Wednesday 9 May 2012

Learning to Fly - 28


Chapter 28 - Round Two


Lucas picked a wonderful restaurant. They sold everything from gourmet beefburgers to fresh lobster. At Lucas' insistence, they ordered Chateaubriand to share, and Carly agreed she'd never eaten such a perfect meal ever. Lucas again, selected a heavy red to go with it and the combination was both heady and overwhelming. 

Slumped back in her seat, Carly declined dessert, but opted for a black coffee to end the meal. 

Lucas smiled at her, "I'd never have imagined six weeks ago that I'd spend a day off with you by choice...and enjoy it!"

Carly chuckled, "I was such a bitch, but I'm not the sort of person who does anything by half."

Swirling the thick red wine around the glass, he inhaled the strong bouquet before he glanced up to her, "you're a good person Carly. I knew it the moment I saw you. But I also know how our first meeting must have looked."

Carly smiled at him coyly, "well you both seemed...close!"

He watched her for a moment, knowing that she wanted to know more detail but would never ask, he decided to tell her, after all he had nothing to hide. "I told you before. Camilla was trying to make Jens jealous. I was drunk..." He sighed, "it was the anniversary of my injury...a day I lose every year! And there was Camilla all skimpy dressed, curvy, and in my face." Smiling he gave an imploring look, "what is a man to do? If you hadn't turned up..." He shuddered, "you were the bucket of ice cold water I needed."

Carly felt nervous, there was a tension building between them and she was more anxious than pleased.

"So where to next?" she asked, hoping to lighten the mood.

Smiling he gestured to the waiter for the bill, "I'd love to take you up to the castle, but it's late, and we have to get a train by seven at the latest. So how about the birthplace of Mozart?"

Carly gasped, "really?" 

Lucas watched her face light up and knew he'd done the right thing, "I should have known you'd not read the guidebook!"

  "Who needs to read when there's a man who knows to show me around?" Grinning he accepted the compliment and after paying the bill, led her through the City.


The train back was an exhausting trip, the train was full and they managed to squeeze into two seats in the back of one of the carriages. 

"I've had a great day Lucas, thank you so much!"

"It's nice seeing somewhere through new eyes, I'm glad you loved it as much as I do."

She nodded, suddenly tired, the day of walking, the wine, the stress of the last few weeks. Carly was struggling to keep her eyes open.

A guard shouting the name of a station and wandering through the carriage woke her from her sleep and the ironic dream of snowboarding like a pro. Lifting her head slightly, she realised she was slumped against Lucas, his arm around her shoulder. When she glanced up he was asleep too, his head resting against the train window. 

Carly had no idea what time it was, or how far they were into their journey. Reaching into her pocket she found her phone, eight thirty. She couldn't remember when they were due at their stop.

Sitting up she shook Lucas until he opened his rather bleary eyes and groaned. Within ten seconds he'd ascertained that they were twenty minutes from 'home'. So Carly went to grab a couple of coffees.

As they finally walked back to the hotel, conversation was slightly stilted, but the quietness wasn't awkward. She'd found out more recently that Lucas stayed in a staff apartment on site, it was the other side of the complex to hers, when he stopped at the entrance she used, she leaned across and hugged him.

"Thanks again Lucas. It's been wonderful!"

He nodded, before stooping to plant a friendly kiss on her forehead.


But as she lay in bed that night, the memory of those fleeting moments, that brief contact was having a ridiculous effect on her. Feeling like some hormone ravaged teenager, she spent the night beating her pillow and trying to find that elusive sleep.

Millie's family were due the following week, and this was Carly's final trump card. So when an email came explaining that they had to cancel their trip as his mother was ill, Carly felt the bottom fall out of her world. All the previous emails had been 'written' by Millie, but this one was definitely by Paul.

"Sorry Carly, Millie was so looking forward to seeing you, and your recent request tells me that your in some sort of trouble there. If there's anything I can do just call. I'd always be glad of an au pair for the kids, or there may be a vacancy at my work...we'd just have to wangle a visa. As I say, thanks so much for the invaluable help you've been to Millie. Our lives are so much better. Hope you get through this rough patch, Paul."

Carly groaned, this was it. count down to Jens Round Two was on.

The very next morning, she was called to the management suite, she knew that Paul cancelling was detrimental in that.  In Jens office was the man himself, Markus and two other people she didn't recognise.

"Miss McClellan." Markus led her into the office, "You know Herr Konig, this is Herr Wetzler, the regional manager of Konig resorts," Carly smiled at the rounded middle aged man  who smiled awkwardly at her, "and this is Herr Ramminger, he is the regional Human Resources Manager." This man was both younger and taller, but shared the same unease as his colleague.

Carly again smiled politely, then stared at Jens, but he couldn't meet her eyes, glancing instead out of the window.

"We're here," Markus continued, "to discuss your work conduct!"

Even though she'd been expecting it, Carly gulped in shock, recovering as quickly as she could, she replied almost immediately "I don't believe there are any issues with it."

Jens laughed finally joining the discussion, "au contraire!" producing a large dossier, he started to read through date and time's when she was somewhere she shouldn't be. Keeping her cool, she let him read the dozens of charges, not responding until he closed the wad of papers and looked up at her. "I'm afraid this is a charge of gross misconduct."

Before he could mention the word's dismissal, Carly rose from her seat, liking the fact that she had height over them all.

"For a start, your disciplinary procedure policy - and I presume that this is a disciplinary procedure, states that I," she pulled a document from her bag, and threw it down on the desk, "am entitled to both decent warning, and representation on a occasion like this."

Ramminger looked puce, but Jens shrugged, "policy is at the discretion of the manager!"

Carly laughed, "that's bullshit Jens, as you well know." She paced the room and the two strangers looked increasingly nervous. "Are you sure that you want to take this stance as I think you're making a great mistake."

Jens shrugged, "there is no doubt over this situation. Miss McLellan."

Carly nodded knowingly, then smiled at  Mr Wetzler the regional manager, "I am the victim of harassment and indeed victimisation." She reached into her bag and pulled out a second document, "this highlights the eight counts identified. And this..." A third document landed on the desk, "is proof that Mr Konig received my application for a trainee manager position, something he denies seeing, and it was my anger at his decision to not treat me fairly over this that seems to have precipitated this procedure."

She smiled sweetly at Jens, "after all Mr Konig was SO impressed with my work prior to me challenging him. In fact..." she pulled out a copy of an email. "He sent me this recommendation only  six weeks ago for going above and beyond the call of duty."

Mr Ramminger and Mr Wetzler looked more than uncomfortable, but Carly knew she had to use that insecurity to her advantage. Jens on the other hand looked fit to burst. But even as she watched him, Markus was calming him with a hand on his shoulder.

"Feel free to keep copies of these documents, as I have multiple copies, as well as the originals placed in various safe places that I can call on at any time. And Mr Ramminger," she turned to the HR manager, "Termination in the light of this evidence would class as unfair dismissal." She turned to Jens placing both hands on his desk, "I'm smelling the Euros mounting Mr Konig."

He scowled at her, but his response was cut off by Wetzler, "Miss McLellan, you're right of course. If there is an issue...We would need to investigate."

Carly smiled, "then I'm glad you agree. How about we meet in three days time? Gives you chance to research these ridiculous claims, and search for evidence to argue against my sound claims. Ok? I'm sure in these circumstances I'd be placed on paid suspension, no need contrary to what you've been told, I love my job, so I'll work my shifts. See you Friday gentlemen."

Not waiting for a response, and fighting to control her shaking legs, she left the room, leaving all four men stood open mouthed in her wake.

2 comments:

  1. Way to go Carly!!! I hope everything fall into place for her..

    Avery slow romance budding between Lucas and Carly but at this stage would any romance be good,since Jens is going all out on her conduct!


    Annie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Laughing out loud, literally!! That was amazing!! Loved it!!! Especially when she said: " See you Friday gentlemen." I'm so happy Lucas and Carly aren't fighting anymore. Enjoying the slow romance between the two.
    Really enjoying the confident Carly. She is amazing... wish I could have that much confidence.
    Keep on writing, your doing brilliant. I thoroughly enjoy this story and I am hoping for more to come.

    Post Soon
    Samaira T

    ReplyDelete