Sunday 17 June 2012

A Different Class - 11


Chapter 11

It was inevitable that he would lead her into the bedroom, and he didn't disappoint her. She'd never met a man so generous, so attentive. Rebecca had never felt so desired, so worshipped, or so well loved in her life.

It was late when they finally lay relaxed in bed, curling up replete but exhausted. Nate, held her close to him, her head on his shoulder, his arms wrapped around her. He was toying with her hair, twirling it around his fingers with one hand, the other was leisurely stroking her arm.

“So do you really have no family?” It was a bolt from the blue, and a question or rather a topic she would rather avoid. But she couldn't ignore it, and she couldn't lie.

She shook her head, “none after my parents. None that I’ve ever found anyway.”

Both hands continued their hypnotic action on her arm and hair, almost as though he was quietening a frightened animal, it seemed he was expecting her to run. “That’s so sad! I know you’ve got friends, but it’s not the same is it?”

She shrugged, “do you confide in your father? You said you’re also not close to your brother or sister…life’s what you make it. Surely? Good friends can be more trusted and important than bad family.” it was a line she'd hidden behind SO many times that she almost believed it herself.

“That’s true, but I suppose I always know that Wiseworth as a home is always there. I can go there and have some familiarity, some comfort and I suppose find memories?”

She nodded against his shoulder, “I have a great place I go to in my mind, our home before my Dad died. It was everything that a home should be. Warm, happy and friendly…Does that sound weird?” She drifted off into her memories.

“No. Not at all. How did your dad die?” He held his breath waiting to see how she responded to that question. 

She took a deep breath, “it was a farming accident. He worked on our neighbour's farm, but he wasn’t cut for physical work...he found it hard, but he wanted to provide for us.” She stopped for a moment thinking about the greed and prejudice of her father’s family that forced a gentle man into such a hard life. “He fell when there was some work being done, and was crushed, died straight away. And that day my mother died inside to.”

He squeezed her close to him, “at least you know they loved each other and were happy for the time they had.”

“That’s true. But my mother’s broken heart meant she killed herself on their wedding anniversary almost three years later. She left me to deal with everything, alone, so whilst she loved him, she didn’t hold me in the same regard…”she sighed again, "I just don't know how a mother can do that..." Her voice faded away and she turned into his body, burying her head into his neck.

“Oh God Bec, that’s so awful. I had no idea…” His mind was filled with the images of her, a child abandoned so cruelly. And all he could offer was the support of his arms around her.

Eventually she lifted her head slightly, “I’ve not told anyone really much about that time. I don’t like to think about it.”

He kissed her lips, a huge protective urge taking over him, “it’s healthy to discuss things. You shouldn’t bottle it all up.”

She shrugged, sliding her arms around his hard body, “I want to remember my parents as we were, happy and content, not a time when my mother could barely open her eyes in the morning. Do you know I don’t even have a photo of them? When she died the house was emptied and it all went. That's the hard thing.”

He could feel the dampness of tears on his chest, “surely we can trace some distant family, an aunt, uncle…someone you don’t remember!”

She sat up and stared at him, “my father married a bar maid’s illegitimate daughter, his family disowned them and forced him to abandon University and take on any job he could find. When he died no one contacted us, and when my mother did too, the same again. I’m not going looking for a family who have snubbed me numerous times, even before I was born!”

Nathaniel Groves was stunned, and speechless. Unable to vocalise any answer to that. He merely held her in his arms, such a hollow gesture, but all he could offer at that moment. "I wish I could say something to make it all better Becca, I really do!"

She smiled at him, “thank you, that’s a lovely thing to say, but you now know why I find it so hard to trust anyone, why I can’t give everything to anyone. But I’ve never told anyone the things I’ve just told you…..I hope that means something to you.”

He stared down at her, "it means everything."

Rebecca cupped his face with her hands and thrust her lips onto his. As much as she appreciated his concern, she couldn't stay in the past for too long, with a wriggle she managed to sit astride him, their lips still joined, but her body there for his exploration, and his for hers. Lifting her head, she looked down at his bare chest, toned with those flat nipples that were more responsive than hers by a long way. Scratching one with her thumb nail she glanced up to his face as he shuddered, his eyes closing and a groan escaping his mouth. 

When his eyes finally opened he stared at her, "what you do to me! You have no idea!"

Her smile lit up her face, and she gave a grind of her pelvis into hers. It blew his mind.

Reaching up he took a breast in each hand, thumbing her nipples expertly, but it wasn't enough. Rolling over, he connected his lips with one of her breasts, nippling furiously, he supported his weight on one arm, the other hand travelled between their bodies, to prepare him for her, but she was too impatient, wrapping her legs around him, dragging her into him.

Nate threw his head back, absorbing every aspect of the moment, he'd never felt so at-one with anyone before. The 'L' word immediately came to the forefrint of his brain, but he bit his lip, silencing himself as he looked down at her. Her eyes were half closed, her arms tossed abover her head, the complete vision of wanton sensuality. He'd dream of that image, he knew that.

How he managed to make this so special Rebecca had no idea, all she knew was that none of her previous partners came close. The way he looked at her, the odd glance or touch, were more erotic thatn anything she'd ever known. At that moment as his body made hers come alive, she truly understood the difference between sex, and making love. 

She woke first and out a pot of coffee on, when she headed back into the bedroom he was still fast asleep.
“It’s half seven” she murmured snuggling back up to him. “I didn’t know what time you wanted to leave.”

He rolled on to his back and trapped her in her arms, “I never WANT to leave, but I HAVE to leave…..a big difference!” He was going to Ascot to watch the horse racing with Patrick. They'd planned it months ago, but she knew he was struggling at the thought of leaving her. 

The next day was Sunday, and it was lunch day. She'd not heard from Tara, but she wanted to see her desperately. So as she made for the pub, she called Lyle and asked him and Johnny to arrive a little later so that her and Tara could talk. 
"BUT WE'RE STARVING!" he whined, "we missed breakfast..."

Bec smiled into the phone, "OK, well come as normal and join in our discussions...you know about feelings and emotions and all that!" 

He spluttered a response and then hung up.

"I've bought you a beer!" Becca announced as Tara and her boyfriend Jase walked through the door, "I didn't realise you were coming Jase." She winked at him and he immediately got the hint disappearing and leaving them alone. Turning back to her friend, she offered a smile, "I;m sorry I snapped."

Tara smiled, "it's me who owes you an apology. It's not my business."

Rebecca took her hands, "you're my best friend, of course it's your business to be scared. I think that you voiced my own concerns. That was why it was so hard, I don't think I believed someone like Nate would be interested in me."

"But he is!" Tara confirmed.

Rebecca bit her lip as she nodded, "he really does, he says he does anyway, and I believe him!"

Tara smiled, "all I want is to see you happy, safe, but happy."

The two girls hugged, it was far less painful than either imagined. Frequently throughout the raucous meal, Tara reached out and squeezed Bec's hand, a sign of solidarity and support. Nate wasn't mentioned until they were all about to leave hours later. 

"Bring him out again? Soon. We all need to give him a second chance!" Lyle announced as they made their goodbyes, and Bec nodded, knowing that they'd realise the next time the sort of man Nate really was.

Nate called Rebecca later in the day to tell her he had to fly to New York the next morning. It was unexpected, another crisis, but in this financially difficult era, problems were plentiful, and he’d be gone for most of the week. She was devastated as she still hadn’t made it up after unloading a whole trauma she hadn’t even thought about for years she was feeling very lonely and vulnerable. Nate must’ve picked up on it in her voice as he phoned her later from the airport.

“You can fly over if you want? I have a few meetings and stuff but I will have the evenings to myself? 

It was a tempting thought, but she really couldn't, “I’m still catching up from ‘the project’! I’m way too far behind with everything, but thanks.”

“Ok, well I’ll call you later then? I’ve got to go straight to a meeting, but should be at my hotel by about ten tomorrow evening your time. Will you be awake? If I’m going to be later than that then I’ll call the next morning.”
“I’ve got nothing on, so I’ll hopefully speak to you then.”

“Ok, I'll miss you Bec, I know you don’t believe it!”

She laughed, “you know me too well! Ever the sceptic! So I’ll see you Friday?”

“More like Saturday morning?”

She sighed reluctantly, “Ok!”

Rebecca hated that she missed Nate so much. She'd only known him for a few weeks, it was weird how integral he'd become to her life. And she hated that reliance, dependence. It went against everything she believed in, she'd been so vehemently independent prior to Nate. Now? She didn't know.

The week was slow, every day dragging by. Nate sent her numerous text messages, emails and phoned loads, but she still felt really alone despite the reconciliation with her friends.  Takeaway Tuesday passed and was pleasantly back to the previous pleasant level. 

But Friday couldn't come around quick enough, Rebecca felt like a child waiting for Christmas. After work she joined her work colleagues for a few drinks.

"So have you sorted things out with your mates?" Sophie asked as they sat legs crossed in a booth watching their boss perform Dirty Dancing with the temp...again. 

"Yes, thanks to you! You were right."

Sophie grinned, "ha ha! Tell my family that, ok? Are you coming on to a club or anything?"

As she was deliberating, her mobile phone rang, Nate.

“I'm just about to board the plane. I could be with you by about three am, I was thinking I could come to you, that is...I hear you cook a mean breakfast and have a very comfy bed!”

Rebecca laughed, “that’d be very nice, I’m sure I can run to bacon and eggs….cos I know American bacon does not cut it!”

He sighed, “That sounds wonderful! Shall I call you to let me in?”

“I’ll leave a key out,” she whispered, “find the third flower pot along to the left of the door, and then under the second rock behind it.”

“Is it safe?"

She laughed, "you'll struggle to remember the directions, so it seems OK!"

"It does seem a little complicated, but I’m sure I can remember it. Can’t wait!” He chuckled, "I really can't."

“Me too, I’ve missed you!” It was a reluctant confession.

He laughed, “at last!!! A sign I’m not banging my head against a brick wall.”

She chuckled throatily, “You are definitely not!”


Rebecca headed home very soon. The anticipation of Nate arriving distracted her from her colleagues conversations. She didn't wake up despite her intentions, but she was fast asleep when she felt two arms encircle her from behind. Burrowing back into the warm body she groaned.

“Is this all the welcome I get?” a warm voice whispered into her ear.

“Hmm mmm!” she grunted rolling in his arms, before planting a blind kiss on his nose.

“Aren’t you even going to open your eyes?”

She shook her head, “in a minute, I had a few drinks, and I feel a little dry mouthed!”

Nate gently kissed each eye, “and a dry mouth stops you opening your eyes?”

She peeped out of one then immediate sat up, “you look awful!” His face was grey, black shadows under each eye, and more stubble than she’d ever seen on him. He still had on his shirt and tie, so she reached out to loosen it, carefully unbuttoning his shirt. “You look like you need a bath and twelve hours sleep!”

He shrugged out of his shirt, then pulled her into his arms, “I’ll settle for a cuddle with you and a few hours sleep!”

But his exhaustion didn't combat his longing and desire for her. Very soon he was wrapped around her, and proving just how much he'd missed her. So it was much later that he finally collapsed exhausted against the pillows, and they both slept until mid morning. 

Rebecca's last thought before falling asleep in the protective circle of his arms was disbelief at how perfect her life had suddenly become.

3 comments:

  1. I don't feel good bout this...
    Still in their honeymoon phase...
    That means a storm is brewing somewhere...

    Mal K

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have a feeling that Nate wouldn't let her family matter go away so easily, I think he's on the tracing phase, who knows they maybe some rich b@$t@rd$



    Annie

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really want to cry. I'm so glad you told us something about Rebecca's past but I feel as if I dont know Nate. I mean i know who he is but nothing about his past, his mother or his relationship with his father.

    To be honest I think they might be in love, I mean even though he has such a busy life, he spends time with her as often as he can. Also both of them do clearly miss eachother when they're apart.

    I'm relieved that Rebecca and her friends have forgiven eachother. And I am so happy that her friends have decided to give Nate another chance. I feel as if something big is gonna happen soon, and by 'big' i mean some thing bad thats may or may not ruin or damage Rebecca and Nate's relationship.

    Great chapter...I am really enjoying this story so far and I can't wait till Nate's father finds out about their relationship. Hoping for more drama and romance to come in the next chapters. Thank you :)

    Post Soon
    Samaira T

    PS: I have a question. How do you think of your character names and are the characters based on true people???

    ReplyDelete