Saturday 7 April 2012

Learning to Fly - 16


Chapter 16 - The Date...


The car smelt wonderful, the combination of newness and leather overwhelming her senses as she slid into the plush passenger seat. Glancing at Jens she smiled nervously, he looked attractive in an open-necked pale blue shirt under his thick snow jacket.

"So I thought we'd go to this little restaurant I know, it's in another resort. So hopefully no one will know us. Does that suit?"

The car was warm and she was feeling more and more relaxed as they sped off into the distance. It was dark, and once they left the boundaries of the town, the blackness was only cut through by the car headlights. Carly realised she was humming along with the stereo, Coldplay. Jens fingers started to drum on the steering wheel, Carly's eyes darted over and watched for a second, then when her eyes lifted to his, he was watching amusement etched on his face. 

"Shall I start singing?" He waggled his eyebrows before returning his eyes to the road. Carly chuckled and he added. "There are so many Alpine villages up here, have you had much chance to look around?"

"Not as much as I'd like. I'm not making the most of my days off..."

Jens slowed at a tight bend and manoeuvred the road, then opened the throttle once again, then finally replied, "that's the downside, with beauty comes isolation. If you do take some holiday and aren't going home, then I recommend Salzburg, it's beautiful. Vienna is too...but it's so much further." he glanced across again, "I've can point you in the direction of great hotels...mates rates and all that!"

"Well so far my knowledge of Austria, other than the hotel and the rest of the resort and town, comes from the guidebook my parents bought me to come over here! So I'm aware of every obscurity in the whole country, my list of places I want to visit is huge!"

"So you are enthusiastic for everything you do in life?" When she looked at him questioningly, he added, "well you've revolutionised the creche according to Rochelle and Danica, you throw yourself into skiing...you have great travel plans...do you do everything so enthusiastically?"

She tried not to register any hurt by that comment, and took a deep breath before raising her chin in defiance, "life is for living, and for a long time I've had my wings clipped, so forgive me if I'm making the most of every opportunity I get!"

Carly instantly regretted losing her cool, she could tell that instantly Jens was more interested in her past, and there wasn't anything to know, or rather nothing that she wanted him to know. 

He must've spotted her mood as he changed the subject and discussed skiing in more detail. She was keen to try again...but not until her aching limbs had eased.

All too soon he was driving through street lights, civilisation again.

"So what is this place?"

He smiled as he hit the indicator and pulled into a side street. "This is a small town, well a village really, but it has the best restaurant for miles. So I managed to book us a table. You'll love it, I know it!"

Jens led her into an underground cavern, he explained it had once been a wine cellar, now it was a hotel with an almost legendary basement restaurant. It was dark and small candle lit booths flanked the sides of the room, and at the far end was a small stage and she took a gulp, a dance floor. This seemed like the perfect place for a romantic seduction...she had to find her resolve and determination, it seemed like it was going to be a long night. 

The food was delicious, she'd not been overly enamoured by the hotel food, but the steak here was cooked to perfection and she had to stop herself from wolfing it down like a starving animal. Despite her restraint, her appreciation of the food was still an amusement to Jens. 

"Carly, I haven't seen a woman eat so passionately since I was in school! We had a very enthusiastic teacher who LOVED pasta!"

Carly curbed her slight embarrassment and shrugged, "I like good food. And this steak is..." she smacked her lips enthusiastically as she finished, "delicious!"

He nodded, "the staff canteen isn't the greatest."

She shrugged as she finished chewing her steak, "the food's not bad, it's just fairly repetitive, but then it's a staff canteen, not a Michelin starred restaurant!"

He was contemplative for a moment as he watched her eat with relish, then sipped at the single glass of wine he'd allowed himself, "maybe staff shouldn't be so undervalued?" 

Chuckling she reached for her own wine, "are you about to start gourmet cuisine for us minions? That wouldn't be the most productive or profit led decision you've ever made!"

Jens was such an enigma, she really had no idea what he was thinking, and she got the distinct feeling that he was laughing at her. Despite that he was as attentive as ever, paying close attention to every thing she said.

"Happy staff makes for an award winning luxury resort Carly, speculate to accumulate!"

Carly finished her wine, as Jens cleared his plate, still in the same contemplative mood. They'd ordered dessert, again something that Jens had marvelled at, and they both tucked into tiramisu for her, and some form of cheesecake for him. 

"Dance?" he asked whilst they were waiting for coffee. Carly felt her heart start to pound. This was such an intimate place, dark, seductive. She could barely make out the other side of the room, but she could see a few other couples dancing, soft soft bluesy music was being played by a three piece band that she'd not noticed arrive during their meal. The whole place was like something out of a film, some speakeasy from the prohibition era, or an underground jazz club in LA. 

Before she could voice her reluctance, he stood, holding out a hand for hers. His smile of encouragement was toe-curling and she slipped her hand into his without processing exactly what she was doing.

And that was stepping, or rather running head first, into the lion's den. His arms held he against him, their bodies touching from shoulder to knee, Jens' voice kept up a constant dialogue into her ear, about the day he'd had, comments about other dancers, loosely veiled compliments about her hair, shoes, even her dancing smile, and all the time his exotic scent washed over her senses.

When three songs had finished, Jens finally gave in to her pleas to rest. If it wasn't her recovering tender ankle, it was her still aching post ski limbs that wanted desperately to be rested, that was without mentioning her heart and stomach that seemed to be riding a big dipper on their own. 

Easing herself into her seat, Carly groaned with relief, so glad to rest her body. it was only then that Jens spotted her obvious discomfort. 

"Are you in pain?"  

She shrugged, "I'm just about over my skiing trip..."

He chuckled, "I'd have presumed that this was less taxing than a day with the little people! Sorry to torture you!"

As he said it Carly knew there was double meaning, that he was aware of her confused state. She was infuriated, adding that to her list of troubling emotions.

"The 'little people' are harder work than you office monkeys seem to realise, and it's the this on top of my working day that's making me so tired. I did just want to curl up and go to sleep tonight."

"So I'm lucky to have your company?" 

Carly couldn't decipher the real nature of his comment, but she was feeling snippy, "yes you bloody are! Just because I'm not rich, or as glamorous as some of the other girls, does not make me some sort of desperado. You are just like the rest aren't you?"

Jens laughed, "you really don't like me do you?"

Carly sighed, "i know people like you Jens, and I'm from a different World. But it doesn't make me less valuable than you. And I refuse to be bullied or pushed around. That's all!"

Jens looked at her with wide eyes, he wasn't used to anyone being that honest, and if he was truthful, no one had ever spoken derogatorily about him before. He lived in a World where everyone wanted to be close to him, it benefited people to be in 'his good books', no one dared to offend or upset the boss, especially when he was the owners son and heir. And from someone else he'd take the comments as offensive, but there was something naive about Carly, she had a bluntness and openness that she seemed to have no control over, and he liked that. He'd always know where he stood, he'd never be second guessing her motives or actions. There was some sort of safety with Carly, no scheming, cheating or lying. 

"I don't want to push anyone around," he offered. "The last thing I want to do is try and change you. I told you before, you're refreshing and I like that, I like that you're different."  He reached across the table and took her hand before she had a chance to snatch it away, "I like you!"

It was a hugely loaded comment and Carly was determined not to be flattered, the last thing she wanted was to swoon into his arms over a couple of well timed comments. "Hmm. Well I also think you've learnt exactly what to say to get what you want Jens König, and I'm not falling for your bullshit!"
When Jens laughed this time it was a real hearty belly laugh, his head dropped forward and his body shook with mirth. When he looked up at her there were humorous tears rolling down his cheeks, "If ever I had an overinflated ego, then you're the tonic to bring me back down to earth with a crash!"

Carly blushed suddenly realising how forthright and rude she'd been. This seemed to be a habit since she'd arrived here. Self preservation seemed to come at the cost of being rude or disrespectful to others. Groaning she offered a wry smile, "sorry. Sometimes I seem to get on my high horse and don't get down regardless of what I say. My mother would be mortified if she saw how my manners had slipped...again."

"I think the apology redeems yourself somewhat. Your mother has nothing to be upset about. I promise!"

It was quiet between them both as they left the restaurant and made for the car. It had started to snow again, and Carly was glad of the overtly confident Jens as the roads were now white. He manoeuvred them expertly and definitely safely, and so she was able to relax back against the leather upholstery and breathe easily.

4 comments:

  1. awww..i kneew he was a gentleman. he likes her. they are ment to be. she changing him. his about to become a better person. im glad, lets hope they stay together!!
    nessa

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha Carly gets infuriated really easily,and Jens well he's still a mystery.......

    Annie

    ReplyDelete
  3. So Jen really does like her??? I'm confused. His previous actions make him seem like a womaniser but now at this moment he seems like he really does in fact like Carly. Glad you posted... I was wondering where you had dissapeared. :D Keep posting.... I'm not afraid to admit I am GREEDY!! :D

    Post Soon
    Samaira T

    ReplyDelete
  4. http://www.wattpad.com/
    This is another website you should try. Post your story there. Just check it out and see if you like it
    Thanks,
    Nessa

    ReplyDelete