Saturday 23 June 2012

A Different Class - 16

Chapter 16



They sat on the small secluded patio at the back of the coach house, a spread of smoked salmon, Greek salad, warm flat bread, hummus and several cheeses between them.

“So this is just a light supper?” Becca asked as she scooped some hummus onto a piece of the flat bread and reached across to slip it into Nate's mouth. “I’ll be a fat pig if I come here too often!”

He was still looking at the floor as he chewed the food she'd passed him, he’d struggled to make eye contact with her since they’d left the party. “You won’t come again," he eventually offered, "neither will I. I’ll never let this happen again. I am so ashamed. I don't know how to apologise...”

She reached out and squeezed his hand, “look at me!”

He slowly lifted his eyes, she could see the tears he was struggling to hold off.

“Nate, I will come here again, and we will show them how it's only made us stronger and more determined. If that fails and they don't believe it, then we can just take the piss out of them. If we stay away we’re going down the same route as my parents. If we love each other then that is enough. We can laugh in their faces, can’t we?”

He smiled at her, “you should want to walk away from me, and them forever.”

She laughed, “it probably wasn’t as bad as I expected, and I think they hurt you more than they hurt me.”

He touched her cheek gently, “you are too gracious.”

“I’ve been called many things, but never that.” She slipped across the bench and twisted to straddle his knees. “Maybe horny? Eager? Sexy?” As she spoke each word her hands slid down between their bodies knowing that if they got caught up in passion and desire that the differences in their lives, the attitude of their friends and family was far away and forgotten.

His voice was thick with emotion when he finally spoke, gratitude at her acceptance at the ugly side of his life, as well as longing and desire for every part of her, “How about heavenly?” He was sliding his hands up her thighs, “But most definitely insatiable!”


After breakfast they headed back to London, and straight back into the hectic lives they lived. Nate was building up to leaving for a week in New York the following week, and they were both dreading the time apart. They relied on each other so much, and it was only on the drive back that Bec started to see the similarities between them, Nate with his over dominant family, her with her lack of. They both wanted a family who loved them and accepted them, and had maybe spent a long time running from that fact. And now they found that sense of belonging and acceptance with each other.

They returned to the up and down world of their lives with reluctance as despite the animosity between her and his family, they'd loved having the weekend together, especially after their blissful week in the sun. 

Monday was back to reality with an almighty crash. Work, life and friends had all carried on in their absence. Whilst Bec missed Nate that evening, she was gad to have the chance to unpack her holiday bags and sort the house out. It felt like she'd been away months not days. 

The following evening for Takeaway Tuesday, she hosted her friends, three large pizzas waiting on the coffee table in her lounge. It seemed like months since she'd seen Lyle, Johnny and Tara. They gushed in, and within moments she was regaling stories from her holiday. When it came to the Hunt Ball, she was more frugal with the truth. Her friends were so protective and defensive of her, she knew they'd be angry if they knew how the Groves family had treated her. She'd learned a long time ago that for the long term success of a situation like this she had to be careful as to the information she gave them, not lie, but be economical with the truth. The last thing she wanted was them holding this against Nate forever. 

Wednesday Bec had promised to accompany Nate to a polo match. There was a charity event in a London park, normally he played for one of the teams, but this year he promised he was happy just to watch...with her. The differences in their worlds were never more evident than as he led her into the marquee that flanked one side of the polo arena. No expense had been spared, from the champagne fountain that was the centrepiece to the caviar and king prawn canapes that were being passed around like penny sweets. One area of the marquee was busier than the rest, and Nate leaned in and told her that one of the princes was there. 

"Do you know him?" Bec asked Nate as he led her to the champagne fountain. Taking two glasses he filled them and handed her one.

"They were a few years younger than me at school. We were on the same cricket and rugby teams. But other than occasions like this I don't have a 'phone them up' sort of friendship."

It made Bec quake to think that a member of the Royal family might say hello. This really was a different world. Nate noted her nervousness and slid an arm around her shoulders, "you'll struggle to meet anyone as awkward as my father, so whatever happens you WILL be accepted. So stop worrying, ok?"

She smiled nervously, glad of the champagne to sip. They took seats when the game started and he tried to explain the rules as the huge athletic horses thundered around the field, the clunk of the mallets hitting the ball the only contrast to those hoof beats.

half way through the second chukker, Bec felt someone slide along the bench next to her,  the opposite side to Nate. She didn't think anything about it until a voice whispered in her ear, "so is this how the posh boy spoils you? Groves, I thought better of you!"

They both turned to see Patrick Jordan. Bec hadn't seen him since that fateful day a couple of months back when she'd accompanied Nate to the birthday party. 

"Actually I love horses!" She offered with a grin, "and I don't have to pretend to be interested in conversations about stocks and shares!" She ended the comment with an elaborate wink.

Patrick leaned back and guffawed loudly, "priceless!" He glanced up at Nate who was laughing too, "she really is just what you need!"

Nate shook his head, "and there was me thinking that she loved the talk of projections and dividends!"

"So seriously, how was my house? Did Juanita look after you?"

They both giggled, the holiday was so wonderful that thoughts of the house in Spain immediately brought back special memories. Patrick glanced between them, then held up a hand, "on second thoughts, I don't want to know!"

Patrick was great company, and had far more patience than Nate for explaining the intricacies of the game. In fact Nate was relegated to fetching another round of refreshments. Not that he minded, it was a relief to see at least one person in his life appreciating the woman he loved. Patrick was well aware of the problems that Rebecca had faced at Wiseworth. He hadn't expected any less unfortunately, but was really glad that she hadn't let that jade her relationship with Nate. 

She'd agreed to stay at Nate's that night, and the drive back passed in comfortable silence. It wasn't until he pulled into the underground car park at his apartment block that she realised there was more to the silence than met the eyes. 

Stopping the car, he spluttered, “move in!” He turned to her, almost surprising himself with the his outburst. “It makes sense, we can spend as much time together. What do you think?”

Rebecca realised that whilst he may have blurted this request out in a rather uncontrolled manner, he wasn't the sort of person who would make this suggestion without a deal of thought. Whilst it sounded like heaven, she knew it was early days, she thought for a few moments, “Can we do a half way measure? I’ll bring some stuff....stay here and see how it goes?” 

He laughed, “Still pressuring you aren’t I? I’ll take as much of you as you’re willing to give!”

“You know why I’m resisting don’t you?”

He nodded pulling her into his arms, “because you need to sustain some level of independence, you have to keep a safe place in case things go wrong. I understand, I really do. But the thought of waking up with you every morning is so alluring. I leave for New York at 5am the day after tomorrow and I want to leave you in my bed, not think about you lying in another borough miles away sleeping alone. And my place is closer to your work, it's easier for you to get to work. I don't have to worry about you...”

She kissed his nose, “thank you! I can’t think of anything nicer! And thanks for caring!”

So the next day after work, she was waiting patiently for him to arrive, several bags were waiting at the door, along with a box. The ball was still in her court in terms of educating him in her culture.  He was beaming when he bounded into the apartment, pullingher into his arms professing his pleasure at the thought of her living with him, bundling the bags into his car, they headed back to his apartment.

“I thought this was only a temporary measure!” he chuckled as they made the third trip from the car to the lift. She merely shrugged a response, following him back into his home.

There were three huge wardrobes in Nat’s bedroom, and he emptied one of them, saying it was a good excuse to de-clutter. The things he removed he took into the spare room.

“How much stuff have you got?” she laughed as she opened another wardrobe full of suits. "You must have fifty suits!"

“When you wear them for 90% of your life, they tend to accumulate.” He laughed as he emptied a few drawers in the huge chest between the wardrobes.

“Are they all boxer shorts?” she was incredulous at the high mound on the bed. For one man he really did have an excess of everything.

“Two drawers full.....I’ve never been very good at laundry. Before I found ‘a lady that does’ I'd just buy new...I seemed to retain the habit even once I was having things laundered. And this is the legacy I’m afraid!”

She laughed, "I don't think I'll ever understand men!"

Later in the evening she helped him pack for his trip.
“I thought women packed twice as much as men! This is the smallest bag I have ever taken on a trip!”he remarked looking at the thing she'd packed for him.

“But it has more than you’ll ever need! I'm very economical!”

He pulled her into his arms, “see it was such a good idea having you move in! Now I won't break myself in two trying to carry everything!”

Once they were quite sure he was set for the morning they ordered in a Chinese, ate in front of an old black and white film, and had an early night.

She vaguely remembered him kissing her goodbye, but was completely alone when she woke.

4 comments:

  1. Nate is so much giving.I mean he is willing to go at a slow pace just to make her comfortable but for how long would he be flexible

    Love this story MZ


    Annie

    ReplyDelete
  2. love the story and i know i don't comment as much anymore but i still read and love your story. When is bed going to tell him she love him.. why hasn't she brought him to meet her friends yet. They are open to..she should just go with it. I'm pretty sure they will get along. and he can have more friends.
    nessa

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am waiting for the great turn
    Maybe it will come,
    Maybe it wont,
    But anyhow I love the story!!!

    Mal K

    ReplyDelete
  4. I found that incredibly cute when Nate asked her to move in with him. Its so adorable and I'm hoping they stay together. But I sense that there are going to be problems. I hope something does go wrong... What I mean to say is I am looking foreward to more drama.

    I love this story and its amazing how after so much they're still together. Amazing chapter as usual and you never fail to amaze us.

    Post Soon
    Samaira T

    ReplyDelete