Wednesday 5 October 2011

Lost and Found - 11

11


Friday 21st March 2008, Good Friday

Amelia had barely slept, maybe it was missing her best mate, maybe it was because it was a holiday at home, but she was working here, maybe it was the pressure of having to entertain clients for a whole weekend, but her mind was overactive.

Glancing at the alarm clock she sighed at the time, three thirty am, punching her pillow she tried to get comfy but it was to no avail. Reaching for her phone, she dialled Li, her port in a storm.

                “Hello?” Li sounded tired but happy.

                “Did I wake you?”

The squeal that came down the phone line made Amelia instantly happy, “I’ve missed you chicky!”

Sighing she slumped back against the pillows, “me too. How’s tricks?”

Li launched into a detailed explanation of the now finalised cover for her new book, the date for the launch in London was still undecided, Amelia was dreading it, Sol would be there. She’d not told Li who her childhood love was, but when she’d been inconsolable after Sol dumped her, before they’d even got together, her best friend had listened as she’d ranted about the mystery man who’d destroyed her life. Li worked closely with Helena, and the last thing that she needed was to have a different outlook on her new publisher, Amelia knew she was so loyal...she couldn’t do that to her. But it also meant she didn’t have an adequate reason not to attend the book launch, even though it would probably break her heart...again.

So whilst Li gushed, Amelia listened, intently. After a while Li became quiet.

                “It’s like four in the morning with you Am, what’s wrong?”

Amelia smiled, “I just can’t sleep, I’m not going away for the weekend, I wanted to speak to you. When you coming to visit again?”

She’d come over for a week before Christmas, and despite Amelia working in her very recently new job, the two had painted the town red, and managed to squeeze in some shopping and sightseeing. It had really helped her to settle in to her new home, her new life, but that was the only real highlight of the last few months, since then she’d struggled to find her feet, and that was most of the reason that she lay awake at night, worrying.

                “I’d be there tomorrow, you know that. But I’ve got so much to bloody do! I’m being interviewed by a Times journalist this week, as soon as I’ve got this thing up and running I’ll come out, I’ll be searching for inspiration for the follow up book that proves I’m no fluke. That’s where you come in...maybe a novel about this geeky Math head who takes on the world?”

Amelia chuckled, “will I ever lose the geek label?” When Li laughed, she added, “this’ll make you laugh, klutz that I am, I’ve got to go skiing tomorrow.” She explained briefly the events of the evening, pausing occasionally to wait for Li to control her laughter, “so Li, the big question is, will my bosses still love me if I break my leg?”

Li chuckled again, “it’s the outcome if you break Clay’s leg that I’m interested in! Maybe my next book could be a comedy?”

                “Typical! You are supposed to be my friend, supposed to support me!” Amelia tried to hold indignation, but failed. Laughing she eventually hung up and found some form of sleep.

Four hours later she rued her poor night’s sleep. The ever accommodating Marilyn was on the case with the skiwear, promising a full kit out by lunchtime, but Amelia still needed to deal with the ‘dinner’ attire, she was kidding when she protested that she had that all sorted, the smartest thing she had was one of her several straitlaced business suits, hardly the ideal for après-ski. As the morning progressed she started to feel sick with worry, so she sought out Marilyn again.

Marilyn was like an auntie or a gran, friendly, cuddly and very worldly – without being overbearing. Spotting Amelia’s down turned face she’d initially thought the stress was over the ski wear.

                “It’ll be here by lunchtime Hun, don’t worry!” When her face failed to break into the expected smile, Marilyn stood. “What is it? You look like someone’s died.”

Amelia twiddled her thumbs awkwardly, before she looked up at her with a half smile, “there are some evenings out, this weekend...”

Marilyn nodded, “there’ll be a couple of dinners. You worried about what to pack?”

Amelia nodded, “I don’t move in those circles comfortably...”

The older woman stopped her, “say no more honey, I’ll call a little boutique I know, they’ll send some things around. Two dinners, two breakfasts, and travel either way...” she jotted on a pad in front of her. “Take a late lunch and we’ll see what we can find.”

The relief, the gratitude almost overwhelmed Amelia, and laughing Marilyn nudged her back in the direction of her office.

                “So will this all turn to rags and the helicopter become a pumpkin at twelve?” Amelia asked as she twirled in a beautiful cocktail dress, her feet in perfect fitting shoes. She may not be a Cinderella, but this woman was definitely a fairy godmother.

                “You work too hard, enjoy this weekend and go easy on yourself!” Marilyn announced brushing off the gratitude.

Amelia signed a cheque for a gratuitous amount of money, changed back to her business suit, then tried to finish up her day.

To travel there, she had comfortable thick trousers, to fight the weather, waterproof walking boots, and a smart fitted all weather jacket. It was nothing special, but oozed a class that she knew she didn’t normally possess. She was dressed and organising the multitude of bags this brief trip was dictating when Clay tapped at the door.

Smiling he took in her luggage with a grin, “I KNEW you were like the rest underneath!”

She was indignant, “I can’t throw expensive dresses into a holdall Mr Brinkworth, if you ask for ‘smart’ you get smart with all the accoutrements that that entails!”

He was chuckling as he helped her, “I’m joking, this is half the volume I expected. Come on, the car is here.”

As they made for the Stirling offices to board the helicopter, she called a florist and had a dozen lilies delivered to Marilyn, the woman was a life saver.

                “So is no one else coming with us?” There were half a dozen other brokers who worked in the department.

Clay shook his head, “If I’m spending time elsewhere, then I need you to manage the important clients, you’re the one who I’m banking on!”

She glanced up at him expecting to see humour, but he was deadly serious, “really?”

He nodded and the rest of the trip passed in silence, leaving her to contemplate just how important he felt she was to his company.

The helicopter ride was less than an hour, and they landed in a lush winter paradise, there was something so beautiful about the crisp white snow as far as they eye could see. Clay helped her down from the helicopter then between them they carried their bags. A young girl emerged from one of the log cabins that surrounded a central drive way that was partly cleared from snow.        

                “Hi! Welcome to the Stirling resort! Mr Stirling is hoping you can join him for dinner at eight pm, the ski slope is open until seven, it’s floodlit. Shall I show you to your accommodation?”

When Clay nodded, the woman turned and led them along a cleared path to one of the cabins. Showing them in she smiled then left.

                “So I’m sharing with you?” she asked incredulously. “You kept that quiet Mr Brinkworth! Is this an appropriate employer-employee situation?” 

As he saw her eyes light up with humour, he laughed, “we’re not sharing a bed Parkin, chill out!”

The cabin was made up of a large lounge with haphazard furniture surrounding an open fire, and several doors led off the room.

                “You get the pick of the rooms,” he announced, “pick one, then change so we can hit the slopes!”

The all weather jacket and trousers were bulky, but she slid them on and met Clay in the lounge. He was wearing similar clothing. He’d brought gear for her, and nodding led her out into the snowy wonderland.

                “Hey Brink!” a large booming voice came across the open expanse.

Clay slid a whisper out of the side of his mouth, “you’ve not met Jeff yet, be prepared!” before turning back to the larger than life middle aged man who trudged across the snow towards them, “Hey Jeff!”

He accepted the vice like grip and thump to the back, then turned to Amelia, “Jeff this is the brightest spark in our company, Amelia Parkin, Amelia, this is Jeff Stirling!”

Amelia almost grimaced at the enthusiastic and painful hand shake, “I’ve heard a lot about you Ms Parkin, and I have to say, I’ve reserved a seat next to me at dinner this evening. So I can get to know more about you!”

Clay had primed her, Stirling was a self made multimillionaire, he had several ventures, luxury resorts, a chain of executive sportswear shops, and a huge transport company, and dozens of smaller businesses in his empire. He was a widower with three adult sons, and a string of very fortunate mistresses. She had no idea of becoming yet another string in his bow, but she had to be charming. Smiling graciously at the round wrinkled face, the ruddy complexion and tried not to think of him in any more detail.

                 “I’ve heard a lot about you too Mr Stirling, and can I compliment you on such a beautiful resort you have here?”

He grinned, “Splendid! Do you ski?” Sliding an arm around her shoulder in a possessive gesture, she tried to smile, then allowed him to lead her away from the buildings pointing out the various sights around the resort as they made for the slopes.

Every time she glanced at Clay she saw him grinning, face a light with amusement, he’d pay for this she thought repeatedly!

Considering she’d only seen a few cabins, Amelia was amazed to see how busy the pistes were dozens of skiers occupied the snow whizzing along at various speeds and skill. Suddenly Amelia was very nervous, this was one situation she couldn’t bundle her way through blindly, and a spectacular fail could be life threatening.

                “Can I confess Mr Stirling...?”

                “Call me Jeff!” he interrupted with a booming voice and a knowing smile.

                “Jeff, can I confess that I can’t ski, I’ve snowboarded once, but I’m no expert there!”

He laughed, “we have the greatest instructors both ski and...” he deliberately looked down his nose in a humorous yet snobby way as he muttered “snowboard! So we can get you sorted!”

At that moment a group of similarly clad individuals, the snow gear was very unisex and she could tell no more, approached and Jeff began a round of introductions, his East coast manager Walt Smith, another middle aged man who had a genuinely infectious grin, his West coast equivalent the more serious Mary Edmonds, three other male acquaintances and finally his youngest son Cole.

Whereas the other five were older, traditionalists in what she knew was bonafide conservative skiwear, Cole, who was probably nearer her age and far too cool for this group was dressed in this funky caramel and orange coloured check jacket, the same coloured orange flared trousers, and an oversized beanie hat.

                “Now I may be a novice,” she shook his hand, “but I sense you board not ski!”

                “You too?” There was delight in his eyes, and she soon sensed he was gloating over his father.

Laughing she shrugged, “I do neither, but I have sampled a board before!”

Bursting into a radiant smile he clapped her on the shoulder, “typical the only other youngster here plays cool sport too!”

She shook her head, “I’ve tried once, and loved it. Not so keen on skiing!”

Cole looked at his Dad, “sorry pa, looks like this is another heathen! I’m gonna find her a board and we’ll hit the snow, après ski in what? An hour?”

 Grabbing her gloved hand he dragged her away from the group, as she glanced back she saw Clay’s amused face, and then they were gone.

                “So,” she turned to Cole, “do you kidnap and corrupt all your father’s guests?”

He stopped and smiled, dropping her hand, “I hate these weekends, all pomp and ceremony, but then any chance to extend the snowboard season helps. So you’re big in finance?”

They slipped into an easy stride as they headed for the equipment store, “Yep, got moved over from London a few months back.”

                “What do you think of the Big Apple?”

Her smile was a natural response, “it’s cool, hectic, fun. Though I’m not the biggest party goer, I love the noise and the energy, but then I spend most of my time in my quiet little apartment, I’m probably a party pooper really. Wasting my chance!”

                “Well if there’s one thing my Dad taught me, it’s all work and no play make ME a dull boy! I schooled in the City, I loved it.”
               
                “What do you do now?”

                “I oversee the management of the six Stirling resorts, this one here, one near Whistler in Canada, a retreat in Alaska and three in the Caribbean.” When she scoffed he laughed, “I know hard job but someone has to do it right? I’ve got two ultra successful brothers who are my father’s idea of perfection, so I do my job, and bum as much as I can, he thinks I’m a wastrel, who am I to disappoint?”

He kitted her out with a board and boots, then gave her a few basic lessons, within an hour she was sliding down short slopes, loving the exhilaration of it all. But absolutely shattered!

Looking up the now flood lit slopes, she spotted Clay’s blue figure still racing with presumably Jeff, she turned to Cole who’d given up his evening to teach her the basics of boarding, “I’m bushed!”

                “Ok, let’s head for the bar, something to warm us up before we change for dinner?”

Following his lead, very shortly they walked into the bar closest to the slope.

Everyone knew Cole, but then if he was the resort manager then obviously they would, at the bar he ordered two large Glühwein, the barman nodded and reappeared in seconds with two glass mugs full of the hot drink, ornate sugar sticks on the saucer beside each one. Leading her to the open fire place, they stripped of their jackets, hats and gloves then sat opposite each other in comfortable chairs.

                “This is so good,” she announced, sipping the drink tentatively.

Cole smiled, leaning back against his chair, “this bar, the drink or the company?”

Ruefully shaking his head, she half groaned, “You really do believe your own hype, don’t you?”

She’d had a really fun hour with Cole, he had so much patience, so much joie de vivre and his enthusiasm for life was infectious. As she watched him laugh, Amelia could see Cole had every reason to be confident, he was at least six four with collar length dark hair that managed to look ruffled yet groomed despite having been under a hat all day, his dark eyes were a rich chocolate brown, and his face angular with a straight and elegant nose. He wore the most glamorous stylish clothing, and was funny, he ticked every box...but he wasn’t Sol. She was so angry when that thought shot into her head, where had that come from? She wondered. It was hardly as if Cole was even interested in her, she was already comparing him in the same way she did Clay. When would she ever get free of that damned man?











5 comments:

  1. awww small chapter but i loved it finally i can see something nice happening m so happy for her
    Tia

    ReplyDelete
  2. Although there are rare chances of this happening but please lets not make her go to London for Li's book...and if she does lets hope she has moved on like Alexis Carmichael(in Time Changes )lolz on fast-track XD...

    Annie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Opps out of anger I forgot to say yes there are many choices for our heroine

    Annie

    ReplyDelete
  4. hahahaha cole seems so awesome and perfect for her!!!(:

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ughhhh I'm just frustrated now. I can't even explain it and if I tried, I imagine it wouldn't be reasonable anyway. I find Cole somewhat suspicious...And I'm just annoyed at Sol. I feel sorry for him but I'm still annoyed. Bad time for all the guys to make an impression on me, but then, when isn't it?

    Short one from me today, I just returned from a movie and have neglected my homework to check if you'd updated, and I was really glad to see you had! Keep up the great work!

    xx alisonwonderland

    ReplyDelete