Monday 18 June 2012

A Different Class - 12


Chapter 12

On waking Bec deemed the day a home day, and she refused to let him think about work, commitments or even getting dressed. Instead they ate, drank coffee, read the paper, played music and read books. All the things that Nate admitted he never had time for. And when he looked tired, she forced him to lie on the bed and gave him a much promised massage.

They only left the house to travel together to his. He was stressing about the lack of clean clothes, so she packed an overnight bag and went with him.

Later they sat watching the next stage in her plan to pop-culture him, one of her selection of compulsory films to watch on DVD. He had so much knowledge of the classics, opera, classical music, but he couldn't tell his Take That from The Killers. He needed bringing into the Twenty First Century, desperately.

Sat cross-legged in front of his DVD player, she glanced back at him, so relaxed, lounging on the sofa in a pair of shorts and a t-shirt, a glass of red in his hand. “I can’t believe you’ve NEVER seen Dirty Dancing! You are almost a heathen when it comes to modern culture Nathaniel Groves!” she chided him in jest as the film ended “This is like never reading Pride and Prejudice, or Romeo and Juliet. It is OBLIGATORY! Don’t you know?”

“Well I seem to have had a successful life without ever seeing it!” He shrugged in a non-committal manner, knowing that it wound her up.

Pressing play, she stood, crossing back to him and climbing astride his lap, “do you think that this is living?” She gestured around him, “you live your life by a diary, your home is perfect but lacks life, you are a beautiful man, but lack spontaneity or danger!”

“Finished?” he asked smirking. “Because I will answer every one of those charges!”

She giggled, “you will?”

He nodded pushing her down on to the floor, then kneeling over her he ripped open the robe, she'd put on after her earlier shower, “this room….lacking life?” He leaned forward to nibble at her breast, pulling a nipple into his mouth, then pulled back to look at her again. “And as for spontaneity,” he lowered his shorts over his hips, “and danger...” he hovered over her, before thrusting himself into her, her head rolled back and he groaned. “You are all the danger I need!”

She laughed as his hands brought her up to speed! It was much later when they restarted the film, managing to watch the second time.

Nate was still fighting his jet lag, so they turned in early that evening. It meant she was amazed to open her eyes to see the clock saying nine o’clock and the bed empty beside her the next morning. Dragging his robe around her, she was about to throw open the bedroom door when she froze, hearing a familiar voice…Sir Edward.

“Well you need to think about attending Nathaniel, it means a lot to the family. It’s not as if you can back out of this commitment. You are the next Earl. You know that.” Even the sound of his voice set her nerves on edge, he was so dis-likeable.

He scoffed before answering, “the only think I'm sure of is that I am the future President of Invest bank maybe, but I have never promised to take on a title and the big house and all the shit that goes with it!”

“Nathaniel!” he exclaimed. “Don’t you start using the language of a lowlife, I had more than enough of talk like that in that damned house!”

Instantly Rebecca was alert, she couldn't believe that Nate's father was still talking about the time he spent with her in such an agressive manner. She was so tempted to throw open the door, stun him. But she also knew this was the opportunity to hear how Nate referred to her, whether he'd defend her. 

“For God’s sake father! You were treated with hospitality and welcomed into a stranger’s home, and all you’ve done is complain and abuse that honour. 'Lowlife'? Do you really think that anyone not born with a title is beneath you?" There was a pause when she could only imagine that his father grinned, or nodded as Nate was angry when he added, "Sometimes I hate what you stand for, and you know I have no interest in taking on your role.”

It was Sir Ed's turn to laugh, “It’s not a decision that you can make. And as for that girl, her home was hardly hospitable. It was barely liveable! I don't know why you see fit to defend her!”

“It just so happens I’ve seen a lot of Rebecca since then, and she is a really wonderful person.”

Any pleasure at Nate's defence of her was instantly squashed by the sound of Sir Edward’s laugh, “I’m sure she is, but then there have always been people of her stature in our family history, as employees and what my father called a doxy. So if you are tempted to stray down that road…”

“GET OUT!” Nat shouted, “I’m not listening to this archaic rubbish for a moment more. You are a sexist, opinionated bastard and I want no part of this! Leave.”

“You will be at that dinner Nathaniel. Remember that!”

Devastated and embarrassed she headed back to his bed and buried herself under the duvet before hearing the door close behind him. Rebecca's heart was pounding and nausea threatened to engulf her, she hated Sir Edward, but for as long as she stayed here, with Nate he was always a threat to her sanity and integrity. 

She was still affected ten minutes later he appeared at the door with two mugs of coffee in his hands.

“I thought I was supposed to be the tired one lazy bones!” His voice sounded forced as he smiled.

She shrugged, and rolled to look up at him, sad to see the the tense lines around his eyes, . “What’s up? You look stressed.”

“My dad was just here. That equates to more stress than I’ve ever known.”

Nodding she took a mug from him, “what did he want?”

“The usual…I have an obligation to the family, blah blah blah!” He looked at her sorrowful face, “You heard him didn‘t you?” He didn't need to see the nod as she dropped her eyes to know that it was the truth.“Ignore him, he’s a bigot, he’s means nothing to me or you.”

Lifting her head, staring at him she shook her head, “I can't ignore him, he's your father. He means everything to you…”

“Rebecca, this isn’t the 1800’s! As much as he can't refer to people the way he does, he also can't dictate what I do or how I live my live. I have a career, a home, a life and a woman I love. I won’t give up any of them to be what he wants. Don’t you get that?” His eyes flashed with passion as he glared down at her.

She gulped, he'd said he loved her, but he was so angry with his father that he wasn't even aware of it. She looked at him for a long time, the pleading look in his face, and imagined her father in the same position when he met her mother all those years ago - making the same sort of choices and the disasters that followed. She couldn’t see things happen again.

Ignoring his pleas, his devotion she shook her head again, “I’m not going to be the cause of you making decisions like that.”

He cupped her face in his hands, “there are no decisions being made. We are going to go out and get some lunch, then come back and you can show me another of these compulsory films!”

They had Sunday lunch in a busy pub hidden away in a side street near his, sitting either side of a table with Sunday papers spread out between them, it was the first Sunday in ages that she hadn't joined her friends, but they needed to be together, work this through.

The food was wonderful, tender beef, huge crispy yorkies, and tons of fresh veg and gravy. Perfect, and washed down with a couple of bottles of red.

As they strolled back to his flat, he slung his arm around her shoulders and pulled her close. “That was a really lovely afternoon, nice food, nice wine and the best company!” As she turned her face up to him with a smile, he added, "I meant what I said earlier, I do think I love you!"

Her face was enveloped with shock and she gasped it wasn't an impulsive comment, he'd thought about it! Nate watched her, not expecting a reciprocal comment, knowing that would come neither lightly nor quickly, he could see the confusion in her eyes, so he dropped his lips to plant a kiss on her lips. When he lifted his head again, it was lit by a smile "so what film have you got planned for this afternoon?"

Rebecca paused for a moment, she was so unable to quantify their relationship, but felt she should respond to his comment, now he'd gone and brushed it under the carpet. So she smiled,  “I was going to suggest Pretty Woman...but you look like the jet lag is about to hit you again.”

He nodded, “I’m shattered. But I'll try and last the film out!”

“I’ll go home, you need a decent sleep.”

His eyes widened, “Don’t." It was a plea not a demand, "I just want to wake up with you, cuddle, and all that. But don’t think I’ll manage much more.”

“I’m not here just for the sex,” she chuckled, “though it is very good! I’m only staying if you let me get a taxi home in the morning. The last thing you need is to have to get up early to drive me home. And the gent you are, you’ll want to do it regardless of how you feel!”

He paused and looked her for a few moments, “you know me too well. OK, reluctantly I will let you do that.”

She had meetings that lasted into the evening for the first three days of the week, and Nat had to fly back to Paris on the Wednesday. When he phoned to tell her, he sounded sad.

“I haven’t seen you all week, it’s driving me mad. I’m not normally quite this busy. But I’m taking some time off. Can you?”

She glanced at her diary, “We’re quite busy, so when would you be thinking of? And how long did you have in mind?”

“Not the next two weeks but maybe the week after.  I was hoping we could go away somewhere. Patrick has a lovely little villa on a beach in Spain. It’s empty at the moment.”

Rebecca sighed at the thought of such bliss, her and Nate, alone with nothing more taxing to do than stroll on the beach. “That sounds wonderful. Can I get back to you? I need to check it out with Steve, my boss.”

“We can go somewhere else if you like….”

“No it sounds perfect! I'll see what I can do then call you, how long are you in Paris?”

Again he groaned, disappointed at the reality of them being apart, “If I can get back tonight I will otherwise it’ll be tomorrow. Do you fancy coming over when I’m back? You could even bring things and go straight to work the next day?” She could tell that he was desperate for her to be there.

“Ok. Let me know when. I’m in a meeting between two and five, so you’ll have to leave me a message or speak to me after then.”

He didn’t get back until Thursday afternoon, so Bec came by tube loaded with a suit bag and an overnight bag. As she emerged on to the street from the station she literally bumped into Nate who was coming out of the newsagent. “Hey you!” 

He grabbed her bags and pulled her into his arms, “Hey you! You are a sight for sore eyes!” They kissed passionately, and it took her breath away.

“What you up to?” she looked up at him.

“I was looking for some wine, but they are useless there. I thought we could order in some food. I would cook, but there’s very little in as I’ve been away. My cupboards are truly bare!”

Back at the flat they shared a curry with all the trimmings. Fortunately they both liked spicy things and they actually agreed on the main dish. 

They sat after food just enjoying each other’s company. Bec smiled to herself, not remembering a time when she was this happy, and this content.

As they were lying in bed that night, he dropped a bombshell.

“In three weeks time there’s a party at my father’s it’s an annual thing. I want you to come with me.”

She rolled away from him, “oh no no!” 

He pulled her back, “this is our chance to show my father that we are serious and that I choose. I need you to stand by my side and meet my family and friends. Otherwise we'll always be hiding Becca, and I'm anything but ashamed of this, of you...of us!”

She was shaking her head manically, panic threatening to engulf her, she'd never fainted, but she was close, “Your father has humiliated me, the stories he’s probably told everyone…”

He reached for her face, making her look at him, “So this is your chance for revenge. Your chance to put the story straight. We’re NOT hiding Becca, and I’ll be with you, I won’t leave your side! I promise”

The anxiety and dread were overwhelming, but she also knew he was right. She couldn’t spend the rest of their time together running away. If they were serious she had to meet Sir Ed, confront him and show him how it was.

Taking a deep breath she snuck a little glance up at him, “Don’t tell me. Evening suit and ball gown?”

Letting out a breath of relief, Nate stooped to kiss her nose, knowing that she was agreeing, “and you’ll look stunning! Will you please let me get you the dress? I know you are fiercely independent. But I want to do this!”

She shrugged, “more likely you want me to get something good enough!”

Au contraire! I think you could go in jeans and still be the Belle of the Ball, but, I want you to feel a million dollars. I want my dad to be dumbfounded, for his judgemental head to be stunned, for him to see what I see. And I think I should be responsible for meeting that cost?”

“Ok! I get it!” but she was smiling, "and I'll try not to be offended!"

 Groaning he pulled her into his arms, “You know it's not like that. But the tone for the night will be lavish and expensive. I want to treat you to that expense." He kissed her bare shoulder, "And hopefully we’ll look like the perfect couple, all sun kissed from our week away, .” Lowering his lips a little further he kissed the slope of her breast, "and where will that tan end, hey?"

As he swept even lower she erupted into a fit of giggles, he was so sexy, so funny...and so eager to please her. He was like the perfect man in the perfect package...it was just a pity that she hated his father.

4 comments:

  1. I just wish his father doesn't ruin their perfect relationship,but he'll always be constant reminder somehow, whether Sir Ed remains the same or not!

    Looking forward for the getaway and the ball,really wanna see Bec's makeover XD

    Waiting eagerly for more quick updates ( sorry I feel bad for bullying you :/, the only excuse I have is that your stories are too good to be missed even if its been a day )

    Annie

    ReplyDelete
  2. no no no
    this is gonna be hard
    i can feel it
    but i am not sure how the "great" Sir Edward gonna act

    Mal K

    ReplyDelete
  3. i think his going to be mean to her. but maybe nate will defend her. great story..i love this story. it might be my fave. write soon.
    love,
    nessa

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm scared... no, I'm terrified for her! Sir Edwards going to humiliate Rebecca again, I can just feel it. It was such a relief that Nate stood up to his father when he was saying mean stuff about Rebecca.

    Loving this story. Its honestly a great story... but not one of my favourites...yet. But we never know i might change my opinion. Thank you for posting and love you!!

    Post Soon
    Samaira T

    ReplyDelete