Saturday 21 April 2012

Learning to Fly - 20

Chapter 20 - Facing up to reality



Carly snuck out of Jens' bedroom at six, it gave her enough time to rush home to get changed and eat breakfast before her eight am start. There was still a confrontation with Camilla. Jens had been evasive on the issue of her all night, he admitted that he had slept with her, but he gave no more detail than he promised Camilla nothing. The question as to what he promised  Carly was never addressed, but when she was quietly contemplating just that the night before, Jens had tugged her back under the duvet assuring her she was different to all the others. 

"Why?" she asked pulling her lips from his.

"Why what?" his hands ran over her naked spine as he looked at her questioningly.

She sighed, "you say I'm different. But I don't get it. Camilla is beautiful, rich..."

He silenced her with a finger over her lips, "you are funny," he nipped at her shoulder, punctuating each word with a little bite, "witty...angry...you make me think...you're passionate." He raised an eyebrow, "do I need to go on?"

She didn't feel any of those things, but she liked the attention he lavished on her. Carly's only fear was what might happen when this ended. He was her employer after all. 

Her dress finally on, she was trying to pull on her shoes in the hallway when he emerged from the bedroom in just a pair of boxer shorts, his thick dark hair ruffled into a bed head style the catwalks of Milan would love. 

Stretching, he looked at her out of one sleepy eye, "where you going?"

"I was sneaking out!" She laughed. "I need to get changed, breakfast..."

He reached out and pulled her towards him, wrapping his arms around her, "for a start my bathroom is bigger and more private than the staff quarters, secondly I have a new delivery of uniform in the garage, I can find you some work clothes."

She smiled and kissed him on the lips, settling her hands on his broad chest, "I'll take the shower, but unless you run to ladies underwear, I'll need to go back."

Raising an eyebrow he looked down at her, "sorry, I can't manage that, but I'm liking the thought of that shower." As he spoke he was unzipping the dress that she'd only just fastened.

When she emerged from the shower a little while after she'd forced him out, Carly found Jens making breakfast. The chalet he lived in was perfect, a modern kitchen, huge bathroom and two large bedrooms. She'd loved to have lived there with the small veranda overlooking the slopes complete with hot tub.  

At that moment a delicious smell was emanating from the kitchen and she'd dashed in hungrily to find Jens with only a towel around his waist scrambling eggs. Moving behind him she slipped her arms around his waist and linked them, "I could get used to this Herr König! Are you trying to tempt me?"

Laying down the spatula, he turned in her embrace, "not at all Fraulein, if anything YOU were trying to tempt me! I know that show in the bathroom was deliberate!"

She blushed. She'd been in the shower for a few minutes before she realised that Jens had walked into the bathroom, suddenly simply washing herself seemed like an erotic show. He'd joined her within seconds of her spotting him, and it was an intimacy she wasn't really prepared for.  It had been a relief when he'd entered the cubicle a exposed as her, but it was more than she was used to, and as she recalled it now, the memory was still a little raw, difficult to deal with, though definitely not unpleasant.

Warm lips brushed hers as she internally debated the issue, and soon the sexy, dare she say romantic Jens took over. He was so encompassing, he overtook everything, with his enthusiasm and his ability to do whatever he wanted.

When she reciprocated, opening her mouth to accept his tongue, he melted against her, and it was only the smell of burning toast that caused them to both separate, and then remember that they were on deadlines for work. 

"You'll make me late for work you hussy!" Jens grinned pulling her into his arms for a final brief kiss, before rescuing the breakfast.

After eating the beautiful breakfast he'd prepared, compared to the canteen meals anything home made was a treat, plus there was fresh juice and coffee - she felt so spoilt, Carly had to leave.

At the door he kissed her once more, "I've got to go to Salzburg tonight, meet a new supplier. I won't be back until late...if things are awkward, let yourself in and I'll see you when I get back." He saw the doubt in her mind, and added quickly, "I'm not trying to be territorial, I'm just thinking things may be difficult, and I'm not objecting to being that port in the storm!"

Carly raised an eyebrow, "You make it sound like you're such a martyr!"

He giggled, "oh yes! It's such an inconvenience sharing a bed with you Miss!" 
Blowing him a kiss she scampered across the snow, not wanting anyone to witness her morning-after 'walk of shame'!

Camilla was layering on her makeup in the small mirror in their bedroom when Carly opened the bedroom door. The look that Camilla passed to her was pure evil. Carly shook her head, then swiftly changed into clean underwear and her uniform. As she was about to leave the room, she turned to Camilla.

"I can't believe that we're arguing over this Cam. I thought we were better friends than that. I had no idea..."

Camilla's interest in the conversation was over, and when she turned back to the mirror with a 'huff', Carly knew she wouldn't get any further.

"Sorry that it's going to be like this!"

With that Carly left the room.


After a busy morning, Carly went to the canteen for lunch on her allocated late lunch. It was deserted. Several times a day the place was rammed but at two pm like this most staff had fed and were back to duty. 

So she selected some cold fish, fresh salad and a large glass of orange juice. With the pick of the seats, she took a corner pew, away from anyone who might join her, then had time to her own thoughts. Not a great place at the moment. She had a lot of guilt. To Lucas. She'd misjudged him, presumed that he was the wrong-doer in all this. But really all she'd done was catch him in flagrante with Camilla. The rest, the possible pregnancy, Camilla's fear of telling the father...none of it was him. The fact that it was Jens, he was the perpetrator in all this. And she didn't feel the same level of animosity. 

Then there was Camilla herself. Carly hated bad feeling, well between friends anyway. And that's exactly what she did have. All the facts pointed to her dumping him, and making everything else good. But for the first time in her life, someone special, outside of her social status, desired and wanted her. She knew it sounded selfish, but she'd had a life of just never being good enough, but now someone, someone popular, good looking...perfect, someone like that desired her. And that was something she wanted to enjoy. 

The rest would sort itself, wouldn't it?


Work was hectic, as usual. The New Year was bringing a drop in temperature and with that came lots of snow. So for the next three days there was little actual ski time. That meant that the resort was full of bored tourists, the creche was full, the bars busy, everyone worked harder. And for Carly that was the best thing. Jens was absorbing a lot of her free time, and Camilla was ignoring her, which was awkward. So much so that she had arranged a meeting with Danica to request a change in rooms. It was kind of avoiding the issue, but she hoped that she could bull shit herself through the situation. She knew she could have discussed it with Jens, but she had to stand on her own two feet. 

That was the new Carly McLellan.

"Hey Carly! How was your Christmas?" Danica asked offering a seat.

Carly smiled nervously, slipping into a seat opposite her direct boss. "it was strange, very busy...then very quiet. Odd. But I enjoyed it. You?"

Danica grinned then flashed a hand in front of Carly, the fourth finger was adorned by a large diamond solitaire, "I was in Norway...where...well you can see..." Suddenly she was a little embarrassed at her over enthusiastic greeting. "Anyway, I'm still hearing good reports. Are you here to discuss the junior management position?"

Carly shook her head, then explained that her living situation was untenable. She knew that by making this stance it was probably make the relationship her and Camilla irreparable. But she had to think of herself didn't she?

Danica took all that she said in silence, then nodded, "I don't like moving things around. I think this will make things worse for all concerned Carly.  I'm not trying to sound like a parent here, but running away isn't going to solve things. Has this feud got anything to do with..."

She didn't need to say the word, Jens, realisation hit Carly between the eyes, she was making herself look trivial and immature over a man. Sighing Carly looked at Danica, "yes, it does seem that the fact that Jens and I are friends is influencing this. I know it probably looks stupid, childish even to come to you like this, but if I could afford to move into an apartment in town I would. I don't have the background support that others have here, it's all I have."

Danica smiled, "I like you Carly, you know that. I don't think it's childish, but I don't think it's a wise move. Try and sort it out with her first, you'll regret it if you don't. I always believe that you should never leave loose ends untended. I've mentioned the junior management position to you earlier. It'll be advertised to staff this week. I think you should go for it. It may be the answer to all your concerns, and I will recommend you. You don't want any warring friendships to sully that."

Carly digested her words for a moment, "thank you Danica. I appreciate your confidence in me, I will deal with this."

Smiling the older woman saw her to the door, and Carly returned to the underground world of the under-eight's.

4 comments:

  1. Camila needs to get over herself really badly not everything is about her, she really is a spoilt brat to such an extent that she fails to think from other person's perspective.

    Well looking forward for the next chapter I just wish Carly is no rebound or 'fun' thing for Jens



    Annie

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really want Camilla and Carly to make up. I'm still not sure about Jens... But then I think.. Maybe he is nice. Arrgh!! Confused here! -_-
    Keep posting.

    Samaira T

    ReplyDelete
  3. i'll just have to wait and see.....
    i do like Lucas,but not really Jens,
    but well i dono


    Mal K

    ReplyDelete
  4. So I've decided this whole Jens thing is just a phase. She can have her fun and spoiled experience but it's not going to last. Not in my mind, at least. Even if this does turn out to be something substantial I'll just make up my own ending ;)

    Keep up the great work!

    xx alisonwonderland

    ReplyDelete