Wednesday 16 May 2012

Learning to Fly - 31

Chapter 31 - Operation Clean Up

Carly woke in a foggy place, nothing was familiar, least of all the pair of strong arms wrapped around her, and a comforting smell wafted over her. Opening an eye, she was level with a shoulder, her body turned into Lucas, he was on his back holding her. Lifting her eyes to his, she found him watching her.

"You OK?" his smile was strained.

"I think so..." memories of the previous evening were rushing back, but she was determined that the tears she'd spilled onto his t-shirt over night were the last tears she'd shed.

Lucas smiled at her, "you're going to be fine!"

He, on the other hand, wasn't so good. He had been exquisitely tortured for the whole night. Every time he'd thought he'd found sleep, something reacquainted his body and his libido.  If it wasn't Carly's hand settled on his stomach, it was the exotic smell of her hair or skin, wrapped around his psych or her breath tickling the hairs on his neck. He had barely slept a wink. But he hid that from her, digging deep to find some strength to fight the still optimistic libido.

"Do you want breakfast? I've some croissants, coffee?"

Carly wrapped her arms around his waist and gave him a huge hug, "thanks Lucas." The usual humour in her voice was gone, instead she was deadly serious. "I don't know how I'd have coped the last few months without you. Once I realised you weren't the arse I thought you were!"

He rolled on his side to face her, "there's a hidden side to every compliment, isn't there?"

Chuckling she replied, "I can't let you get too complacent!"

Sitting up, Lucas stretched, the bed was comfortable, he'd not had a bad night's sleep in it, until last night. No amount of blaming the bed would cover his lack of sleep, a rock hard erection had put paid to that. For some reason vulnerable Carly tugged at his heartstrings...he glanced at the ceiling, yeah heartstrings!

Giving himself a little shake, he stood and made for the kitchen, not daring to look back at the invitation that Carly in the bed was.

Lucas had made coffee and was filling croissants when Carly emerged from the shower wrapped in his towelling robe. Gulping he tried not to think of anything, desperate for both a cold shower, and some distance between them. It was the adrenaline, his protective streak, he'd saved Carly from Jens...that's all this was.

Carly wolfed down two of the jam filled pastries, then started on a mug of coffee before she spoke. "I;'m going to speak to Mr Ramminger the HR chap this am. Going to tell him that I can't work about her shift until this is sorted."

Lucas slipped into a chair opposite her, "do you think you can work here again? After this?"

Carly shook her head, that had been the main reason for so many tears overnight, she was settled here, had friends, a sense of belonging. But this latest behaviour from Jens had made the situation untenable. Any hopes of discussing this and staying on to work had been bleak, but now they were impossible. But Carly couldn't think about that. Not now.

Once she'd dressed in her sleeveless t-shirt and loose jogging bottoms, Lucas flinched, her arms bore a series of bruises around each upper arm, the visible signs of Jens grabbing her. He hated to think of the parts he couldn't see. The bastard.

Danica obviously had no idea of all that had happened the previous day, so Carly filled her in.

"I really need to speak to Mr Wetzler and Mr Ramminger."

Danica shook her head, so obviously in shock, "Carly, I am so sorry..."
Nodding Carly sat opposite her, "this has been a mess from start to finish, Jens' behaviour...it's all a mess."

Danica was rifling through her old fashioned Rolodex as she agreed, "the thing is I think we have to go above Wetzler, I'm going to call Herr Konig, Gert, Jens' father. This is too serious to ignore. Are you sure you don't want the police? I mean look at your arms! They'd prosecute him."

Carly shook her head, "I said no last night and I'm not changing my mind. I think I'm vilified in this situation and all I've ever wanted was to clear my name."

She shook her head, "it's crazy...but I can see why you wouldn't want to be pulled around by the police, getting lawyers etc."

Carly nodded, then remained silent as Danica requested Gert Konig's urgent attention.

"He's on his way Carly. Don't travel too far away. Ok?"

She'd spent the afternoon in the creche, after all it was where she felt most happy. Rochelle and Marta were almost in tears, both devastated at all that had happened, and knowing that this would see them lose Carly.

As she emerged before four, the whole place was buzzing with a level of excitement. So Carly turned to the fountain of all hotel knowledge Lucas.

"Didn't you hear the helicopter arrive?" he asked incredulously. "Jens' daddy turned up just before lunch. Unfortunately," he leaned forward, "the 'prodigal' son has disappeared with his partner in crime. So at the moment they're all out searching. It's chaos with a Capital 'C'!"

Carly sighed, "what a mess...it's all so awful."

Lucas reached out and squeezed her hand, "and none of it your fault. Just keep remembering that."

"Excuse me!"  A deep heavily accented voice caused them to pull apart as if they'd been burned. "I'm looking for..."

"Herr Konig!" Lucas announced rather dramatically, hoping that Carly was paying attention. "It's a pleasure to see you here. Can I help you?"

The older man was tall and imposing with an excess of grey highlights in his dark hair, but like Jens he had deep all-seeing eyes. "Thanks you, yes. Miss..." he glanced at his phone then back to Lucas, "McClellan?"

Carly took a deep breath, "that's me. I'm Carly McClellan."

The older man sighed, "well at least that was easy. Could I ask you to accompany me to my son's office?"

Carly followed with a nod, passing a quick 'wish me luck' glance at Lucas.

The office was full, Danica was talking to Mr Wetzler, Mr Ramminger was stood talking to another man Carly didn't know.

"Men can we have some space please?" As they all made to leave, he stopped Danica suggesting she should stay.

Carly felt sick, the last few weeks had been hell, and she hated thinking about it all, it made her feel physically ill. Then there was the thought of discussing it with a stranger. She shuddered.

Once the three men had left the room, Mr Konig smiled at her, "thanks for being so patient."

Carly nodded, slipping her arms out of her jacket, knowing that the visible bruises would speak a thousand words, saving her the effort. Mr Konig flinched, but carried on.

"I understand there has been a great miscarriage of justice here and I'd like to hear your side of the story. After all, it seems that you're the only person who hasn't had a voice."

Carly shrugged, "well Mr Konig, I will be very careful before I mix business and pleasure again."

The older man had a pained expression, "go on."

She sighed before going on to explain how she'd succumbed to a relationship with Jens after so much persuasion, then the problem that precipitated everything, her not being considered for a promotion.

"All that's happened since is incidental really. All I wanted  was the opportunity I was entitled to." She handed Jens' father the documentation that she'd collated and watched as he perused it.

He turned to Danica, "was there any credentials in the things missing from the office? Anything to confirm suspicions?"

Danica shook her head, "not to my understanding Mr Konig."

Once again the older man turned to Carly, "Miss Gunnarsson here has kept me informed of all this Miss McClellan, you can be sure of that. I just wish I'd realised quite how far this had gone. I've heard about the false claims and last night...well. I understand if you want to contact the police and this hotel offers your our full support."

Carly smiled sadly, "all I wanted was to work here and progress, start my career. Now that's over. What will happen to your son?"

The older man groaned, "he is my son, of course I don't want to see him in trouble, but the problem is, he's out of control. It's been getting worse..."

"I think all he wants is your respect Mr Konig. I don't think he feels he lives up to your expectation!" 

Mr Konig sighed, "well almost raping an employee who's been the subject of your victimisation is a sure fire way to impress me!" He shook his head, "Look Carly, may I call you that?" She nodded an agreement and he continued. "My son is very indulged and I've tried all things to get him to take responsibility. Nothing has worked. Now this! I've heard a lot about you, and from all I've read we don't want to lose you."

"But I don't see how I can stay here in any capacity. Even if I sorted things out with Jens...People will talk...it'll be so difficult."

"We could transfer you to another resort?"

Carly laughed, "that would have been a dream come true, but I know that whatever happens I'll not come out of this looking completely innocent. I've spent all night trying to work out how it could work, but I can't."

Mr Konig sighed again, "well then, I think we have to discuss some form of severance package. I will personally give you a glowing reference, and if it helps I can liaise directly with other similar companies? I have a lot of contacts."

Smiling with appreciation Carly shook her head, "thank you but no, I want to get any job on my own merit. A reference is great but that's as far as I'd be happy." Again Jens' father nodded a mutual respect developing between them.

An hour later she left the office with a high six figure severance payment and the aforementioned reference, as well as an assurance that she'd not bad mouth the company or make any further legal claims against them. But she also left with the knowledge that this was the end of her Alpine interlude. She was sadder than she imagined she could be just a few months ago.

5 comments:

  1. Oh my God! She's leaving!!! Ahh! That's so sad...I thought she might end up staying longer. Boo Hoo. I hope something might happen and she would stay longer. Wonder how Lucas and Camilla will react to all this. Hope this turns out happy.
    Keep it up MZ! You totally rule! =D

    Rock on,
    Ranjeeta

    ReplyDelete
  2. What about Lucas and Carly??


    Post soon

    Annie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awww she's leaving? Wow I knew this could happen but now that it has I'm just sad. I've really grown to like all these characters. Oh well, I guess it really is for the best. I loved how Carly only accepted a reference and not an easy way out. And poor Lucas! I couldn't help but smile at his torture. Typical male, but kudos to him on controlling himself. That I can respect so points for him!

    Keep up the great work :D

    xx alisonwonderland

    ReplyDelete
  4. i like lucas. I think he's my favorite male character so far. Patiently waiting for the next chapter. M. C

    ReplyDelete
  5. Shes leaving? But what about Lucas? I'm glad everything is sorted out... Want to know what happens next..
    Post Soon
    Samaira T

    ReplyDelete