Sunday 1 April 2012

Learning to Fly - 15

Chapter 15


The next morning Carly woke with pain in every limb of her body. She could barely pull herself up into sitting. But she'd loved the skiing. Once she'd managed to stagger back to the hotel, Jens begged and begged her to join her for a few beers, but she'd declined. She knew that once she'd showered and sat down she wasn't getting up again in a while. She last remembered the clock reading 21:11.

As she was pulling on her uniform with great difficulty her phone rang. Locating it in her pocket, she was surprised to see Camilla's name flashing up. She was surprised, her roommate was due back for an afternoon shift today. 

"Hey Cam. You ok?"

There was a pause before she answered, "Carly, I'm in hospital...in Paris. I fell yesterday and broke my wrist. I'm having surgery this afternoon."

"Oh my God! How are you feeling?"

Camilla gave a sigh, "morphine is a FABULOUS thing! But I'm a bit gutted, all my friends have gone home, they're all working...my mother can't come."

Carly could hear the gulp of emotion, and offered, "because of your Dad?"

Camilla gave a little sob, "I thought being away from home over the holidays would make them miss me..."

"Oh Cam! They do miss you, I know. Your Dad is just stubborn like you, he doesn't want to give in, just like you don't! That's all. Hang on in there, when you get back I'll spoil you and nurse you, ok?" Carly felt so helpless. "If I could come to you I would, you know that?"

Cam sniffed, trying to control her tears, "you're the best Carly, really."

"Are you coming back? You're not giving up?"

She laughed, "I called the management and fortunately they'll let me come back to work with my arm in plaster, if they'd spouted health and safety rules at me and said no, I'd be back to London on the next flight. As it is,  I can just about manage until then."

Carly groaned, "poor you, did you have a good Christmas?"

This was obviously the right question to ask, as Camilla suddenly forgot her woes and waxed lyrical for a while about luxurious meals, gifts and parties with friends. The call ended briefly after that without the reciprocal question coming, but whereas Carly would've thought that an arrogant self-centred gesture, now that she knew Camilla who despite her previous reservations was a generous and loyal friend to have, she ignored it. Poor Cam had enough to worry about with imminent surgery and being alone in a strange place.

With a groan of exercise induced muscle pain, Carly finished dressing and left her room. Reaching the steps she hesitated. Her legs felt like lead, so she turned and took the elevator to the ground floor, then the last flight of stairs were torture as she reached the basement. 

The staff canteen was quiet, so Carly grabbed some fruit and a coffee and disappeared into a far corner to read her kindle. She'd started a new book over the previous weekend but had been so busy she'd had to abandon it. There was nothing nicer than leaving behind your own chaotic life and becoming absorbed in someone else's!

She was so absorbed that she barely acknowledged people coming in and out, but the sudden appearance of a body in her peripheral vision made her glance up. Stood there smiling was Jens. 

"How are you feeling?"

Carly tentatively stretched her legs, "sore, very sore and like I've been put through a washing machine on a spin cycle. Other than that, fine!"

He laughed, a loud sound that caused several other diners to turn and stare at them, just what she didn't want, to be seen cavorting with the boss! Dropping her eyes to her breakfast she was suddenly coy. Jens sensed the change and pulled out the chair opposite. 

"So, will you come out for those drinks tonight? The ones you chickened out of last night? And maybe a bite to eat?"

Her eyes flicked up to his anger flashing across them briefly, "chicken? I could barely walk!" 

His laugh of response did little to ease her anxiety, "so? Chicken about tonight?"

Carly groaned, "Jens you're a fun guy, but the last thing I really need is for people to see you sending time with me, I just want to fit in!"

"And drinking with the boss doesn't allow that?"

She shook her head, "no. It makes me different. Sorry."

He studied her for a few moments, a bemused expression on his face, "you're really turning down a few drinks because I'm the manager here?" When she nodded, he laughed again, "what about if I drive us somewhere else. Somewhere no one will see us?"

Carly was still apprehensive but nodded, "I suppose that could work..."

Jens grinned, "you get off at five?" When she nodded he smiled again, "I'll pick you up at seven, do you know the garage entrance? If you meet me there no one will see you get in my car. Complete discretion assured!"

There was a large amount of sarcasm in his comment, but the accompanying smile was warm and friendly. With a big exaggerated wink that only she could see, he mouthed "seven - see you then."

Rochelle was back from her Christmas with her family, and so the first hour of the day was spent catching up on their holiday activities, and when Marta arrived to work, it started all over again. 

"So you were skiing with Jens?" Rochelle asked Carly once they'd settled the children to their tasks for the morning.  "How did that come about?"

Carly was washing dozens of paint clogged brushes at the sink and she continued the task for a few moments until she'd formulated the right answer. turning she was surprised to see Rochelle still poised waiting for an answer.

"Christmas Eve he was at the staff party, he couldn't believe I'd never tried...so i let him give me a lesson."

"I thought you were dead set against skiing...and him!"

Carly laughed, "no one told me it was such good fun! Saying that I almost died it was such hard work..." She purposely ignored the reference to Jens, she wasn't happy discussing him with anyone yet, especially after her disgraceful behaviour with Lucas. Even thinking about that made her feel nauseous. 

"So you're a committed skier now?"

Carly laughed and patted Rochelle on the shoulder, "getting to work today was almost impossible. I can't see me working and skiing...and no one's going to pay me to almost break my neck on the slopes...so you're stuck with me!"

Rochelle shook her head as she laughed, "you are one crazy lady!"

As usual the day passed in a blur of paint, glue and dressing up. And all too soon it was the end of the day. After helping to clear up as best she could before she left the others in the lurch, she was all too soon sitting on her bed and propping up her swollen ankle. She had two hours before she was due to meet Jens. He'd promised food, as well as a few drinks, so she was in no rush to eat now. 

Reclined on the bed, she opened her laptop, checked out her facebook, other than the odd message from a school friend there was no real news. The BBC website helped her catch up with the winter news from home, and then she opened her email.

Deleting the junk mail, she read a Merry Christmas email from her godmother, then opened another with a gasp, the name of the sender being Paul Carter. Instantly she realised that the message was meant to be from Millie.

"Hi Carly, I just wanted to know that we've had a great Christmas. I had a pony...can you believe that? A real live pony! It's called Butterscotch and is staying at my Gramma's house away from the City. Papa's really happy that I'm happy and he says it's all due to you! We're coming back to Austria next month, I can't wait to see you again! Will you write to me? Papa said you'll be too busy, so I don't mind. Can't wait to see you, all my love Millie, xxx"

Carly smiled it was such a sweet note, and she did like that little girl. She was pleased that she'd helped improve her quality of life, and she'd feel good over that for a long time. Taking a moment she composed a quick reply, that she was glad the Carter's had had a great Christmas, that she'd worked for all of hers. She was of course delighted to send emails to her, and was looking forward to seeing her when they returned to the resort.  

By the time she finally pulled on her supportive snow boots, it was seven o'clock on the nose, so she had to rush. As she moved as quickly as her injured leg would allow her through reception, she felt eyes on her. But she couldn't face Lucas, not now. There was time for him  to come, and she knew she still had to apologise for slapping him. 

Descending the stairs was awkward with her painful ankle, so she hobbled a kind of side step down to the snow-cleared path. As she moved along the front of the hotel, she heard an engine rev, and then a sleek new black Mercedes pulled level with her. Carly couldn't see through the tinted windows, but she knew before the passenger side window lowered that it was Jens. 

This was a rich boys toy...and Jens was the typical rich boy!

4 comments:

  1. I don't know if she's making the right choice... News does seem to travel fast now.
    I would soooo love to read about Millie again !!!!

    Annie

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really am not sure about Jens. She seriously needs to keep her guard up. Great chapter though. Ouch... she must be in a lot of pain. Especially that sore ankle. Loving this story Really enjoying its slow pace. Hoping to read a bit more romance? :D

    Post Soon
    Samaira T

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nah, still don't like him. And what's with drinking two nights in a row? Seriously? The girl's obviously in pain and he's near oblivious. Not cool.

    Loved Millie's email, so adorable! Almost forgot about her for a while but I just love the idea of Carly helping her out.

    Keep up the great work!

    xx alisonwonderland

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Maro.. How r you.. again sorry for commenting so late.. LOVELY STORY!!
    But am little confused, whom Carly will choose.. Jens, Lucas or Millie's dad.. personally I like Millie's dad, he is rice, handsome, very good by heart and a loving caring dad.. and if carly entres their life.. they could make a complete family.. cant wait..post soon......

    Madhumita

    ReplyDelete