...”

                “And?” her eyes pierced him with a knowing look.

                “Ok!” he groaned, “I’m selfish, I wanted you to myself, I don’t like sharing. But I get it, if you’re involved with me I have to get used to sharing you. I understand, it doesn’t mean I like it, and it also doesn’t mean that you can hold me to ransom over it.”

It was what Kate needed to here, and she was glad. Part of her instinct was to use Peter to her advantage, someone, something to hide behind, but he was wise to that.

                “Ok. And thank you!”

He came towards her, “does that mean you forgive me?” 

Just as she started to nod her head, she heard the voices of the approaching women, and the two rushed apart, casually returning to sorting out lunch, Mason to loading the dishwasher.


Lunch was a pleasurable meal. Peter managed to be dragged from his machines to sit at the table, and he spent the whole time babbling enthusiastically to Kate his plans and excitements. They may as well be alone for the amount of interaction he gave, and allowed her to have with the other three. But Kate was happy with the odd smile from Mason, and a little episode of footsie whilst they were having dessert.


                “Why don’t you youngsters head out for a while? You can go to the pub or something? There’s a band playing there tonight?”

Kate looked at Clarissa and saw honest enthusiasm in her eyes. She was honestly so enthralled with the fact that Peter had made such progress in his own way, that she was keen for everyone to have some happiness, and she seemed to be realising more and more that for Kate, that wasn’t spending every moment with Peter.

Mason glanced at Kate and smiled, “a band could be good. What do you say Kate?”

Kate nodded, “that sounds like a great idea. If you’re sure Clarissa!”


It was just starting to get dark when they both left, wrapped up against the cold. Mason had debated with Kate whether a trip to the cinema or maybe into town for a meal would be a better plan, but it was Boxing Day, and Kate and reminded him that a lot of places were cold, anyway she felt like a chilled evening and the band would absorb any lapses in conversation. After all there was no denying that her and Mason were sexually compatible, but there was more to life, she wasn’t sure they had a great deal in common, so prolonged conversations might have dried up and become awkward.

She needn’t have worried. On the way to the pub, the ten minute walk was a heated debate over the funniest film ever made. Kate insisted it was Step Brothers or Anchorman, but Mason was a real traditionalist and thought that The Life of Brian was the best thing ever recorded onto film. They debated the fine points until they reached the well lit friendly building and agreed on a truce at the doorstep, they both promised to meet and watch a choice each one evening and vote then.

The bar was busy, but not packed, and Kate found a table in a fairly quiet alcove whilst Mason ordered them both a pint.   It was easy to switch off to the humdrum of the bar as they sat together and talked. Mason told her all about his home in Dubai, and about his work in as much detail as she could understand.

                “I thought you were being dragged back a few weeks ago?” Kate asked after he’d explained that he and his business partner Brandon had built up a huge and lucrative company from very little.

He nodded, “we were undercut on a huge deal. It seemed a rival company was tipped off. We’re not in a position where we can cope with out investors getting flighty. At the end of the day, we don’t have the finances behind us to dig ourselves out of that deep a hole. So I had to go to Paris, Brandon had traced the leak. It was damage limitation. We just need to keep our heads down until the confidence is back in the name. And it will be. I’d not be going back to Dubai after Christmas if it wasn’t for Brandon. His wife had a baby boy, hence him not making it to his sister’s wedding...” he reached out and scooped up her hand then kissed finger tips, “and what a twist of fate that was!”

He sipped at his drink as Kate blushed, he loved that she did that. “He’s had no real time home with his family, so I have to return.”

Kate nodded not showing how difficult that already sounded, “for how long?”

Mason shrugged, “I’m not sure. I know that I won’t be able to come back here for a while. I find that a difficult thought!”

Sighing she sipped her drink, before finally mustering, “things are never easy though are they?”

                “Good things are. They’re worth it. When are you expected back in work?”

Again she was contemplative, “I don’t get much holiday time. I was planning to leave here tomorrow and go back to my mother’s for a day, I work the day after.”

                “Will you come away with me? Somewhere? Anywhere? Just the two of us? We need to talk, to make plans. I can’t do that whilst I’m creeping around on eggshells.”

Could she do that? She’d not told her mother she’d be back that quick, that was merely a guilt move. Could they go somewhere together?

                “What are you thinking?” he took both her hands, stared into her eyes, “tell me yes, please. We both deserve this.”

When she nodded in agreement he jumped in the air and whooped for joy.

The band were good, playing lots of songs from old to new, it passed the evening, and when they finally left the bar, it was late. The trip home was punctuated with promising kisses on every street corner. And even when it started to rain, it didn’t spoil their mood. In fact, Kate loved kissing him with rivulets of rain pouring down her face. But when they got back to the house, they had to strip off several soaking layers before they were dry enough to make it in to the lounge.

No one seemed to be up, so Mason grabbed her hand and pulled her upstairs to her bedroom. As he pushed the door open, she tripped into the room and giggled clinging on to him to stop herself falling to the floor.

                “Too much beer madam?” he asked pulling her close and kissing her again.

She laughed as he kissed her and they both toppled onto the bed. Neither was sober enough to realise that they were making quite a racket, and it wasn’t until the bedroom door flew open and a really angry Clarissa stood there, that they realised quite how loud they’d been.

                “Kate!” the shock, the distress in Clarissa’s voice dragged Kate away from Mason, and she looked up more than a little embarrassed.

                “Clarissa! It’s not what you think!”

Mason lifted a hand and covered her mouth, “no I think Aunt Clarissa this is exactly what you think!” It was time to stop hiding, this wasn’t an ideal time or situation, but Mason wasn’t ready to start hiding behind lies.

                “I should’ve known Mason. Leopards don’t change their spots!” her voice was quiet yet cutting in its nature. “How dare you do this to Peter?!”

Mason shook his head, “let’s not rake up the past, and please don’t play this Peter card. From what I can see Kate has given you and him the best of her twenties, and had precisely NOTHING back from anyone. She should be having fun, not caring for an overgrown child. I don’t know why she feels such a strong sense of duty towards you both; I only presume that’s her giving nature.”

                “Mason, you know nothing about this. You waltz back in after all these years and think you understand mechanics of this family? You know nothing about it. Your heartbroken mother is proof of that. You have never been anything other than selfish and trouble.”

Kate was amazed that this tirade was directed at Mason, she fully anticipated being the bad person in this situation. Not that either of them really deserved this.

                “Clarissa...” she tried to diffuse the situation, but the older woman turned to look at her.

                “Don’t think that you are fit to even comment here. Poor Peter. He’d be devastated if he saw this!”

Kate shook her head, for the first time seeing things in very clear black and white, “would he? He doesn’t really do much beyond tantrum, and it probably wouldn’t be any more of a performance than if he didn’t have the right reading book at night. Mason’s right about several things, I have given the last six years to him, I’ve let down friends and family, SO many times, always putting Peter first. This is the fifth Christmas that I’ve spent with you guys, and whilst I don’t hate it, I want to be with my family. I want trips overseas, time with my friends, weekends with nothing more to do than stay in bed or shop! I haven’t had any of that for years!”

Clarissa was stunned, standing open mouthed, and it was an age before she responded, “I didn’t realise we were such an obligation!”

Kate shook her head, “that’s just it. I chose to do what I did, for my own reasons, but now I realise I have to move on in some ways.”

Suddenly Clarissa looked worried and Kate knew she was thinking that she couldn’t keep Peter where he was without her financial help.

                “I’ll still help you with Brentfort. But I am withdrawing my time.”

Clarissa nodded; she had no real comeback to that request. Turning to Mason she shook her head, “I think you should leave, it’s for the best.”

He shrugged, “and that’s what my mother wants? Is it?”

Clarissa blushed, “it’s not her house.”

When the door shut Kate felt the tears well. She’d finally done it, and the relief was amazing.

3 comments:

  1. I hate Clarissa,she is selfish and is only concerned about herself..she is using Kate for her money..seriously I just dislike mother and son..

    Woww Kate you actually stood up!Good for you

    Lets see what happens next,and whether if she'll go to the end of the world for and with Mason?..like Amelia did


    Annie

    ReplyDelete
  2. I honestly despise Clarissa, Doesnt she expect Kate to have a life too? I'm Sooo glad Kate Stood up and told Clarissa the truth. Hope the future goes well for her.
    Post Soon
    Samaira T

    ReplyDelete
  3. what just happened??? did she ask mason to leave or what?? what just happen?? i understand she told clarissa off but what happen with mason. is she with him? what next?? im kinda lost
    nessa

    ReplyDelete