Wednesday 26 February 2014

Trying Not to Love You - Part Fifty Two

Chapter Fifty Two
As 12 fotos favoritas de 2013 — Melhor Ângulo

Derek drove silently to the large house, he wasn’t the most talkative, and the further they travelled the more apprehensive Martha became. Since she’d left town years earlier he’d not made any demands on her, but he had paid her a monthly amount to help her keep Ethan safe. Now this request to visit him was anything but gentle and rather out of character. That didn’t bode well.

At the house Derek stopped then rushed around to open her door, then let her into the house. She found Michael in the lounge, pacing.
                “Martha!” He stopped as he saw her in the doorway, “thank you so much for coming.”
She shrugged, “it sounded urgent.”
His eyes widened, “it is. I’ve been investigating...the police are useless, that’s for sure.”
Immediately Martha became defensive, the police? Investigating? He could only be talking about Scott’s death, and she wasn’t willing to be dragged into it. It was nothing to do with her, and she was angry that he thought she wanted to know about it.
Shaking her head she stepped back from him, “I don’t want to be part of this Michael, you have to know that.”
He laughed, “I’m just trying to find out why my son was assassinated in a forest miles from anywhere. A place he should never have been. Won’t you help me?”
Martha felt awkward, “I barely spoke to Scott in five years, he ruined my life Michael, I don’t see how I can help.”
He walked towards her with smile, “oh you’d be surprised. You see whilst Gripper is a bit of an idiot, he said a few things that made me suspicious.”
Again she shrugged, “I don’t see how I can help you, I’m really sorry.” This was all getting a bit surreal.
                “On the night he disappeared, he was on a ‘job’, with someone he’d met a few weeks earlier.” He handed her a photo and when she looked at it, Martha started to feel sick. It was Sonny’s friend Johnny, his old cellmate from prison. She ransacked her brain to think of when he’d been at the house as Michael kept talking.
“I mean this man arrives in town from nowhere, and the first time he’s involved with Scott he goes missing...then turns up dead.” He was now in front of her, “do you think that’s a coincidence?” He could see her hesitation and added, “you’re a parent, can’t you at least think about this? For me?”
Martha floundered slightly, she wasn’t liking the direction he was pushing her.
                “Like I say, this is nothing to do with me Michael, I really wish I could help, and I am really sorry that you’ve lost Scott, but as you know, there was no love lost between me and him.”
Michael nodded knowingly, “do you know this man?”
Martha was forced to look back at the picture and began to wonder what this all meant, “I’m not sure, can’t say I do.”
His smile took on more meaning as he lifted an eyebrow, “you sure?”
Shrugging, she moved away from him, needing to put distance between them, “what’s this about Michael? You’re starting to make me anxious. I need to get home...”
                “He was seen, in the pub, the same night Scott was killed, drinking with your lodger.”
Martha battled to keep her face a mask, she had no idea what was going on, but she wasn’t about to involve him in the rantings of a grieving man.
                “But the rest of the story is quite interesting. Gripper said he and Scott met this man,” he waved the photo, “after he had an argument with your lodger. He then started to hang out with them, and did a few jobs, before HE suggested the fatal job. And as my son was being killed, he was drinking with your lodger.”
The nausea wasn’t easing, she was feeling sicker and sicker, “I don’t know anything about that, as I keep saying, I hope you find what you’re looking for, but this is nothing to do with me.”
Michael laughed, “you think? I hear that you’re entangled with him.”
                “Who?” She turned to face him starting to get angry.
                “Sonny Carter...your lodger.”
She shrugged, “that’s got nothing to do with anything...”
The normally calm man was looking anxious, and she was starting to feel real anxiety, she wasn’t about to tolerate him, a virtual stranger commenting on her love life. “Well for a start there’s my grandson...”
Martha saw red, “Michael please. I have no idea why you bright me here, I know nothing about what happened to Scott; if I knew anything I’d tell you. I can’t imagine what you must be going through. I feel for you, but I know nothing. As for my love life, yes I have started a relationship with Sonny. No it’s nothing to do with you, I haven’t been near a man since your son abused me, so please don’t stand there and make out that he is the latest in a long string of men I’ve subjected my son to. I am not that type of woman. Ok?”
Satisfied that she’d said enough, she made for the door.
                “It’s not the number of men you go near, it’s the type.” When she lifted her eyes, glanced back at him, he added, “a thug, and possibly a murderer. I don’t want my grandson exposed to that.”
Turning she stood hands on her hips and glared at him, “what the hell are you suggesting? I’m sorry you’ve lost your son, I keep telling you that, but I can’t cope with you throwing hints and accusations about my life. And while we’re being honest with each other, let’s take a look at your camp! Because this wonderful son that you are suddenly remembering is worse than Sonny could ever be. Your grandson is the product of violent rape. Have you forgotten that?”
Michael flinched for a moment, but by now they were both angry and defensive, “I mean exactly what I say. That man...” he waved the photo in her face, “is a friend of your so called lover. He arranged for my son to head off one night into the dark, and he never came back. In a week I have to bury him, and I can’t bear the thought that someone instigated his death. And I KNOW you; you wouldn’t want my grandson associating with a murderer. Would you?”
She shook her head in anger, not agreement, “I wouldn’t and I don’t. You are wrong, the night that Scott was killed Sonny was in town, in the pub, and then came home. We spent the night together Michael. Whatever you think, he isn’t responsible for what happened to him.”
                “Are you sure? How well do you know him? I understand he has a history of violence; he’s been in trouble constantly since coming here. The stories Gripper told me...”
She held up her hand, “Gripper? HE is the judge and jury here?” Her laugh was incredulous, “is that what you’re telling me? It’s no secret he hates Sonny, in fact he and Scott beat him up a few months back. And it was me and Sonny who got him arrested for vandalising my farm, do you not think his opinion might be based on revenge?”
Michael laughed, a knowing ironic laugh, “which is what I thought...until Gripper revealed that it was this man...” he waved the photo of Johnny in her face again, “HE was the accomplice that night; he helped Gripper damage your gates. But he got away, Sonny couldn’t restrain him. What does that tell you? My son’s best friend restrained, arrested, the other man, a friend of your lodger escaped. Then he orchestrates the meeting that sees my son killed, meanwhile turning up in the local pub with YOUR lodger and lover. Someone who hates my son, who’d quite easily want to see him dead. You don’t think that stinks? Because me? I smell a rat Martha. Don’t you?”

Martha was thinking on her feet, trying desperately to work out what was happening, what had happened, and her role in it all. And she wasn’t liking her conclusions, the path that her brain was taking said only one thing, that Sonny had lied to her, and quite possibly used her to provide an alibi, a cover. But she wasn’t about to show that to Michael, this was her trouble, hers to digest and hers to deal with, she wasn’t about to implicate Sonny in anything, her loyalty to him was far greater than to anyone else.
                “You have obviously come to a conclusion Michael, but I’m not in your camp, I have no idea what you’re talking about. Sonny’s a good man and had nothing to do with Scott dying, I can swear, hand on heart. Like I say, I’m sorry he’s dead, not for me, but for you. But please don’t ruin any more of my life by dragging me into Scott’s world. I’ve been running from it for years.”
She watched in horror as Michael laughed, a really harsh acrid sound that made the hair on her neck stand on end.
                “Martha, you think that I want your approval? Your cooperation?” Again he laughed, “that’s not what this is about. The police aren’t interested; I’ve been to with them with my ‘theories’ and they aren’t interested. They don’t care about Scott...or me.”
                “Have you forgotten all he did?”
He shook his head, “as I said, this is more about comeuppance, about revenge. That man is walking the streets after killing my son,” when she shook her head, he added, “if he didn’t kill him he was involved. If I find out how, why...I can guarantee you I will hunt him down until he pays for what he’s done.”
Martha shook her head, “Michael you’ve always been reasonable. Why are you saying this?”
When he replied it was a snarling shout that made her quake in her shoes, “because you are sitting there in rose tinted spectacles, and you’ll see what I’m saying. Go home and ask him. See what he says.”

Derek drove her home in silence, there were so many veiled threats in the evenings dialogue, and the more she thought over everything, the more angry Martha became. Sonny knew Johnny, that much was true, but the two of their roles in the whole death of Scott was suddenly imperative knowledge.
Back at the farm she found her father and Ethan playing his favourite game, Guess Who. He wasn’t good at it, but as she usually did her dad was coaxing him along, helping him make decisions. When they sensed her watching them, they both looked up and grinned.
                “Did you help your granddad in the fields?”
Ethan nodded with enthusiasm, “yup. We fixed three fences!”
                “Wow!” She caught him as he hurtled towards her, throwing his arms around her. “You are the greatest farm helper in the world!”
Again he nodded, “tomorrow we’re going to market, granddad wants to get some geese!”
Martha smiled at her father and was relieved when he smiled back, “if you don’t mind. You ok?”
She nodded knowing he’d be curious as to where she’d snuck off, but she wasn't ready to discuss things that she was struggling to cope with in her own mind.
                “Have you eaten?”
Both looked sheepish, so she laughed, “how about I rush into town and get you both take away?”
Her father’s nod was as enthusiastic as Ethan’s.
                “Ok young man, I want pyjamas on when I get back. You hear?”
All she heard were the giggles of the two males as she made for Herman and then zoomed into town.

Three hours later, her father was back from his poker game, Ethan long since asleep when Martha could deal with the suspense no longer. “I need to go help close up the restaurant, check that the orders have gone through.”
                “It’s half past ten...”
She nodded, “Sonny can cope, but it’ll make me feel better if I call in and check. Ok?”
Her father shrugged, “you wouldn’t listen if I said no.”
                “Dad, I have been to the restaurant most nights like this, now because you know that I have feelings for Sonny then it’s wrong? The important thing is that we manage the restaurant, keep the business running, isn’t it?”
That hint of guilt made him step down a fraction, and he could only shrug as Martha made for the door and agree to keep an eye on Ethan.
Sonny was a natural host, he was charming and lively, and coupled with his good looks and edgy appearance he was popular with men and women alike. Martha stopped in the doorway and watched him for a moment, he was talking to a family that were sat near the bar, and the guests were laughing heartily at something he’d said.
Sadness took over her, she knew there was no way that she’d leave that night with the same knowledge she had now, she had to face the fact that Sonny had something to do with Scott’s disappearance, and that angered her. He’d ingratiated himself further into both her heart and Ethan’s, and that wasn’t fair.

Suddenly she realised he’d spotted her; his eyes were warmly appreciating her from the counter. Sam the youngster who was waitressing that night was beside him, and as usual she doted on him, and sensing his focus on the doorway, her eyes followed his, and Martha felt a little embarrassed at the sudden attention.
                “I’m here to sort out the money...” she offered whisking past the two. Sonny smiled as she moved, almost laughing to himself at her awkwardness.
She couldn’t join in; it was all she could manage to make it to the office. Her bravado had failed her for a moment, and she was glad of the sanctity of the office to help her regroup. She had to stand up to him, had to get answers.

                “You ok? You’re quiet.”
Martha looked up from her computer to see him stood at the doorway from the restaurant. “Just busy...everyone gone?”
He shook his head, “no. Couple of tables finishing up. Sam’s gone. Do you want a drink?”
Again she shook her head, “I just want to crack on with this.”
Nodding with a knowing look, he wasn’t convinced, “I thought you’d be straight around here having it in the neck over your father being attacked.”
Martha sighed, that was the last thing she was worried about, she had bigger worries. After an awkward laugh, she dropped her head back to the work in hand, gathering her confidence.

When she emerged from the office, Sonny was stacking the chairs on to the tables before the cleaner came the next morning.
                “What’s wrong?”
Martha took a deep breath, “what have you and Johnny got to do with Scott being killed?”

The confused look she prayed for wasn’t there, instead all she saw was shame, guilt and anxiety. With a gasp of despair she ran back into the office, tears of devastation pouring down her face. 

1 comment:

  1. Oh no.
    I hope Martha hears Sonny out. He deserves at least that. Can't wait to read the next chapter. I'm anxious to find out what happens next. Thanks for the chapter though.

    Samaira T

    ReplyDelete