Friday 14 October 2011

Lost and Found - 15

15



Amelia fell into Li’s embrace, “you little minx!” She held her best friend at arm’s length before pulling her back in to her arms, “what are you doing here? You told me you couldn’t make it...” Shaking her head she sighed, “I don’t actually care Li, this is becoming the best birthday present ever.”

                “I didn’t know that we could come until the end of the week, but Clay managed to help me find flights, so I thought surprising you would be the best. We’d just landed in JFK when I called earlier, I was dying to see you, but I knew the surprise would be worth it!”

                “How long can you stay?” Amelia asked sliding off her coat then sitting opposite her friend.

                “Till Tuesday...”

                “And you’ve got Monday off!” Clay added, “You almost discovered it yesterday morning, but Marilyn assured me she was discreet!”

Amelia was shaking her head in wonder, “when did you all get so conspiratorial? I can’t believe you pulled this off and I knew nothing!”

They ordered more champagne and various food, then ate and chatted really easily. There were no awkward silences and no stalling topics. Li was so excited to both be in New York and about her imminent book launch. Daichi was a really calm and friendly man, and he seemed to worship Li, and that pleased Amelia more than she imagined. She’d worried about leaving her friend, but now she knew that he was looking after her...taking her place? She shuddered at the thought.

As they finished the meal, Clay suggested a nearby wine bar. Entering the darkened room, he made for the bar with Daichi as the two girls found a booth somewhere in the depths of the bar.

                “He likes you!” Li exclaimed as they sat down.

Amelia snapped her head to look at her friend, “he’s my boss! And he’s a kind man.”

                “That’s it?” Li’s face was incredulous, and Amelia could see she didn’t believe her.

                “That’s it. I like him a lot Li, he’s been a friend to me, I’ve found it hard being here, and he’s been a rock for me. But that honestly is as far as it goes.” She twiddled her thumbs awkwardly as she tried to decide how much she told her friend. Now that the deal was done, would it matter that she knew about Sol? Or would that knowledge still jeopardise things in the future?

The decision was taken out of her hands by the men returning with beer for themselves and Cosmos for the girls. Slipping into the booth next to her, Clay’s thigh pressed up against hers, and she was suddenly very aware of the contact, in the past he’d held her hand, put an arm around her shoulder, there’d been an abundance of physical contact, on so many occasions, but now after the events of the day, she knew she was now thinking of things in a different way. Did she like him? Until now she couldn’t get past her ties to Sol, did this mean she was finally passed him? Finally she could move on? She’d avoided the chance of any intimate situation up until now as she couldn’t imagine getting involved in a relationship that she wasn’t devoted to, and whilst the ghost of Sol flitted so realistically around her life, there’d been no room for anyone else. That’s why she’d ‘dated’ Cole, it was safe, and didn’t risk anything. But Clay? It could be the best thing in the World, but it could also ruin everything, be her downfall.  If Amelia was one thing, it was careful, cautious, but as she watched Clay laughing animatedly, enjoying her friends, a little tug deep in her chest told her that she may be considering throwing that caution to the wind.

After the wine bar they found themselves in a club, dancing and laughing like old friends. Daichi and Li were staying in a hotel, much to Amelia’s annoyance, she couldn’t believe they weren’t staying with her, then Clay leaned in and explained in no uncertain terms that they were still in the early days of their relationship; did she really want to hear her friends during the night? Suddenly she was slightly glad, but only slightly.

It was three am when Amelia watched Li and Daichi disappear in a cab back to their hotel, and she turned to Clay.

                “I’ve no idea how I even begin to thank you for tonight. It’s been...perfect! Thank you so much!”

He grinned, “I’ve had a lot of fun, and I’m going to see you home, there’s no way you’re heading home on your own!”
               
                “I’ll be fine!”

He shrugged, “I know!” Hailing a cab he turned to her, “because I’ll be with you!”

So despite her protests, he travelled the three miles or so from the club to her home. At the apartment black Clay paid the cab then followed her up to her door.

Grinning Amelia unlocked the door then turned to him, “I can’t thank you enough...do you want to come in for coffee?” She asked uncertainly.

                “I’d better not; I’m nothing if not chivalrous...”

Nodding she agreed, “I know you are.”

With that she reached out to drop a brief kiss on his cheek at exactly the time he leaned towards her with the same goal. The result was their lips meeting. Savouring the sensation she let it happen, it was so long since she’d been kissed with any intent or purpose. And it was divine, his lips were firm, moulding to hers, and all innocence disappeared as his lips parted, hers reciprocated and their tongues connected, probing the recesses of each others mouth. Soon they were wrapped up in each other's arms. And it felt natural, it felt right.

With a groan Clay pulled back and looked down at her, his eyes as hazy and confused as hers must be, “I’m definitely NOT coming in for coffee, but I do think that being your lover for Li’s book launch will be the easiest role I’ve ever played.”

Long after he’d left her lips still tingled, and she touched them so frequently trying to relive the sensation of him kissing her, until she finally found sleep.

Thursday 7th May 2008

How could you miss someone so much more a few days after seeing them than you did after weeks of months? Amelia had asked herself that SO many times over the last few days, but still drew a blank. She’d had three wonderful days with Li, and it had been so special. They'd walked, talked and seen more than she thought possible, the highlights of the City, the shops...poor Daichi, he'd disappeared most of the time to do his own thing. But her and Li, they'd made the most of every second. She’d not had time to think about the implication of the kiss from Clay, and she’d barely seen him since. But tonight they were going to a dinner, an evening with clients, and as she dressed she realised she was nervous.

After the kiss he’d departed, left her to her thoughts. On Sunday he’d text her to check she was enjoying her day with Li, and to remind her she had Monday off. When she’d returned to work, he’d gone to Washington for a couple of days to, and she quoted him, ‘schmooze’ some clients and to meet some of his banking contacts. An email earlier this morning had requested her company this evening, it was short notice but she had no plans, other than a date with the last bowl of Li’s famous soup!

The invite was to the only open access room of a gentleman’s club that Clay belonged to. She’d teased him for its sexist connotations, it reminded her of Victorian gambling dens that she’d read about in history books. He assured it was nothing similar, it housed a small gym and a few bars, but as it was a members’ only location, it did hold a slight air of selectivity. Anyone who was anyone in the right circles was a member. The Carter Room was the only room that allowed either non members or women.  Amelia had been there once before, but other than paying $25 for a Mojito, she’d seen little there to discuss.

Nevertheless, she dressed appropriately, her wardrobe was growing a large section of cocktail dresses, and an even larger collection of power shoes, or as Li had commented when she’d visited on the weekend ‘Fuck-me’ shoes!  Amelia had protested, but realised that she was right, they gave her a definite air of feminine authority, and if nothing else they boosted her confidence tremendously!

Walking up to the club, she was nervous. This was a strange emotion for Amelia in terms of a work function, and she realised that it was purely due to her anxiety of seeing Clay again. She really should have dealt with the kiss when it happened, instead she’d ignored it and let it become a white elephant, something you couldn’t ignore, but weren’t really sure how to broach.

Clay was at the bar with half a dozen men and two other females, spotting her he waved her over, and smiling she crossed the room. Introducing her to the eight people who were all potential clients, she nodded politely, unable to focus on anything but the presence of his hand in the small of her back.

She made polite conversation, covering various topics with ease; she was well read and well versed, there were very few subjects that completely flummoxed her. At dinner she sat next to one of the women, Alison Clun whose father was from the UK, so the dinner table conversation was about the highs and lows of Birmingham and Nottingham. Every time she glanced up she seemed to briefly meet Clay’s eyes, but as usual he was nothing but professional, conversing with most of the group eloquently.

Two hours later Amelia was saying goodbye to Alison and the others as they moved off in various directions.

                “And then there were two!” Clay’s voice pulled her from her own reverie and she turned to him with a smile. “You are such a great host on these occasions you know?”

                “You reckon?”

He nodded his hand once again on the small of her back directing her back towards the bar, “champagne? One for the road?”

Nodding she wondered if or when he’d broach the subject of Saturday, and the kiss, or whether that task would fall to her. She needn’t have worried, as he placed the filled glass in front of her he immediately apologised.

                “Sorry for my behaviour Saturday, I kiss you out of turn then disappear for the rest of the week without as much as a word of apology; you must thing me such a heel!”

Amelia couldn’t control her laugh, “Clay! We kissed each other. It wasn’t particularly planned,” she dropped her voice, “but it was hardly hell! In fact I’d go as far as to say I actually enjoyed it!” The smile that lit his face betrayed how really difficult the confession and apology had been to him. “You definitely don’t owe me an apology!”

                “I’m glad, because I enjoyed it too!” he reached out bravely and touched her hand. “I thought about being your date in London as a role to play, but to be honest, I’d love it if we went there as real partners!”

A little later, they parted with another chaste kiss and made plans for a proper date over the weekend.

Friday 8thMay 2008

It was just after two that her office phone rang, she’d been daydreaming of her up and coming date and the ringing had disturbed that.

                “Amelia? It’s Clay! I feel like a real bastard, but I’ve had call from my father, my mother fell today and broke her hip...she’s in hospital and they were planning for surgery, but now they think she may have had a stroke too. I have to go home.”

                “Oh God Clay! I’m SO sorry; of course you have to go. Can I do anything to help?”

                “Not really. I’ll keep in touch, and I’m sorry to let you down.”

Amelia hid her disappointment, “don’t be stupid, there’s plenty of time for me. If you need anything just call ok?”

With that he was gone!

6 comments:

  1. That kiss! I did not expect them to kiss, though I did think they would do some innocent flirting. But I'm not complaining. I can't wait for that "proper date". Oh, and I'm loving her new style. Very posh.
    I'm feel sorry for Clay's mother. But I hope all is fine and he comes back to Amelia with nothing but good news. Like always, continue with your amazing writing skills :)
    - Briana

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm dying to hear from Sol but you are just playing around and not bringing him up...but now on the edge of blasting with curiosity, i'm positive of meeting him in next story....but i really feel sympathatic for Clay,i don't know why.

    ....Terah

    ReplyDelete
  3. The last line left me thinking...would this be good or bad for Amelia

    Although Sol has been away for too long and umm I am expecting his entry anytime soon,but I don't wanna meet him for the moment because I know it would not be good for Amelia and something tells me I'm going to hate him more

    Annie

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was so excited for their date. Kinda gutted he canceled it. I hope clay and her get together. Its so sweet how he surprised her. Loved this chapter cant wait for what happens nect. Post Soon

    Samaira T

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hmmm...I should be happy. I'm not sad, but, I don't know..It's not something I can put to words right now.

    Bottom line is, I just want Amelia to be happy. Whether she will be with Clay or Sol is bugging me.

    Soooo I'm really tired. Can't think very well. Keep up the great work, I'll have a better comment next time.

    xx alisonwonderland

    ReplyDelete
  6. are you kidding me something must be wrong with her if all the men keep saying "ill, hospital, can't make it" blah, blah..she really gotta fix herself. why is everyone cancecling out on her. i hope clay will be able to make it, i wouldnt want to deal with sol by myself but hopefully everything will go great and will pretend that it didnt affect her. and hopefully she wont be screaming at sol, or angry cause that just give him that satisfaction that he twisted you up.
    not good.
    nessa

    ReplyDelete