Monday 11 July 2011

Starting Over - Chapter Sixteen - Revenge is........


Chapter Sixteen - Revenge is..............



                “What shall we do today?” Jan asked as he handed her a mug of coffee. As she sat up to reach it the duvet slid down her body and revealed rather a lot more skin. “No don’t answer....something’s just popped up!” He winked lewdly as he slid between the sheets next to her.

                “A rare day off together?” She smiled as his hands slipped around her. A week had passed since the party, her sisters had left, there was just the two of them now, and they were spending lots of time together.

                “I was thinking, just stay here. We don’t have to go out do we?” he gave her his best puppy dog eyes and she laughed.

                “As long as you’re prepared to cook, clean and water me!”

                “And more!” he was laughing as he pulled her under the duvet.

Ellen loved the way that Jan overwhelmed her. He was such an unselfish lover, and no comparison to Richard. She shuddered every time she thought of how close she’d come to marrying him. No, Jan was so happy teasing her, tasting her, kissing her, pleasing her, that she repeatedly felt worshipped. But as she lay there out of breath after more orgasms than she could remember, she knew she had to share with him the news that she planned to go home. Only for a few days, but she knew he’d worry, about Richard, her family, and the fact that she may not come back. But she’d left her home six weeks ago for a holiday. She was living out of a holiday suitcase. She needed to pack up her things, she’d given up her flat before the wedding, and the boxes, her clothes, and all her belongings were either in storage or in a spare room at her parents. That couldn’t continue, so she needed to go back to sort it out, once and for all.

A few hours later they were sat watching TV, it was Wimbledon fortnight, so they sat watching Rafael Nadal in a semi final, he was winning of course. It was now or never.

Ellen curled into his body, resting her head against his bare shoulder; he was only wearing a pair of surf shorts.

                “Jan...I’ve spoken to Pedro, he’s agreed I can have a few days off, I’m going home in a couple of days.”

Jan sat up, almost pushing her away in his haste, “you are? Why didn’t you tell me?”

She tried to smile, “I didn’t want to upset our happiness!”
Nodding he looked at her, “do you need me to come with you?”

She smiled, “I love that you’d do that for me, but you can’t get the time off, I know that. And hey, some things I just need to do myself!”

                “Shall I get Louis to put the heavies on Richard again? If he tries to hurt you...”

She placed a hand on his arm, “He can’t hurt me any more Jan, I promise. And I’ll be back in a couple of days with my things; I mean I’ve only got one pair of jeans here...and no shoes.....”

The flight home took just over two hours, she’d not told anyone that she was coming; she couldn’t bear the thought of everyone standing on attention for her. She got a cab from the airport to her parents, but midday on a Monday no one was home. Her father worked only a mile away, so she stowed her empty bags in the garage and as it was a pleasant day, strolled to his office.

Virginia, his secretary, smiled with more than a hint of shock as she spotted Ellen.

                “Wow! Ellen! You look so well...” they embraced like old friends. “I was so sorry to hear what happened...”

Ellen smiled graciously, “thanks, you got your present back?”

Virginia nodded, “I did....you look really well, the sun has done you good?”

Slumping into a seat in the corner of the office reception she nodded, “sun, sea, good company. I’ve even been working...it’s so nice to relax. I’m presuming my Dad is here?”

                “He is! Though he didn’t say you were coming.”

                “He doesn’t. I’ve just arrived and no one was home. My fault for not warning anyone!”

Virginia smiled, “let me just tell him he’s got a visitor.”

As she opened the office door, he father looked up, “ELLIE!” he rushed over, “how are you? You look well, really well! I’ve missed you.” As she was engulfed in a bear hug she felt tears well. She’d missed her father so much.  Eventually he let her go, holding her at arm’s length and saw his eyes weren’t exactly dry either.  “So what have you been doing? Sara said you were working?”

She nodded and briefly explained about her job, how she was living in Palma, “did the girls tell you about Jan?” She asked, knowing they would have.

                “They said you were friendly with a man.”

She sighed, “It’s not what you think Dad, he’s a friend, he’s let me stay at his apartment...alone. He’s helped me get through this.”

                “Then he’s all good in my book Ellen, I’m just glad to see you back. How have you managed to be off work all this time? And how are you going to manage working with Richard? I mean obviously you can stay with us...”

She reached for his hand to stop him, “I’m not staying Dad. Richard sacked me, I heard as I was at the airport about to fly out. I’m going back to Majorca, to my job. I need to just do something whilst I think about what I want from my life. I’ve come back to sort out my affairs; get some more of my belongings. But I’m not staying, I can’t do that Dad.”

His face dropped and he looked devastated, “really? Can we visit you?”

                “Of course. I’m only a plane ride away!”

He’d had to stay in work, but he was happy to give her his key, so an hour later she was in the spare room sorting through bags full of clothes, pictures, CD’s...very soon she’d filled a couple of suitcases to take with her, as well as half a dozen storage boxes to take to the unit she’d rented for her furniture.

She was cross-legged looking at some photos when she heard the front door open, probably her mother. With legs stiff from sitting in such a cramped position, she virtually limped out of the room to the landing. Her mother was at the bottom of the stairs looking up awkwardly, and suddenly Ellen didn’t want bad feeling, this was her mother, no one was perfect, and she had to accept her mother’s flaws. So hobbling she came down to her and fell into a hug as fierce as he father’s.

Her mother had never apologised for anything, and she didn’t expect her to start now, so once the hug was over, she followed her into the kitchen. Then sat telling her about all that had happened as her mother darted around the kitchen cooking dinner.

Once the pasta was boiling, the sauce simmering her mother turned to her, “I never thought Richard was right for you. You weren’t destined to have someone so brash or abrasive; you’re too easy going for someone like him.”

                “You never said...” suddenly Ellen was sad, how had things got so awkward with her family?

Her mother turned to lean against the counter, looking at her, “how could I say that? You’d have resented me for it. And you seemed so happy to be getting married.”

Ellen nodded, “I know,” she remembered the elation as she’d planned the day, and for a few weeks it had been her day, but all too soon Richard and her mother had thrust it from small wedding to something resembling a Royal occasion. “I think I was just glad to have time to be the one making everyone happy...but it got out of control. I mean hundreds of guests? That scared me.”

Her mother looked sorrowful, “I know I pushed you too, but I swear it was because he was railroading the whole thing, I wanted it to be half yours...but I know I ended up getting carried away too. I put more pressure on you...”

It was the first time her mother had admitted anything like this, and instead of some powerful gloating sensation, she felt pity for her mother, this wasn’t as cathartic as she‘d always imagined. “Mum, I don’t blame you for anything, but the pressure of the wedding did seem to take over any relationship I had, I would have seen what he was sooner I’m sure, but hey, I’m over it, over him. I promise. Majorca was exactly what I needed.”

                “And you’re staying there?”

Ellen nodded, “for a while. I don’t know how long. I’ve got a little job, it’s cheap to live there, I’ve made some friends.” She spotted her mother’s eyebrow raise, a knowing gesture, “no Mum, I know the girls told you about Jan, he’s been good to me, what I need. If it wasn’t for him....I don’t know where I’d be”

                “I just worry that you’re too emotionally fragile to deal with this, and it’s so quick.”

Ellen laughed, “It can’t be a rebound relationship if I realised before that I care more about losing Rebecca than Richard. He’s a good man Mum, it’s probably ultimately going nowhere. But it’s what I need. You have to believe that.”

Her mother shrugged, “I can’t think that this isn’t too soon, but I have to trust you Ellen...”

“You’d like him, and he’s honest with me Mum, I know where I stand with him, and he supports me, that’s all I can ask for.”

That evening she sat with her parents and ate the dinner her mother had prepared.

                “So how long are you home for?” her father asked tucking into the pasta alfredo.

                “A couple of days, I want to sort out the stuff I dumped here when I moved out of the flat, pack some things to take back with me.  I’m due to work Thursday, so I have to get back for that.”

Her father shook his head, “all that education for you to work in a shop!”

                “Dad!” She exclaimed, “I enjoy it, and I’m working on what I do next. And I committed to Pedro, I won’t let him down.” She slurped her linguine for a few seconds then turned to her father again, “I’m going to see Richard too.”

That REALLY got both their attention, “Is that wise?” her father sounded concerned.

Ellen shrugged, “he’s nothing to me now Dad, but I want to know the terms of my dismissal, and I want to collect my things. I mean I walked out on my last day expecting to come back.”

                “Do you want me to come?” her father asked, reaching for her hand.

                “I want to deal with him Dad, but thank you SO much for offering.” She’d decided on the plane earlier that day that she’d do this, Jan had talked about revenge, but her it was more about standing up for herself, telling him that he couldn’t treat her like that.

That evening she curled up in her old bed, a few random Take That posters still adorned her wardrobe doors, and the washed out soft blue bedding still smelled familiar and friendly. Glancing at her bedside table she lifted the small photo frame that remained there, a photo of her with Rebecca, in Mexico, a holiday at the end of their first year of Uni. She sighed, it was hard not having a confidante anymore, somewhere to share her doubts over her future with Jan.

At that second her phone rang, it was him.

                “Hey sexy! I miss you!” he whispered. “What are you doing?”

She chuckled, “I miss you too! I’m just about to go to bed; I’ve a long day ahead tomorrow.”
               
                “Yeah? What are you doing? How was it with your parents?”

She explained the affection from her father, the truce with her mother and he expressed his pleasure.
               
                “So tomorrow, I sort out my storage, pack my bags...then I’m going to see Richard.”

Jan was silent, she knew this would surprise him, but she didn’t expect him to be quite so...angry...maybe jealous? “What do you mean? You can’t! I was going to do that with you. He might....”

                “Jan! Jan! It’s ok. I need to do this, close this chapter once and for all. I thought about discussing it with you, but to be honest, I’ve hidden from him, from life, from everything. It’s time to take control Jan, you know that.”

                “If he hurts you...”

                “How can he? I don’t give a shit, so how the hell can he hurt me?” She lowered her tone, “thanks for caring though Jan, it means so much that you’d be here in a jiffy ready to take him on. And for that I’m grateful!”

His voice suddenly warmed, “yes? Just how grateful would that be?”

Ellen was chuckling as she told him exactly how grateful, and just how she’d show that to him.

Most of the next day was spent sorting through several large rubbish sacks full of clothes, most winter wear was put into large boxes along with photos, belongings that she didn’t need for the moment. Her laptop, some CD’s and a select few photos made the cut, so she packed them appropriately into her various bags ready for her early morning flight. Just after lunch, she got a taxi into town, and to the offices of Hamer, Williams, and Broughton Associates.

The offices were the third and fourth floor of a tall mirror windowed building overlooking the Thames. As she stepped into the foyer Ellen found it so unbelievable to try to remember walking into this building every day for the last few years. She was wearing a sleeveless white tunic that had a cut out back, and it showed off her tan perfectly, her skinny jeans clung to legs that her new job, and more likely her active sex life had toned more than ever, and heeled sandals. Her hair was straight, unfussy and she wore no makeup. But as she walked through the building she turned heads. The security guard in reception smiled in recognition, she was well into the life before she imagined the penny dropped as to just who she was.

The actual reception for the company had been painted in the last two months. It had always been bright, fresh, but now it was white, crisp.

Danielle the greeter was smiling automatically as she looked up sensing someone in front of her, then her face curved into a broad smile, “Ellen!” she hissed, “I can’t believe it! You look wonderful! Does he know you’re here?”

Ellen smiled, she’d always liked the slightly ditzy receptionist, “no, it’s kind of a surprise.”

She tapped her nose knowingly, “ok, go on in!”

Along the corridor she passed so many acquaintances, all turned to follow her with their eyes as she made for Richard’s room. She wasn’t sure how much people knew, but she sure as hell had nothing to hide, and despite the attention she didn’t feel at all nervous. So instead she smiled in all directions and marched purposefully along the corridor.

Richard’s secretary Audrey was sat at her desk, tapping away at her keyboard when she felt a presence in front of her.
               
                “Oh Ellen!” Audrey was torn between hugging the younger woman, she’d always liked her, and her supposed loyalty to her boss.
               
                “Audrey! You look as smart as ever! I have a...” she whispered the words “little business” and quoted with her fingers, “but I’m hoping you may join me later, I’d love to buy you a glass of dry sherry?”

                “I’d love to! He’s alone!” She whispered back in hushed tones.

Smiling Ellen turned back to the office and kicked the door open before striding purposefully through to his inner sanctum.

                “Do I need to close my eyes Richard? Or have I really caught you without a scantily clad woman?”

He looked up in shock form pouring over his computer screen, and gasped, but not before he heard the peals of laughter echoing throughout the offices outside.

                “I’m here to sort out my severance pay! As you decided that I was no longer ‘worthy’ of working for you I’m presuming you are about to offer to pay off my contract.” She perched on the edge of the side board in the office, in full view of the other workers via the open door. She was loving the audience, and his squirming.

And squirming he was, “uh...ah...”

                “I mean I presume you are about to offer me severance pay. After all, all I did wrong was find you being sucked off by my best mate and called off our wedding. Certainly nothing that affected my ability to work. So unless I need to contact Louie Ziegler my solicitor.....then I’m sure a year’s salary and a glowing reference is more than adequate. What say you Mr Hamer?”

She smiled towards the door and Martin Hamer one of the senior partners who stood there open mouthed. He had obviously heard Ellen had returned.

He turned to Richard, “Broughton, is this true? You told me Ellen resigned, didn’t want to work here after you ended things with her?”

Ellen laughed, “He always was a liar Mr Hamer, I’m just sorry it’s come to this.”

Martin was nothing if not smooth, “you’ll have eighteen months salary in your account by nine am tomorrow Ellen, and I can only apologise for this....oversight!”

Ellen nodded then turned to Richard, “I feel like Julia Roberts when she goes back to that snotty boutique in Pretty Woman, and I’ve got two words to say to you...” she gestured her hands up and down her body for a second then mouthed, “...’Big Mistake’!”

As she turned to leave the office, she heard a slow hand clap, and it echoed down the corridor as the numerous onlookers joined in, and then she saw who’d started the clap, leaning against Audrey’s desk....a blushing, smiling Audrey, was Jan!

                “Bravo Ellen! Couldn’t have put it better myself.....though I think that I should say the line...” he held out an arm and she slipped past Martin and into the curl of Jan’s arm as he pulled her tight then echoed her words, “...BIG mistake....HUGE!”

With that he led her out of the office and they both laughed as they hit the street.

After a few steps she stopped and turned to Jan, who looked stunning in a black suit, shirt and tie.

                “Firstly what the hell are you doing here? Secondly you look stunning, and thirdly you timing was...perfect!”

He laughed, pulling her into his arms, “One – I told my boss my grandmother was ill...” When she frowned he broke into a grin, “I don’t have a gran, they’re both dead, two – ditto! And three – it was pure luck, but I knew you’d not want me to come with you, so I bribed the beautiful Audrey to tip me off as to when you arrived!”

She was shaking he head in wonder when he added, “I know I may come across as some jealous or petty man, no worse than that idiot in there, but it’s not true, I just wanted to be here, to laugh with you after, and to tell you how beautiful you are, and strong, and brave...”

Tears filled her eyes as she looked at him, and she threw herself into his arms, “thank you Jan, you are perfect, and I love you SO much!”


5 comments:

  1. im so in love with this story its so good to read and no waiting u rock

    ReplyDelete
  2. *GASP* DUN DUN DUNNNN!!!!

    Ahahaha here comes the dramaaaaa :DDD

    Wow, I can't believe she said it. And I'm just anticipating the reaction! Will she regret it? How will he respond? WHAT WILL HAPPEN?!?!?!?! XD

    Hehe, as you can see I am a fan of the caps lock button today :)

    But yes, I did so love this chapter. That office scene was brilliant. I was playing it out in my head and that Pretty Woman reference was awesome. SHAME ON YOU RICHARD. HA! Perfect revenge scene! Thank you :)

    alisonwonderland XD

    ReplyDelete
  3. i juz love the revenge scene
    but but did she say I LOVE U SO MUCH!!!!
    oh my heavens
    pls post soon!!!!!!

    Mal K

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lmao!!! Love It!!! Haha Go Ellen!! Lmao I wonder how Richard reacted after she went!!! :) She finally says I love you to him. I wonder How he'll react!!

    Samaira t

    ReplyDelete