Monday 26 September 2011

Lost and Found - 6

6



Monday 23rd October 2007

Work! Amelia groaned at the thought. She’d barely slept all weekend and the fatigue of travelling was still having an effect. She’d tried in vain to contact Sol the previous day, but again was unsuccessful. So that was on her list of things to do that day. She needed Sol to know that she believed him, and that she was sorry for judging him so harshly.

Martin had emailed her and it was the first thing she saw once she’d booted up her work computer. Becky the assistant to her and the other junior executives brought her a coffee, and she was sipping the dark liquid when the email finally opened.

                Well done Parkin, I hear you suitably wooed the Italian! Great things will come, as promised. Book lunch meeting at the Brasserie for one pm, we’re celebrating!

Amelia gasped, in the almost five years she’d worked there Martin had never so much as taken her for a drink, and other than the odd sandwich or a Christmas party, he’d never really bought her anything. So this was a good sign, a big move. She smiled to herself before setting to work; this was going to be a good day.

It was mid morning before she got the chance to call Sol, so trying the number she’d been calling all weekend, she got through to reception, who passed her to his PA, who point blank refused to disturb his ‘ambient office’ with trivialities. She really needed to speak to him about his choice of staff. Just because they were publishers, flirting with the Art world didn’t excuse incompetency! She was so used to the efficiency of the financial world. Instead she left a brief message; she’d called, wanted to speak to him, and left her work number, anticipating a rapid call back.

All too soon it was one o’clock and she was making her way to the Brasserie, a rather exclusive restaurant a few blocks away from their riverfront offices. Martin was already there, along with another man she’d not met before.

                “Amelia!” they both stood to greet her, shaking hands as he introduced Clay Brinkworth, an ‘acquaintance’. She hid her inquisitive side at the presence of this stranger and accepted the accolades that rained on her after the acquisition of the Italian model, and indirectly through him another dozen clients, a portfolio worth millions.

Champagne was opened and luxurious food ordered. Amelia became a little anxious, champagne usually went straight to her head, and the last thing she needed was to become drunk in this soiree, she knew that this afternoon was ultra important.

                “So,” Clay finally joined the conversation with a soft lilting American accent. “You’re probably wondering why I’m here?”

Amelia was, though she had to admit he was easy on the eye and it was hardly difficult to engage him in conversation, he was witty and amenable. Martin was older and far too serious for her to fully relax in his company, but she’d put Clay at maybe thirty with blonde hair, which was wild, and struggling to be groomed into some sort of sombre style. He had humorous blue eyes and a genuine smile; nope he definitely wasn’t a negative aspect of this lunch. In fact she was more relaxed than usual.

When she didn’t answer he started to explain, he was here from New York, he was a director in a similar company across the Atlantic, he and Martin had been talking about merging for years, it would give a bigger more stable company, they’d been waiting for the right opportunity, and they felt that she was it. They wanted her to join the New York office, as part of that she’d keep her existing clients, but would broaden her own portfolio across the Atlantic.

Amelia was stunned, this sounded like a dream come true. She’d always wanted to work on Wall Street, and that went back to watching Gordon Gekko as a young girl growing up in the early nineties, she swore she watched the film dozens of times due to the content and the story, not any crush on the young Charlie Sheen or even the suave Michael Douglas. This was her chance to break the Big Apple!

She was glad this offer had come after her trip home, she now knew she had no obligations there, instead she had no one to consider but herself. Li was on the verge of making a name for herself, there was no one else who needed her, depended on her. Sol’s face flicked into her mind, what did he mean in all this? Ten days ago he’d been a distant memory, but now?

                “So?” Martin looked at her expectantly and she realised she’d zoned out of the remainder of the conversation.

                “Hey!” Clay slapped his friend on the back, “we can’t throw this at her out of the blue and expect a decision now, this second! Sleep on it, take a day or so, this is a big deal, you need to be sure. Ok?”

She left the meal in a daze, back at the office all pressing issues were dealt with despite the cloud in her mind from this news, fuelled further by lunchtime champagne. She was back home before she realised she’d not actually spoken to Sol.

It’d been a traumatic ten days, from bumping into Sol, travelling to Italy, her father. Emotional, physical and mentally hard. She was exhausted by it all. Entering the bathroom, she ran a deep bubbly bath, then sank her shattered body into it. Lavender to relax, a present from Li last Christmas, as she inhaled it and sank into the water, she realised that this might just be the soothing interlude her suddenly hectic life needed.

Amelia must have fallen asleep. Because she was woken by the sounds of Li calling her name.

                “I’m in the path...give me a sec!”

She climbed out, wrapped a towel around her hair and a robe around her dried body.

Li was excited in the lounge, varying from sitting to pacing the room.

                ”What is it? You look like a five year old at Christmas!”

Li couldn’t contain her exhilaration any longer, “they want me to sign! They’re going to edit then publish my book!”

Amelia whooped as loud as her friend and they hugged leaping around in circles, finally as they calmed the friends smiled at each other.
               
                “I’ve got to go and sign a contract tonight, will you come with me? There’s a party...”

Amelia sighed, it was the last thing she felt like, she was shattered and her bed was calling, but she looked at the expectant face of her best friend, “ok.” She agreed reluctantly, “I just need an hour to get ready!”

Li nodded, her pretty delicate face lit up in relief, “thanks, I love you, you know that?”

Ninety minutes later they were bundling into a taxi, Li looked elegant in a smart suit, and killed heels, Amelia was definitely the poor relation in her favourite black dress, but she was there to support not to take the limelight. It was only as the taxi pulled off that she actually realised that there was a good chance that Sol would be there. She smiled; it’d be good to clear the air, sort things out properly.

                “What’s the party?” she turned to Li as they cut through the dark London night.

                “It’s another launch, but Helena, you remember her?” How could you forget that supermodel? Amelia asked herself before nodding. “Well she’s got engaged too, she wants to announce it tonight as a surprise, no one thought she’d ever get married apparently, so it’s a big thing for her.”

Amelia sighed, “I’d have thought she’d have men queuing up for the chance myself!”

Li took her hand, “sorry this must be so boring for you, I promise I’ll make it up to you when I’m rich and famous!”

Amelia laughed, “I’m just doing this so I can tell my grandchildren ‘I was there’!”

The party was in a converted loft north of the Thames, the large veranda overlooked the river, and steps led up to a small higher platform that looked back to the City, from there you could make out most of the sights of the London skyline.

Li was once again swamped by people as they walked through the door, she looked apologetically at Amelia, but Amelia understood and gave her an encouraging smile, then mouthed “I’ll be fine!”

She meandered through the large open plan room, people gathered in groups taking loudly, drinking the champagne that was being offered from large trays carried by liveried waiting staff. The theme for the whole evening appeared to be afternoon tea, as there were cake stands filled with small triangular sandwiches, the crusts cut off, and equally small fresh cream cakes and pastries, champagne in flutes, of tea in bone china cups and intricate saucers. It seems that no stone was unturned when it came to launching a book, and she found herself looking forward to Li’s launch which hopefully would be soon!

The long light drapes blew in the breeze that came through the slightly ajar doors that led onto the heated veranda. Taking a flute of champagne, she slid out of the doors and into the cold night. Gas heaters warmed the area, and with the ambient lighting, the atmosphere was comfortable. She settled into a seat, watching a boat move along the Thames, the lights reflecting off the rippling water.

                “What is it with you and wall flowering outside parties?”

She froze at the sounds of Sol’s voice cutting through the muffled sounds of the party. She’d missed him so much, more in the last week than she had in the last ten years. Taking a deep breath, she calmed her racing heart before turning to meet his face.

He looked divine, he’d not shaved and his jaw was darkened by the hint of blue black stubble, and where that may make a man look slovenly, on him it only added to the attraction. His eyebrows were pulled together in question as he waited for an answer, and those all seeing eyes made her almost forget the question.

                “It’s not really my scene,” she offered trying to hide how flustered he’d made her. “I’m more of a sit and have a chat kind of person.”

He nodded knowingly, “and you’re here for your friend, she’s very talented, so I’m told.”

Amelia nodded, “she is.” The silence stretched between them as conversation became stilted. “I called you earlier, you didn’t phone back.”

He froze and she could see his reaction of surprise was genuine, “really? That bloody Carmella, did she mention ambience? Or karma?” He shook his head, “I have been out of the office today, but she was supposed to forward me all my calls, seems yet again she’s screening them.” He placed the hell of his hand on his forehead, “sorry Meals, I bet it took a lot for you to call too.”

She shrugged, “I called to apologise. I visited my father this weekend.”

His eyes widened and she could see concern cross his face, “ahh. How was that?”

How was it? She still wasn’t sure herself, she told him how dreadful her father looked, how drained and fragile, then how Alex had more than his feet under the table. “You were right I’m sure, Alex orchestrated all this.”

Sol was contemplative, but he rested a hand over hers, “he wants the estate Meals, you must see that?”

She nodded, “and my father can’t see the wood for the trees, they’re as thick as thieves...”

                “You mean he still hates me?”

Amelia laughed, “Hate’s a strong word!”

Sol sipped at his glass of champagne, then waited for a few people who were finishing their smoke to head back inside, “and you? Do you still hate me?”

She looked at him for an age, suddenly having the confidence to meet his inquisition head on, “I’ve never hated you Sol, whatever you think.”

Sitting back he viewed her from a distance, “really?”

It was true, she couldn’t tell him that the only thing she hated was him leaving her behind, she’d have followed him to the end of the world, she’d always held a candle for him, and time had not changed that. Since she’d walked into that party ten days ago the emotions, the desires and the frustrations of having him and losing him had come back like a bolt of lightning upsetting her equilibrium.

                “I loved you Sol, more than anyone else, in my heart of hearts I didn’t believe you would steal the jewellery, why would you? But,” she met his eyes, “I didn’t believe you’d leave me. And I resented you for that, for a long time.”

He sighed, “What choice did I have? Your father was my guardian, once he’d thrown me out I had to deal with life, plan my future. What could I have offered you? You were sixteen; we had no income, no way of supporting each other.”

Reaching out to place a hand over his she nodded, “I know that now, I’m grown up and sensible, but back then it broke my heart.” She paused as the memories of those days after Sol came to her mind, “I wished I was dead Sol, I’ve not told anyone that before. The next day I was shipped off to a boarding school, and had no love or paternal influence again. I spent holidays with my mother’s sister in Scotland, only contacting my father to organise the finances for Uni.”

He turned his hand palm up to meet hers, entwining his fingers with hers, “so we were both lonely orphans then?”

Pulling her hand away, she smiled, it was all a little too intense, and too much time had passed for them to pretend they were teenagers again. “Something like that.

Sol looked stunned that she’d pulled away and questioned her with his eyes, “Sol...”

                “I love how you say my name!”

Once again she was wrong-footed, “Sol, please, we can’t just pretend the last few years have happened. We’re different people with different responsibilities.”

                “So we can’t be friends?”

She looked at those warm eyes and wanted to melt into them. The passion, the love for him was there bubbling below the surface, but she had learned to be wary. Nothing in life was easy; she knew that more than some.

                “I want us to be friends; I just don’t know if we can be.”

He nodded, “I wish I had your resolve.”

No you don’t, she thought, because it’s breaking me apart. But she merely smiled at him.

                “Meet me, for coffee, tomorrow? We can catch up a bit more; I want to know everything that’s happened the last few years. Please?” There was a desperation in his voice that she couldn’t resist. So when she nodded he grinned. At the point they could both hear Helena calling for him.

Suddenly he turned very white, “shit!”

Standing he looked around as though searching for an escape, but the doors to the loft swung open and a voice announced, “Here he is!” A man clapped him on the shoulder and pushed him enthusiastically into the room.

When Sol glanced back, Amelia felt sick, the look on his face as he mouthed the word ‘sorry’ sent the fear of god into her. What was so bad?

Then she heard the beautiful Helena chirping like the dainty bird she was, “ahh, here he is, the man of the moment, I have great pleasure in announcing that last month on holiday in the Caribbean, we decided that we would get married, this is Sol Tanner, my boss, but also my fiancé!”  

As the room erupted into applause, gasps and whoops of congratulations, Amelia clung to the doorframe, glad of the fresh air of the veranda stopping her passing out. She could almost feel the blood rush to her feet, nausea taking over her body. She’d let her guard down an inch for the first time since he’d almost ruined her last time and this happens. Devastated she tried to cut through the crowds, heading for the exit. Li caught her eye and she made an “I’m sick” gesture, and then reached the door. The last glance back to the room brought her eyes to Sol’s, shaking her head, she slipped out into the cold night, rushing as fast as her legs would take her.

9 comments:

  1. Well when Li mention Helena is getting engaged Sol came to my mind..and look..lets see what happens in the next chapters

    Annie

    ReplyDelete
  2. OH GOD LOVE IT! Can't wait for the next chapter!

    ReplyDelete
  3. OH MY GOD!!! I am SOOOOO sorry for not commenting on anything in forever!! I feel really bad, and I hope you forgive me. But I love everything that you have written! And I just want to say something that I thought was funny, in your last book the nurse's name was Hayley. And in this book Sol's last name is Tanner, my name is Hayley Tanner and I just found it ironic(: Another thing was that all through school nobody could spell my name right and you spelled it my way for the book(: I was really excited about that even though you probably didn't even do it on purpose. Again I love everything you have written and I hope you post again soon(:
    Hayley <3

    ReplyDelete
  4. AHAHAHA WHOAAAAA I WANNA SLAP HIM!!!!!!!! I AM FEELING GLEEFULLY EVIL RIGHT NOW!!!!! NEXT CHAPTER, I NEED HER REACTION!!!!! :DDDDD

    So as you can see, I'm actually kinda glad this happened. Don't know why. I think it's because it gives me reason to hate him, and you know how much I looooove hating on the men :P Let's see how he explains this one, I'm sure he's got something for it/ Good luck getting Amelia to turn up for the coffee, and act civilly! I'd be all weird like sooooo congratulations??? Awkward or what?! I LOVE IT! :DDDD

    Keep up the brilliant work!

    xx alisonwonderland

    ReplyDelete
  5. WHAT?! Really Sol? And I was just starting to feel bad for you! Uhhh, why do guys have to ruin everything.. I hope she gives him a piece of her mind, slaps him causing him to start bleeding than puts him in the hospital! I'm usually not that mean but this got me fired up. Why didn't he tell her for himself? Uhhh, Sol Sol Sol! Interesting chapter by the way:)
    -Briana

    ReplyDelete
  6. hummm thts really bad but still waitting for ur next chapter

    diya

    ReplyDelete
  7. Shes getting married to SOL?!! That cant be!! Shes probably lieing trying to seek attention or something. Because when she called Sol, Sol when pale. So obviously he didnt agree in the marriage. Anyways that was a great chapter Loved It!! Cant wait for the next.
    Post Soon

    Samaira T

    ReplyDelete
  8. Omg! I feel terrible that I haven't read or commented on your stories but my Internet was not working but you can expect to see me on here every time u post.
    This has been an awesome chapter and I assume the rest of the story will be too
    JBieberLover

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ahh! I had a feeling that would happen as soon as it said Helena was getting married. Darn you Sol! And he was trying to hold hands with another girl at his ENGAGEMENT party?! He is definitely on my hate list, at least until he proves himself. Even if he didn't know she was announcing it, it still upsets me because he obviously knew he was engaged, and he should have told her right away instead of leading her on. Excellent chapter! I can't wait for the next one. You're story is purely amazing, just like all of the others. ;)

    Nicole B

    ReplyDelete